The Wild Eric

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

Titanic multi was not common at those levels. Nobody had seen the like since ET. 

You can’t compare a multi from a smaller number to one that started at $28 million and finished a couple of hundred million dollars above the then highest grossing film of all time?!?! It was playing like no film had in 15 years and no film has played like it since. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, wildphantom said:

Titanic multi was not common at those levels. Nobody had seen the like since ET. 

You can’t compare a multi from a smaller number to one that started at $28 million and finished a couple of hundred million dollars above the then highest grossing film of all time?!?! It was playing like no film had in 15 years and no film has played like it since. 

Right, the number at which it starts is key. ET opening to 11M and then having those legs was what made it tremendous. It's more impressive than Flashdance opening to 4M and legging it out to 90M+ (a tremendous feat in its own right, but not ET level). 

• Like 1

While it's certainly possible Avatar 2 could end up having insane legs and I'll end up entirely wrong, I think applying Titanic and Avatar to it as a 1:1 isn't quite the most logical idea tbh. Both Titanic and Avatar were original films and also just came from entirely different eras of box office. Avatar 2's a sequel in an era where legs are overall getting worse. While this isn't like the case for everything (Look at Top Gun: Maverick's insane run) I also don't think it should just be assumed it'll happen again. We'll see for sure over the next few weekends though.

• Like 6

59 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

I couldnt find that info on PVR's website or on Bookmyshow. I also looked at PVR's twitter but no info there either. BEst option would be to call the theatre you wanna visit and ask them, though I doubt the person answering would know if the screening is in HFR or what HFR even is for that matter. 

Yeah true that xD. I wish IMAX 2D option was available because 3D generally is less bright and normal 2D screens aren't good.

I also feel like overhype is definitely responsible for the 'disappointment' that this is 'only' (Potentially) going to do 100+ OW and 500 dom and 1-1.5 billion worldwide lol. Many franchises WISH they were making those numbers but this is the issue with overhype.

• Like 1

Deadline - it's $55M Friday, unless it's not.  It's $150M weekend, unless it's $120M, but those $120M people don't have access to presales.  I kid, but I don't...

https://deadline.com/2022/12/avatar-the-way-of-water-box-office-1235200714/

"Disney/20th Century Studios Avatar: The Way of Water is heading to a $55M Friday at 4,202 theaters, which is inclusive of its $17M Thursday previews, and the 6th best Friday ever in December, ahead of The Hobbit‘s $37.1M back in Dec 14, 2012. I’m told at this point in time this could still get the movie to over $150M for the weekend. Some sources are seeing $120M for the weekend, but I’m told that they don’t have access to the presales and play pattern of those advance ticket sales."

Other movies...

"As far as the rest of the box office: Disney/Marvel Studio’s Black Panther: Wakanda Forever at 3,380 theaters is seeing a Friday of $1.7M and sixth weekend of $6M, -47% for a running total of $419.5M by Sunday. The sequel beat the domestic total of Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness ($411.3M) on Tuesday.

Universal’s Violent Night booked at 3,525 theaters is eyeing a $1.5M Friday, -38%, for a third weekend of $5.3M, -39%, and a total by Sunday of $35.2M.

Fourth belongs to Disney’s Strange World on 2,870 with a fourth Friday of $600K, weekend of $2.7M, -29% and running total of $34.2M.

And Searchlight’s The Menu 1,875 theaters is seeing a $530K Friday, -36%, fifth weekend of $1.7M, -39% for a running total $32.1M. "

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Mulder said:

I also feel like overhype is definitely responsible for the 'disappointment' that this is 'only' (Potentially) going to do 100+ OW and 500 dom and 1-1.5 billion worldwide lol. Many franchises WISH they were making those numbers but this is the issue with overhype.

I'm probably wrong, but didn't Cameron say this had to do like 2bil? If not I feel like someone said it. If this somehow lost to Maverick, considering it's price tag, it has to be considered a major disappointment. More importantly, it's not great for the prospects of a sequel in two years, which will most likely be delayed to give it room to breathe.

1 minute ago, BluKyberCrystal said:

I'm probably wrong, but didn't Cameron say this had to do like 2bil? If not I feel like someone said it. If this somehow lost to Maverick, considering it's price tag, it has to be considered a major disappointment. More importantly, it's not great for the prospects of a sequel in two years, which will most likely be delayed to give it room to breathe.

Highly misleading and already corrected. 

2 minutes ago, BluKyberCrystal said:

Apparently that's been taken out of context/misreported.

Yeah i can see 150M coming from 38M true FRI, it will need a very good SAT jump tho. 

And while i wouldn't bet in it, it's early deadline numbers so there's always a chance it ended up being 57 instead of 55

But 140s seems more like it, it's fine, not the high end i hope but not the crumbling some was starting to act like it is.

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Deadline - it's $55M Friday, unless it's not.  It's $150M weekend, unless it's $120M, but those $120M people don't have access to presales.  I kid, but I don't...

https://deadline.com/2022/12/avatar-the-way-of-water-box-office-1235200714/

"Disney/20th Century Studios Avatar: The Way of Water is heading to a $55M Friday at 4,202 theaters, which is inclusive of its $17M Thursday previews, and the 6th best Friday ever in December, ahead of The Hobbit‘s $37.1M back in Dec 14, 2012. I’m told at this point in time this could still get the movie to over $150M for the weekend. Some sources are seeing $120M for the weekend, but I’m told that they don’t have access to the presales and play pattern of those advance ticket sales."

That is certainly a deadline moment

True fri at 38 would be decent if it's actually 38, but the article feels so unsure of its own report over there lmao

Seems like Deadline (and their "sources") are also on the team "people is just waiting to PFL screens and they don't care in waiting for it" 

That said, if Avatar 2 comes in under its $150M expectations, it’s because audiences are waiting to secure ideal seats in a premium format — and the best time might be after this weekend. I’m hearing in markets like NYC and LA, it’s difficult to get an Imax, Dolby or PLF ticket for this weekend. While there’s plenty of 3D showtimes for Avatar 2, the U.S. marketplace is underscreened when it comes to Imax, Dolby and key PLFs, particularly in regards to the demand here. Per recent MPAA stats, only 35% of the 43,6K screens stateside are digital 3D.