The Wild Eric

Weekdays Thread (12/19-22) | Avatar: The Way of 14.5 | Mon 16.2, Tue 18.3, Wed 14.3, Thu 14.5| Puss 3.2 OD | Check In For Your Hourly Weather Update

Just now, Brainbug said:

My 3 Favourites:

01. Dune Part Two - first Dune soundtrack was awesome, Hans Zimmer i trust

02. Indiana Jones 5 - the last ever John Williams soundtrack and i think he will deliver

03. Guardians 3 - ofc, will be a mix of original soundtrack and pop songs, but the first 2 mixes were great and i think this one will follow suit

I believe Indy 5 will clear them all, the king is gonna go out on top. 

2 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

TLJ had good opening but divisive wom, more fun options like Jumanji 2

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I just remember with TLJ, everyone hoped the later Holiday calendar would help. But it really didn’t matter. The WOM wasn’t strong enough to take full advantage. Still very early with Avatar 2, but I don’t think the Monday number was that great of a sign. 

I refuse to believe that Last Jedi came out 5 (five!) years ago, my god

7 minutes ago, Dragoncaine said:

One of the *unexpectedly* worst times lol. Massive national blizzard followed by Christmas Eve and Day eating into weekend grosses, in tandem with arguably the largest COVID panic in China yet, is unexpectedly brutal. Obviously 2020 is on a whole other level.

I mean, not really?  The possibility of large winter storms were one of the reasons why Hollywood historically shied away from plopping blockbusters in the Xmas time period until TFA changed the ballgame.  Okay, I'll grant you China, but just speaking domestically it isn't that unexpected.

Either way, a film like A2 should be able to make it up in the Dec 26 - Jan 2 window, or beyond even, if WOM/legs are actually there.  Case in point, A1 and its famous snow storm.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

If people can't see A2 this week, they'll see it next week. Lower numbers the next few days doesn't mean it is doomed.

5 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Exactly. If people want to see it, they will check it out. Weather is going to be warmer next week and many people will be on vacation from their job or school. 

I guess I'm of the thinking that yes, they can go see it later, but what if a few days pass and they don't really want to anymore?

I know it might just be my lazy ass, but if I don't see something right away and the urge I had to see it is no longer there, I'm not going to see it at theaters.

• Like 1

Just now, Porthos said:

I mean, not really?  The possibility of large winter storms were one of the reasons why Hollywood historically shied away from plopping blockbusters in the Xmas time period until TFA changed the ballgame.  Okay, I'll grant you China, but just speaking domestically it isn't that unexpected.

Either way, a film like A2 should be able to make it up in the Dec 26 - Jan 2 window, or beyond even, if WOM/legs are actually there.  Case in point, A1 and its famous snow storm.

Plenty of folks are on vacation next week. If they stay home to avoid weather the next few days, they have plenty of time and warmer weather next week to go see the movie.

There’s also very weak competition for this movie for many weeks. That was a massive advantage for Titanic & the first Avatar. It’s an advantage for this movie too compared to a summer release. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

I guess I'm of the thinking that yes, they can go see it later, but what if a few days pass and they don't really want to anymore?

I know it might just be my lazy ass, but if I don't see something right away and the urge I had to see it is no longer there, I'm not going to see it at theaters.

So youre saying you are the real reason why the box office is declining and why theaters are in danger?

Spoiler

:qotd:

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

A2;'s Sunday hold was the best in the top 10, and it was a new release. Surely thats a sign of potential legs.

And if so, surely this 14.5 number (if truie) is simply a sign of the bad weather?.

Yeah it being a new movie would make it the most likely to have a best hold.

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Plenty of folks are on vacation next week. If they stay home to avoid weather the next few days, they have plenty of time and warmer weather next week to go see the movie.

There’s also very weak competition for this movie for many weeks. That was a massive advantage for Titanic & the first Avatar. It’s an advantage for this movie too compared to a summer release. 

Dont be deceived by

puppy-dog-eyes-sad.gif

In reality its

Spoiler

puss-in-boots-shrek.gif

10 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I just remember with TLJ, everyone hoped the later Holiday calendar would help. But it really didn’t matter. The WOM wasn’t strong enough to take full advantage. Still very early with Avatar 2, but I don’t think the Monday number was that great of a sign. 

I don't understand how a later holiday calendar would help legs. Seems pretty clear to me that the closer the holiday period is to the OW, the more spread out business will be, which will help a multi that is calculated over just the weekend. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

I don't understand how a later holiday calendar would help legs. Seems pretty clear to me that the closer the holiday period is to the OW, the more spread out business will be, which will help a multi that is calculated over just the weekend. 

I meant relatively speaking. TLJ got off to a slower start than Force Awakens. Bunch of people were hoping the later holiday calendar would help TLJ make up ground on TFA later in the run, but WOM killed it. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I meant relatively speaking. TLJ got off to a slower start than Force Awakens. Bunch of people were hoping the later holiday calendar would help TLJ make up ground on TFA later in the run, but WOM killed it. 

I don't understand how anyone could have expected TLJ to gain on TFA, the middle installments have always traditionally done the worst

39 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

You are right. I don’t know about the TLJ comparison, but I do agree that in theory, it’s a perfect release date for a major blockbuster. In fact, it should be a more coveted date for other blockbuster films. What No Way Home did last year was absolutely insane. The particular circumstances of Avatar 2 being a sequel of a film released 13 years ago and the bad weather doesn’t change the fact that in theory, the thinking behind the release date was sound. 

The best release date for a December movie would be December 19. But that happened during the pandemic so....

TROS would have been SO much better if they had made the movie that I wrote between TLJ and TROS. Following TFA and R1 and TLJ's critic score helped boost its OW. WOM from audiences shot it dead. But another topic for another day.

Christmas Eves on weekends are NEVER good!!! That and the fact that people have low attention spans and when they say "oh I will catch it next week" that week never comes because they forget about it. TGM is an enigma. The only thing I can gather is that it appealed to older folks who don't stream. Only thing I can gather ( and I was a teen when TG came out, but about 50% of the audience were older than me!). Theoretically. Memorial Day weekend is truly the best release date for movies. 

As for Av2, next week will be quite a bit bigger than this week for sure. Same was true for TFA, TLJ, TROS, NWH, Av1, etc. After January 1...hmmmm....

Edited by jedijake
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cheddar Please said:

I don't understand how anyone could have expected TLJ to gain on TFA, the middle installments have always traditionally done the worst

I mean I didn’t expect it, neither for TROS. Neither This happened with literally every Star Wars trilogy iirc.

27 minutes ago, Porthos said:

TFA was the first blockbuster released in December?