Eric Duncan

A Very Queer Thanksgiving Weekend Thread | We Here. We Queer. Move On. | 3-Day/5-Day: Black Panther 45.9/64, Strange World 11.9/18.6, Glass Onion 9.2/13.3, Devotion 6/9, The Menu 5.2/7.3 | Daddy Cameron, please save us!

20 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Disenchanted was lovely. I know for a fact I am feeling this because of the nostalgia but to hell with it, I had a great time.

I might watch it tonight. If it was in theaters I'd probably be rushing to see it even with the trash reviews.

• Like 2

The RT scores of the major films this holiday sure as fuck aren't "rotten", that's for sure.

Everyone should go see Fabelman's, Bones and All is a bizarre, IMO try hardish movie that I would not recommend at all. We'll see how Devotion is. 

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Fabelmans is whatever. Michelle's overacting and it's longer than it needs to be. Brilliant Paul Dano performance tho.

Now Bones and All... yum. That's a feast.

We are opposite on all fronts. Williams was terrific and while Dano does well, he is not on her level. B&A has one of the most forced final 15 minutes I have ever seen. So cringeworthy and try hardish, reminded me of American History X ending. General audiences are going to hate that movie. it isn't endearing ala Edward Scissorhands, it just feels like "hey look at us trying to be all edgy!"

Edited by excel1
  • ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

I might watch it tonight. If it was in theaters I'd probably be rushing to see it even with the trash reviews.

It 100% would be our family thanksgiving movie if it was in theaters. Disneys loss is Rian Johnson’s gain tho

• Like 1

Watched Disenchanted a few days ago. I actually re-watched Enchanted for the first time in a decade right before. 

Enchanted wasn't AS good as I remember it as a kid, but it's still pretty witty, has some good laughs, and excellent songs. Still, I think part of why this movie might not age as well is because it was so "new" when it came out; a clever deconstruction of fairy tales, whereas since 2007 we've seen "deconstructions" like this done over and over, and it doesn't feel as fresh anymore. But overall, good movie 7/10 for sure.

Disenchanted was essentially the direct to VOD sequel. The cast is still game (although Dempsey was wasted in this lol). Every second that James Marsden is on screen was awesome, they just didn't have enough of him. But the humour and clever wit from the first one was pretty much gone. It's not an aggressively bad film, it just felt dull. 5/10... maybe, that feels like a bit of a stretch. 

• Like 1

Caught a 3 PM showing of Glass Onion. About 25-30 people in attendance. I thought the first 30 minutes or so were unnecessarily pretentious and even tedious. However things rapidly improve for the next 90 or so minutes before a slight dip at the very end. Janelle Monae is easily the stand-out among the cast as she is terrific. Craig is fine again and the overall mystery was engaging with a rewatch likely to make it a little more enjoyable. Netflix is stupid to keep this in theaters for only a week even if cinemas are not their primary marketplace.