Eric Atreides

***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** AVATAR: THE WAY OF WATER SPOILERS THREAD ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***DID WE MENTION SPOILERS?????***

1 minute ago, Travod said:

I also noticed that shot of Spider looking at her and thought it was kind of odd. But certainly in hindsight he has reasons to mistrust her.

I really liked Lo'ak. 

Still thinking the initial teaser trailer was perhaps better than the movie itself at "showing not telling" the vibes.

Neytiri says at the start that Spider should go live with the humans, she doesnt want him there.

Neytiri stops Kiri from trying to save Spider in the Jungle scene

It's very obvious to know when someone hates your guts, and Spider must have felt that being around Neytiri all the time

I could expound on all my criticisms of the film, but that's not very fun. I think most of them are pretty widely recognized, and I understand where people are coming from when they identify aspects of the film that didn't work.

And yet the film has those magical moments that stick with me. One of my favourite arcs in the film is Lo'ak and his friendship with the Tulkan. I was enthralled by pretty much everything in the water, and the shot of Lo'ak hugging him is one that I picture frequently - thanks in part to the stunning CGI that made that moment feel real. Getting to see Lo'ak's good character (i.e. integrity) through this relationship (and in other ways) pays off emotionally later in the film.

After the set up in the first act, the film had me from then on - and really lands well in the third act. Cameron knows how to pack an emotional punch, at least for me. I had more emotional "ins" in this film than the first (Neytiri was my only one in the original).

Most of all, I'm now genuinely interested in seeing more of this story and how it unfolds, warts and all. This film really opened up the world of Pandora, and I want to explore more of it.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MikeQ said:

One of my favourite arcs in the film is Lo'ak and his friendship with the Tulkan. I was enthralled by pretty much everything in the water, and the shot of Lo'ak hugging him is one that I picture frequently - thanks in part to the stunning CGI that made that moment feel real.

That bit is the most emotional part of the entire film for me, just the way he closes his eye and lets Lo’ak hug him just crushes me. You could feel the pain in that moment thanks to the stunning CGI, it was perfectly animated.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Menor Reborn said:

One very specific gripe I have: when the chief's sons just leave Lo'ak there in the ocean and bait him into calling that predator, how is that brushed off so easily? They tried to get him killed...

I thought about that, so I'm not sure they were actually baiting a predator. They were just making him feel dumb and leaving him.

The pandoran shark wasn't part of their plan

If it was, I agree with you

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Menor Reborn said:

One very specific gripe I have: when the chief's sons just leave Lo'ak there in the ocean and bait him into calling that predator, how is that brushed off so easily? They tried to get him killed...

The chief was visibly disappointed at his sons, but Lo'ak ended that conversation himself when he lied and said it was he who decided to go beyond the reef.

Edited by kayumanggi

4 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

The chief was visibly disappointed at his sons, but Lo'ak ended that conversation himself when he lied and said it was he who decided to go beyond the reef.

Sure, but part of it is that I have a hard time with the fact that Lo'ak himself brushed that off so easily. 

7 hours ago, Menor Reborn said:

Sure, but part of it is that I have a hard time with the fact that Lo'ak himself brushed that off so easily. 

I guess he was tired of explaining himself to people, especially to Jake. And when he saw the chief acting the same way towards his son (although that's a valid response), he lied and claimed it was he who decided to go beyond the reef. When the son asked him why he did it, he said he knew that same feeling of having to explain things to a father (if I remember correctly). But I understand what you are saying. What Lo'ak went through was crazy. Jake would have been furious had he died.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kayumanggi said:

By the way, here is a good read. They still do not answer our questions about Kiri, but we get some clues.

https://variety.com/2022/film/features/avatar-the-way-of-water-writers-splitting-two-parts-kiri-quaritch-spider-avatar-3-1235467883/

Great interview and nice inside into how all these movies came together.

• Like 1

Honestly really excited for the dynamic they set up between Spider and Neytiri. I agree that there's a lot of drama that can be mined there, and I wouldn't be opposed to at least a slightly more gray conflict between humans and Na'vi.

Hope we can make it A5 and get back to Earth, that sounds awesome.

• Like 1

Two big mistakes I think the film made were killing off the oldest son and letting Spider save his father.

I get they want the big bad back for more films, but having Spider save him after seeing all the death and destruction he caused really made his character look dumb.

Story was blah with this but man, it could be that its been a while since ive seen a movie in theaters, but this one went HARD on the audiovisual front. If i would watch it at home i would probably give it like a 4/10, but in Dolby Atmos ... it was noice.

2 hours ago, Frozen said:

Two big mistakes I think the film made were killing off the oldest son and letting Spider save his father.

I get they want the big bad back for more films, but having Spider save him after seeing all the death and destruction he caused really made his character look dumb.

The dreadlocks and loincloth already did a perfectly good job of that. Seriously, not even talking about the dreadlocks being "problematic" or whatever, James Cameron must have realized at some point that the character LOOKS ridiculous (also the kid can't act either). I was trying so hard not to laugh every time he was onscreen.

• Haha 1

On 12/21/2022 at 4:31 AM, stephanos13 said:

I think he will switch sides in the upcoming movies.

Yesss let's mine that drama! I didn't hate him, but the seeds are there to add that, because having wht's his face be the antagonist for maybe the 4th movie in a row would be too much.

(I know the next film is #3 but I expect him to go off the grid for a time and truly learn and live as the Na'vi ... and learn absolutely nothing about their way of life.

7 hours ago, Frozen said:

I mean Spider is still a kid, intentionally letting his dad die would weigh on him forever regardless of what he's done.

• Like 2

On 12/26/2022 at 4:45 PM, MOVIEGUY said:

The dreadlocks and loincloth already did a perfectly good job of that. Seriously, not even talking about the dreadlocks being "problematic" or whatever, James Cameron must have realized at some point that the character LOOKS ridiculous (also the kid can't act either). I was trying so hard not to laugh every time he was onscreen.

I kept calling him Tarzan Boy in my head

On 12/27/2022 at 3:36 AM, Frozen said:

I disagree, Spider save his father make perfect sense after his father choose to let go Kiri over Spider's life. Not to mention Quaritch save Spider from flashlight torture earlier in the film.