The Wild Eric

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

7 minutes ago, Noctis said:

The Martian was easily the least interesting of the bunch.

Gravity is just Sandra Bullock acting like Sandra Bullock in space.  The Martian is a tightly written procedural and one of the best ensemble pieces of the 2010s with killer production design and gorgeous vistas

17 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Once again want to state that the only reason the kind of discussion is happening now over a movie that's opening to over 100m domestic, locked for a billion ww and probably much higher, and is looking incredibly likely to pass 500 million dom is the insane overhype lol. Subtract that and this'd be discussed as a genuinely very good result.

Yep. That, and it's the sequel to the biggest movie ever. Personally I think the huge expectations are fair game. That's one of the things that comes with wild success.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Puss making 200 already seems like overperforming to me tbh, 300 seems nuts. Not seeing that much interest for it.

Almost everyone I know with kids are taking their families to it this Christmas. Not saying that means much, but I personally am.optimistic.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lion Roar said:

Interstellar was 10/10 until the ending which was an absolute travesty, ruined the entire movie that came before and dragged the whole thing down to a 6/10 at best. 

Arrival > Martian >> Gravity >>> Interstellar

Interstellar's ending is the best thing about it.

• Like 1

Arrival 9.5/10. Fantastic in my top 10 of all time.

Martian. 8.5/10

Gravity.   8/10.

Interstellar 8/10. ambitious and could have been an all timer but some elements of the ending and some dialogue didn't work for me.  Hans Zimmers score is out of this world.

Love this movie but it just good when it could have been great. Script dragged this down.

2001. Watched this months back. It's quite slow and had to watch in two sittings but still love. Direction from kuberick is simply masterful and the suspense and fear of the unknown  is used to brilliant effect , score was unsettling. This movie is more unsettling than lots of horror we see  today. 

Opening sequence is quite something,your like what the fuck is going on but intrigued at the same time.  8/10.

Sequel is solid 7/10 and love  ending.  This two movies capture the essence of the mystery of the unknown and what is humanity's place in the universe and time .?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Verrows said:

Yep. That, and it's the sequel to the biggest movie ever. Personally I think the huge expectations are fair game. That's one of the things that comes with wild success.

That's true but I think the writing was on the wall for it, people just didn't listen. There was a happy medium between "AVATAR 2 WILL FLOP" and "AVATAR 2 WILL SURPASS EVERYTHING ELSE" which just wasn't followed for better or worse.

EDIT: And for all I know next week it'll have a drop of like -1% or +5% or something insane and this thread'll age poorly lol It's not likely but hey who knows

Edited by Mulder
  • Like 2

dont yall think that the fact that avatar's daily are already matching the rise of skywalker and that poision word of mouth movie did $515m means avatar is already a lock for $500m? Am i crazy for thinking that it seems super simple and logical with the fact that it has great wod and not much competition. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

I know I maybe selling a hope here but neither TGM, Elvis or Where the Crawdad sings show significant sign of leggy run in their IMx during OW.

This is exactly what I have been thinking! 

I thought if a movie got a great WOM, the IM of the OW should have reflect this already or at least give a sign but more often than not, we only see strong hold in the subsequent weeks. 

3 minutes ago, shruth said:

dont yall think that the fact that avatar's daily are already matching the rise of skywalker and that poision word of mouth movie did $515m means avatar is already a lock for $500m? Am i crazy for thinking that it seems super simple and logical with the fact that it has great wod and not much competition. 

They’re not matching? TROS opening Saturday was $47M+. Also, the calendar configuration was more favorable in 2019. I do expect it to surpass TROS but I wouldn’t call it a lock just yet.

1 minute ago, XXR Tulkun Rider said:

They’re not matching? TROS opening Saturday was $47M+. Also, the calendar configuration was more favorable in 2019. I do expect it to surpass TROS but I wouldn’t call it a lock just yet.

how is the calendar configuration more favorable? Regardless of how christmas and christmas eve falls on a certain day (which i dont even think matters that much, people are gonna go watch the movie regardless if they want to) I actually think this year is more favorable. Rise of skywalker was released on the 20th whereas Avatar 2 was released on the 16th. Thats 4 more days of people having more free time to watch the movie until the new year. 

15 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Arrival 9.5/10. Fantastic in my top 10 of all time.

Martian. 8.5/10

Gravity.   8/10.

Interstellar 8/10. ambitious and could have been an all timer but some elements of the ending and some dialogue didn't work for me.  Hans Zimmers score is out of this world.

Love this movie but it just good when it could have been great. Script dragged this down.

2001. Watched this months back. It's quite slow and had to watch in two sittings but still love. Direction from kuberick is simply masterful and the suspense and fear of the unknown  is used to brilliant effect , score was unsettling. This movie is more unsettling than lots of horror we see  today. 

Opening sequence is quite something,your like what the fuck is going on but intrigued at the same time.  8/10.

Sequel is solid 7/10 and love  ending.  This two movies capture the essence of the mystery of the unknown and what is humanity's place in the universe and time .?

2010: 9/10

Martian: 9/10

Arrival: 8.5/10

Gravity: 8.5/10

Interstellar: 8/10

2001: 3/10

Though I agree with you on the power of the narrative that 2001 has, I didn't really feel that power when actually watching the film. 

Edited by Menor Reborn

7 hours ago, Gkalaitza said:

The only hope for humanity to advance space exploration at a faster rate. Give Cameron an 1 billion dollar budget and 10 years for a space movie

Would Cameron be able to do it though? He is already planning for avatar 6&7 so until those get made he would be too old