The Wild Eric

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

1 minute ago, Alligator Zatt said:

The French might need to forget that today existed. Losing an World Cup when you have an awful team like in 2014 stings, losing for a team that it’s arguably your equal might sting even harder, like when Brazil lost to France in 1998.

The South remembers, France.

France won last edition though and they reached and fought bitterly. They have done their part and gave us a beautiful game to remember by.

1 minute ago, Alligator Zatt said:

The French might need to forget that today existed. Losing an World Cup when you have an awful team like in 2014 stings, losing for a team that it’s arguably your equal might sting even harder, like when Brazil lost to France in 1998.

The South remembers, France.

What France needs is to make sure than they don't take the match to penalties. 

They lost 2 finals this century in Penalties.

7 minutes ago, XXR Tulkun Rider said:

That was my thought. It's like deciding an NFL game by field goals. Why not just do a hard OT (after extra time) with the 1st to to score gets the win?

they tried that with the ‘golden goal’. 

It ended up with teams being too afraid to go for it through fear of conceding 

penalty shootouts - although horrible to lose - are fair ultimately. It’s not luck to win one. Comes down to technique and nerve under pressure.  Argentina held their’s today, and France didn’t. 

overall, Argentina were the better side and deserved to win in my opinion, but France’s resilience to come back from the dead so dramatically was absurd. 

The most dramatic match considering its prize I’ve ever seen. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, wildphantom said:

they tried that with the ‘golden goal’. 

It ended up with teams being too afraid to go for it through fear of conceding 

penalty shootouts - although horrible to lose - are fair ultimately. It’s not luck to win one. Comes down to technique and nerve under pressure.  Argentina held their’s today, and France didn’t. 

overall, Argentina were the better side and deserved to win in my opinion, but France’s resilience to come back from the dead so dramatically was absurd. 

The most dramatic match considering its prize I’ve ever seen. 

Out of reactions but well said.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

What France needs is to make sure than they don't take the match to penalties. 

They lost 2 finals this century in Penalties.

Zidane didn’t deserve to win that ‘98’s World Cup. But deserving isn’t what football is about. And that’s why it’s so beautiful when the stars align and someone so legendary like Pelé and Messi get to write their name in football’s history.

@ZeeSoh this kinda reminded me there's some uncanny resemblance with how India won 2011 world cup for Sachin. Similar situation this time with Argentina winning the cup for Messi. Both were playing their last world cup. Both are legends of their respective games. There was drought for so many years until they both finally lifted the trophy.. 

Edited by Nero
  • Like 1

Just now, Nero said:

@ZeeSoh this kinda reminded me there's some resemblance with how India won 2011 world cup for Sachin. This time Argentina won for Messi. Both were playing their last world cup. Both are legends of the game. There was drought for so many years until they both finally won it. 

There's a difference 

Messi actually performed in the final.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Nero said:

@ZeeSoh this kinda reminded me there's some resemblance with how India won 2011 world cup for Sachin. This time Argentina won for Messi. Both were playing their last world cup. Both are legends of the game. There was drought for so many years until they both finally won it. 

Me an AB Devilliers fan reading this 😢😢

1 minute ago, The Dark Alfred said:

WATAIR DOMESTIC CROWN BATTLE  - AVATAR 2 VS TGM

DAY 2: (SATURDAY) AVATAR 44.5m (ESTIMATE)

DAY 2: (SATURDAY) MAVERICK 38m

WATER TEMP: WARM (+6.5m , +14.6%)

CUME: AVATAR 97.5m (ESTIMATE) VS MAVERICK 90m

SEA LEVEL: MINUS 621.3m

WATER FLOW: 775m

Wait what lmao 

28 minutes ago, Nero said:

You know I wasn't going to watch the game because in my mind I thought if I watch it I am going to jinx it. Same thing happened I started watching after Argentina took 2-0 lead and lo and behold france came back. After that I didn't watch the first half then Argentina again scored I watched the match only to France score again. At that point I was very frustrated lol. I had given up but then it went to penalty and I thought fuck it I'm gonna watch no matter what happens. I'm very glad that I could witness History..... My heart was pounding like crazy the whole time.. 😅

I went to the washroom for the last 10 minutes I was sooo scared and just could not take it lol. I missed the last Messi goal and then the Mbappe penalty. Also missed half of the penalty shootout. But my attempt at hiding was in vain because I could hear my mom cheering or shouting anytime anything major happened lol

13 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

I think he's basically saying that Penalties are lottery in a sense.

Compared to actually playing the game and earning your goal.

Luck may play a slight part to it but it mostly depends on the skills of the goalkeeper and the player taking the penalty. There are people in each team who analyzes each player past penalty shoots and then help inform the goalkeeper. There are goalkeeping coaches who train goalkeepers for these thing. On the other hand players are also informed by their team as to which way the goalkeeper is likely to jump based on analyses. 

10 minutes ago, XXR Tulkun Rider said:

That was my thought. It's like deciding an NFL game by field goals. Why not just do a hard OT (after extra time) with the 1st to to score gets the win?

Problem with the first goal scored wins after ET is that a goal may not come soon enough. I mean its not unusual for entire matches not to have a goal score. It is possible the players could be on the pitch for hours before a goal comes. It just is not feasible

9 minutes ago, Korra Legion said:

My understanding is that this was not a large problem in this instance.

Of course really problem is downstream of playing a sport where people don’t score enough ;) 

Yeah for this particular match yellow cards were not an issue (red cards are though). But that was a minor point. The most important aspect imo is diminishing performance as time goes on and the increasing chance of injuries. 

As I mentioned earlier, this game had almost an hour of extra time over the normal regulation time of 90 minutes. That is unprecedented in itself. 

As a fan I've seen

India winning 2007, 2011

England winning 2019, 2022

West Indies winning 2016

Rajasthan winning 2008

Kolkatta winning 2012, 2016

So I've been blessed with my favorites winning lots of tournaments, and yet 2015 WC SF stings and sticks out everytime i remember it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Korra Legion said:

You uhh… can, though.

If people are too tired to play more soccer, settle it on Mon 😈

Bruh. That might only happen if the game scheduled on particular date couldn't be played for some particular reason. I think you should pay attention to other sports outside US too because similar situation happens with different sports 

AVATAR edges over the weekend, Sunday are nearly identical.

WATAIR DOMESTIC CROWN BATTLE  - AVATAR 2 VS TGM

DAY 3: (SUNDAY) AVATAR 36.5m (ESTIMATE)

DAY 3: (SUNDAY) MAVERICK 36.7m

WATER TEMP: COLD (-0.05%)

CUME: AVATAR 134m (ESTIMATE) VS MAVERICK 126.7m

SEA LEVEL: MINUS 584m

WATER FLOW: 724m

Edited by The Dark Alfred
  • Like 3