The Wild Eric

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

7 minutes ago, shachi86 said:

Even Titanic with its 21x, while impressive, wasn't that unusual. It came out at a time where 10+ multis were still very common and just the year prior Scream had a 16x.

Scream was a 6 millions opener in 1,400 theater you can find large multiplier still today in that context, Titanic opened in 2,600 theater in the context that a James Bond movie would in 2,800. Was it still common for movie starting fully wide ?

Non sequel original giant success, Liar liar, Men In black and other huge success did not do 10x, excellent 5-6x, Jerry Mcguire did 8.8x has an holiday release.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

I wanna see it in IMAX and the only closest IMAX to me (PVR) has tickets starting at 1000+ and going all the way to 1900 for shows after 12pm (AM shows price start at 700-800 which is crazy) and no way in hell am I paying that much for this or any movie for that matter (maybe except Avengers). Max I paid was like 700-800 or so for NWH opening weekend. 

This PVR has not scheduled shows beyond Sunday for now so I'll see what the price is like and then decide. Unlike with SH movies I can wait for this for a few days/weeks.

Yes I'm also planning to do the same. Might have to wait until 3rd week for prices to get back to normal for IMAX so I can watch it. I wanted to know if pvr has hfr or not? 

It will be the end of an era, the era of counting the virtual billy Avatar 2 will do, enter the era how much would it have done without COVID, China issues and so on, counter balanced by showing how strong like in 2009 the US dollars was on release.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

It will be the end of an era, the era of counting the virtual billy Avatar 2 will do, enter the era how much would it have done without COVID, China issues and so on, counter balanced by showing how strong like in 2009 the US dollars was on release.

Hey Barnack 👋. Long time no see. How are you doing? You are not that active anymore:(

11 minutes ago, Nero said:

Yes I'm also planning to do the same. Might have to wait until 3rd week for prices to get back to normal for IMAX so I can watch it. I wanted to know if pvr has hfr or not? 

I couldnt find that info on PVR's website or on Bookmyshow. I also looked at PVR's twitter but no info there either. BEst option would be to call the theatre you wanna visit and ask them, though I doubt the person answering would know if the screening is in HFR or what HFR even is for that matter. 

8 minutes ago, Nero said:

Hey Barnack 👋. Long time no see. How are you doing? You are not that active anymore:(

2020-2021 movie slate took away my habit of following movie release almost completely, looked a Top Gun at little bit, I could not even say how much the last Jurassic park did worldwide.

Avatar news made my thought about it, was not clear how good or not it was, made me thought of looking back this message board for some clew, I have yet to know.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

2020-2021 movie slate took away my habit of following movie release almost completely, looked a Top Gun at little bit, I could not even say how much the last Jurassic park did worldwide.

Avatar news made my thought about it, was not clear how good or not it was, made me thought of looking back this message board for some clew, I have yet to know.

1 Billion baby 1 Billion 😀

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Scream was a 6 millions opener in 1,400 theater you can find large multiplier still today in that context, Titanic opened in 2,600 theater in the context that a James Bond movie would in 2,800. Was it still common for movie starting fully wide ?

Non sequel original giant success, Liar liar, Men In black and other huge success did not do 10x, excellent 5-6x, Jerry Mcguire did 8.8x has an holiday release.

That's certainly true! I guess what I'm trying to say is that the 21x needs to be taken with the context of the year it was released in. While the movies you mentioned didn't have a 10x+ multi, movies like There's Something About Mary, Austin Powers, and The Sixth Sense certainly had.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

Meanwhile at Sony

Sony has gone insane on these garbage "villain" (aka akshually heroes that act a lil naughty sometimes) flicks. They are going to try making a film about anyone that has appeared in a spiderman comic at this rate.

• Thanks 1

It's well documented (in the trades and EW) that the Weinsteins fudged Scream's numbers to get it past $100M and that the real number as is low as in the 80M range. 

They did the same thing with Scream 2's opening, reporting it at 39M. But this time people said "NO!" and they had no choice but to revise it to 33M. 

Also, it's easier to have legs when you open to 6M than when you open to 28M. 

• Astonished 1