The Wild Eric

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

Saw it last night in a mostly empty theater. Wasn't 3D or any special screen, guessing that was a factor in the low attendance.

Going to see it again in Dolby 3D on Saturday, probably a much fuller theater.

Excited to watch the $$ over the next few weeks.

2 minutes ago, M37 said:

My point is that the brand awareness is already pretty strong - people know and have opinions about it. There’s not much in reviews/WOM that make me think it’s different or better than what was already expected, which means less shifting down the line

I understand your pov, but i mainly disagreed because i know a LOT of friends and colleagues that are giving it a chance after years of mocking the first one and they liked a lot. 

I do believe good WOM about the experience can make people give it a shot in such a empty landscape. 

But like i said, i understand your point.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

But since the OG Avatar have 82% on audience score, 95% is actually 1300% increase in people loving it. 

4 billion locked! 

(yes i know they change their metric)

There’s no way to get 1300% here — the biggest number you can analogously get to my original statement using (82,95) is that 260% more people disliked avatar 1

(yes I know you’re joking, I am engaging deadpan as a continuation of the joke)

• Haha 1

Just now, Korra Legion said:

There’s no way to get 1300% here — the biggest number you can analogously get to my original statement using (82,95) is that 260% more people disliked avatar 1

(yes I know you’re joking, I am engaging deadpan as a continuation of the joke)

I admit i didn't even do that math... what kind of BOT member i am hahah

• Haha 1

Hey everybody. I know that we're about to get numbers soon. But I wanted to tell everybody that BOT's Coen Brothers Countdown is officially over and the list is complete. Feel free to see just how well your faves, whether they be O Brother or Fargo or Hudsucker Proxy, had done.

And of note, we will host both a Top 100 Warner Bros. Movies and Top 100 Disney Movies countdown next year, in honor of both studios' 100th anniversaries. So to all of you Cameronites, remember to vote for Way of Water in the latter countdown next year!!!!!

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Everyone here knows it doesn't need 2B to break even on a 350M budget, even Cameron himself already said It actually needs to be on 8th or 9th biggest movie to be a big success (which means the 3rd or 4th talking was the numbers back on early 2010's). 

Media will use this absurd info forever, but at least here stop spreading fake news

Dude, it's a joke. Blame the egomaniac Cameron for it. He deserves this, he said it. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Wait, he has given an updated number. This movie is lucky it still could open in China. At this rate, I think the cinemas might be closed again.

Even that updated number of 25m for OD-previews is way too high. Right now it is heading to around 19m OD-previews. Projections yesterday were for about 31.5m

16 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

Will this beat age of Ultron record for highest grossing dissapointment ?

(this is a joke post as getting nearly 2 billion dollars is a huge win)

If its around NWH then yes this will steal AOU's crown of highest grossing disappointment. 

9 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Everyone here knows it doesn't need 2B to break even on a 350M budget, even Cameron himself already said It actually needs to be on 8th or 9th biggest movie to be a big success (which means the 3rd or 4th talking was the numbers back on early 2010's). 

Media will use this absurd info forever, but at least here stop spreading fake news

Dude relax, you are going way overboard in your stanning for this movie. That poster was joking about the 2b breakeven point which Cameron had himself said

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

For those who will not read the article

- 58% adults plan to see the movie but not necessarily in theatres

- as per the same poll Guardians 3, Across the spiderverse 2, John Wick 4 and Captain America 4 have higher (albeit slightly) want to see numbers than Avatar 2 with Guardians leading at 60%

- Of the 58% adults who want to see the movie 21% said they plan to see it in theatres which is the highest amongst all movies but only 1% higher than Guardians and Avengers

- The poll has movies beyond 2023 but the date is skewed towards movies releasing next year rather than those coming out later

- Avatar 2 does lead handily in terms of people wanting to see it in 3d or PLF's with only 1/3rd saying they want to see it in standard 2d screen

• Like 1

I liked the movie quite a lot, though the story was very cliché and on par with the marvels in terms of "been there, done that".

That being said, I think it will end up at about 1.7B WW, which is great for any movie but quite worrying for this one. 

I don't see it getting 3 more sequels unless they manage to cut the budget down greatly. I would love to see some form of conclusion for the story, so hopefully they give Cameron the right time to adjust and probably end it with Avatar 3 as a trilogy.

10 minutes ago, XXR Tulkun Rider said:

Question of the Day

The last movie to sell at least 80 million tickets domestically was Avengers: Endgame. Will we ever see another film sell that many tickets, domestically?

I really doubt it. As theater admissions continue to decline that window is closing real fast.

12 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

For those who will not read the article

- 58% adults plan to see the movie but not necessarily in theatres

- as per the same poll Guardians 3, Across the spiderverse 2, John Wick 4 and Captain America 4 have higher (albeit slightly) want to see numbers than Avatar 2 with Guardians leading at 60%

- Of the 58% adults who want to see the movie 21% said they plan to see it in theatres which is the highest amongst all movies but only 1% higher than Guardians and Avengers

- The poll has movies beyond 2023 but the date is skewed towards movies releasing next year rather than those coming out later

- Avatar 2 does lead handily in terms of people wanting to see it in 3d or PLF's with only 1/3rd saying they want to see it in standard 2d screen

If this data was 100% representative of what ends up happening, it would translate to 30-32 million adult ticket sales. 

• Like 1