The Wild Eric

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

3 minutes ago, Eric The Last Airbender said:

TGM has that Best Picture win. It was basically bio-engineered in a lab to appeal to Academy boomer voters, it has huge industry support already, no real backlash has been brewing for it, the typical awards contenders have whiffed it at the box office (probably gonna whiff it forever tbh), even a "OMG this saved theaters forever" hook. Only other contender left is Everything Everywhere, which also has strong hooks behind it, but I think Top Gun's got just the ever-so-slightly stronger edge.

The only thing baffling to me is how they'll be able to simply ignore Joseph Kosinski as director while giving so much love for the movie he made. 

Same goes for Dune last year.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

The only thing baffling to me is how they'll be able to simply ignore Joseph Kosinski as director while giving so much love for the movie he made. 

Yeah. People hardly talk about him. It's mostly cruise 😅

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

As of the Oscars, I LOVE TGM, but Everything Everywhere All At Once is hands down the film of the year.

FTFY

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

Cause he was the glorified AD and Tom Cruise directed the movie. Ob-vah-less-leeeeee

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Nero said:

For minions it wasn't marketing as such but due to that particular meme everyone was going dressed up in suits

I’d have to go dig for it, but I know I read an article last summer describing how the TikTok gentleminions trend was essentially orchestrated and setup by Illumination, and it made perfect sense honestly. They are marketing geniuses over there, always have been. If anyone could manipulate a viral TikTok trend for their film, it would be them. 

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

The Banshees is the best movie of the year imo. And Colin Farell the best performance. These two must win. Just a spectacular movie and all four performances will get nominated. EEOAO was annoying and non sense. Banshees will be loved by all Academy. I'm just in awe of this spectacular movie

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Again, it's really a big mistake on Disney's part. I mean, families would rather spend on animated movies that they won't be able to see in streaming anytime soon. Disney cannot deny this anymore because even their own productions like ENCANTO and STRANGE WORLD were victims. One can argue that it's because of this or that reason, but Disney and Pixar movies just don't make this kind of numbers. There is an effect.

Eh, I think the performances of Elemental and Wish next year will be more telling, since they fit within both Disney and Pixar's bread and butter more than something like Strange World (animated sci-fi movies have never had much luck at the box office) ever did.

• Like 1