The Wild Eric

Weekdays Thread (12/19-22) | Avatar: The Way of 14.5 | Mon 16.2, Tue 18.3, Wed 14.3, Thu 14.5| Puss 3.2 OD | Check In For Your Hourly Weather Update

2 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Twitter isn’t reality, far from it, but I do think that the kind of reception of it on there with younger people doesn’t bode great for its legs in regards to that demo.

Honestly, agreed. 

(TikTok is going crazy about the movie because the Na'Vi are hot or something tho) 

Weird times

5 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Not related to weekday numbers but "blue white man" is sending me 

I need to share... 

Lmao I said this is the type of movie that isn't gonna speak to Black audiences. We always talk about the demo in the opening weekend but what about the next? There's no other explanation for this movie to open under 150. Nobody is obligated to make a movie for every race but you'd think the studios would have slid a Angela Basset or someone in the movie. Still sticking to 1.6 billion but most of it is coming from outside America. 

2 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Twitter isn’t reality, far from it, but I do think that the kind of reception of it on there with younger people doesn’t bode great for its legs in regards to that demo.

Speaking entirely anecdotally here, Gen Z is either entirely disinterested or outright dislikes Avatar, that's one of the reasons I've been more cautious in my predictions leading up to its release. I feel like its reputation has been tied to 3D, and not in a good way, like 3D its seen by Zoomers as a tired fad that's had its time in the sun. Without a compelling story, the visuals haven't been enough to make Gen Z care about it in the long run, especially with meme culture being a thing and Avatar being played so straight as to make itself a prime target for mockery.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, M37 said:

Except for the 17 endings of ROTK. My bladder definitely felt the running time towards the end

4 hours ago, Menor Reborn said:

ROTK had only one ending. I never understood the idea that it takes too long to end. 

I think a lot of people(or at least normies who haven't read any of the books) forget that Sauron is defeated only halfway through book 3. 

Wounded Eowyn and Faramir have one of the best chapters in all the books while they're waiting for their doom together in Minas Tirith after everyone marched off on their suicide mission to the Black Gate which I wish was included in the movie.

• Like 2

Just now, Vector Sigma said:

Lmao I said this is the type of movie that isn't gonna speak to Black audiences. We always talk about the demo in the opening weekend but what about the next? There's no other explanation for this movie to open under 150. Nobody is obligated to make a movie for every race but you'd think the studios would have slid a Angela Basset or someone in the movie. Still sticking to 1.6 billion but most of it is coming from outside America. 

The breakdown demo are very good between caucasian, black, asian and latinos iirc

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

The breakdown demo are very good between caucasian, black, asian and latinos iirc

The opening week was fine but like I mentioned what about next week? I think that fans that really wanted to see this movie rushed out opening weekend. There isn't much of a reason for this thing to be headed towards a 40 percent drop unless a demo is lagging. Sometimes numbers can be deceiving. 

3 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

It's not that deep... 

For you, maybe. And funny that you mentioned TikTok:

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMFnNq6JL/

Culturally, this film and the whole idea behind Avatar does indeed has a lot of issues. And I say that not as a hater, I’m just looking at this the way a lot of people are rightfully pointing out: gorgeous technically, but with a lot of problematic shit interwoven into its mythology.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

8 minutes ago, Cheddar Please said:

Speaking entirely anecdotally here, Gen Z is either entirely disinterested or outright dislikes Avatar, that's one of the reasons I've been more cautious in my predictions leading up to its release. I feel like its reputation has been tied to 3D, and not in a good way, like 3D its seen by Zoomers as a tired fad that's had its time in the sun. Without a compelling story, the visuals haven't been enough to make Gen Z care about it in the long run, especially with meme culture being a thing and Avatar being played so straight as to make itself a prime target for mockery.

A lot of the things that is bothering ‘Gen Z’ now already bothered people back then. The difference is that culturally, we are in a very different landscape than 2009. People are way more outspoken about this and it’s not like it’s a new issue with Avatar, it’s more like the same issue and more the points you’ve made above about the 3D fad ad etc.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ZattMurdock said:

A lot of the things that is bothering ‘Gen Z’ now already bothered people back then. The difference is that culturally, we are in a very different landscape than 2009. People are way more outspoken about this and it’s not like it’s a new issue with Avatar, it’s more like the same issue and more the points you’ve made above about the 3D fad ad etc.

I would agree, it's more like I'd rather not speak on behalf of people not within my purview lol

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Not related to weekday numbers but "blue white man" is sending me 

I need to share... 

They gave this man (and Spider) the dreads from Disney's Tarzan and it makes me laugh every time. Daddy Cameron, you've done it again.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Question how does somebody quote from another thread?

Do you see the Plus symbol next to "Quote"? You click on that, then venture to another thread, and then hit "Quote 1 Post". And from there, you're as gold as Rapunzel's hair.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Cheddar Please said:

dont think its that complicated, think the just listened to random youtubers and never actually saw the movie