The Wild Eric

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

1 minute ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

The Chinese opening weekend projections cratered to around $50M. It's looking more and more like Avatar 3 will indeed be the final chapter. I wonder if Disney will get worried and delay it to December 2025 to try to course correct.

I'm sure they will panicking over a 1.8B grosser and cancel everything.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

The Chinese opening weekend projections cratered to around $50M. It's looking more and more like Avatar 3 will indeed be the final chapter. I wonder if Disney will get worried and delay it to December 2025 to try to course correct.

Course correct what? The fact that China is having a wave of Covid? 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I'm sure they will panicking over a 1.8B grosser and cancel everything.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather Disney be grateful for such a number in today's market and still see Cameron's full vision through. I don't really expect them to.

Edited by BadOlCatSylvester

Just now, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather Disney be grateful for such a number in today's number and still see Cameron's full vision through. I don't really expect them to.

With the total collapse on they animation department and the realistic oversaturation of the MCU for a portion of the audience, i think they'll be thankful with a NWH type of numbers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Course correct what? The fact that China is having a wave of Covid? 

The reactions here are getting so absurd. If the film goes down to 1.6b ww or some shit like that which is probably worst case scenario on terrible ER+covid boomed china that is still the most any non-avengers film from Disney could even do in this environment. Yeah the trend as a whole is disappointing but you would think the film is tanking left and right, holy fuck.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

This dude is saying 29 M - 32 M for Friday alone. 60 M is low, I think.

His number is wrong, estimates went down a lot through the day as walkups were weak. Which makes sense if you consider the covid wave, I guess - if people were going to risk it they would probably have preordered anyway. 

• Like 1

Just now, kayumanggi said:

Wait, he has given an updated number. This movie is lucky it still could open in China. At this rate, I think the cinemas might be closed again.

Situation reminds me of Tenet in the US tbh (on a different scale, movie wise and population wise in China).

• Like 2

Honestly, it's doing great. The only reason this won't open with 600M WW is China collapse which nobody can do anything about it, but other than that, i really don't see the reason for so much doom & gloom, the OS thread is simply insufferable rn. 

And there's still a world cup hurting it's OS figures.

• Like 3

Seems like (even tho this would have undeperformed big expectations) this is as adverse of a a global situation for releasing the movie as any in the last 3 years. Outside of the peak of simultaneous Covid global lockdowns.

Like even earlier in the pandemic pandemic period it could have easily hit a stretch were most of China's big cities werent in lockdown and Covid was at low levels there and in 3-4  months from now China will be forced "learn to live with Covid" and move on like the rest of the world after this big wave thats starting rn peaks and passes.  Exchange rates and Russia taken out of the market make 2022 even worse of course but we are probably in the worst period for ER for a movie thats overseas heavy and they reasonably stand to get better in the coming years

Edited by Gkalaitza

3 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Incorrect. Getting 2 billion is breaking even.

Everyone here knows it doesn't need 2B to break even on a 350M budget, even Cameron himself already said It actually needs to be on 8th or 9th biggest movie to be a big success (which means the 3rd or 4th talking was the numbers back on early 2010's). 

Media will use this absurd info forever, but at least here stop spreading fake news

Edited by ThomasNicole

19 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

The fact that a lot of the discussion around this franchise is about how nobody cares about it and it's sequel should be enough reason to believe there is a lot of people that don't have any good expectations about it.

My point is that the brand awareness is already pretty strong - people know and have opinions about it. There’s not much in reviews/WOM that make me think it’s different or better than what was already expected, which means less shifting down the line

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I should had prepared myself for stupid and ignorant posts like this but I guess I wasn't prepared.

Course correct what exactly?

- Great audience scores everywhere worldwide. You just have to look the individual threads in the International Box Office sub forum.

- Great critical reception.

- Nominated for bunch of awards for Best Picture and Best Director (Critics Choice, Golden Globes etc.) and will get nominated at the Oscars as well.

Edited by stephanos13
  • Like 2