The Wild Eric

Weekdays Thread (12/19-22) | Avatar: The Way of 14.5 | Mon 16.2, Tue 18.3, Wed 14.3, Thu 14.5| Puss 3.2 OD | Check In For Your Hourly Weather Update

8 minutes ago, Dale Cooper said:

And even more importantly, Jurassic Park is far more beloved film than Avatar. That's a really important aspect of it.

Jurassic Park is basically a collection of iconic scenes at this point. Moments like "Welcome to Jurassic Park", "Life finds a way", "Hold on to your butts" or the entire dinner scene with Malcolm and Hammond arguing are so memorable that even people who never watched JP know them.

I dont think the same can be said about Avatar. Are there iconic lines or scenes that everyone remembers instantly when they think about Avatar? Are there iconic characters, where you just see the picture of them and you instantly remember their lines and moments? Hardcore Avatar fans will disagree with me here, but i dont think any of this applys to the GA when it comes to Avatar. What does everyone remember about that movie instead?

The 3D effects and the visually amazing experience. Which might be not enough to carry the sequels forever.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Jurassic Park is basically a collection of iconic scenes at this point. Moments like "Welcome to Jurassic Park", "Life finds a way", "Hold on to your butts" or the entire dinner scene with Malcolm and Hammond arguing are so memorable that even people who never watched JP know them.

I dont think the same can be said about Avatar. Are there iconic lines or scenes that everyone remembers instantly when they think about Avatar? Are there iconic characters, where you just see the picture of them and you instantly remember their lines and moments? Hardcore Avatar fans will disagree with me here, but i dont think any of this applys to the GA when it comes to Avatar. What does everyone remember about that movie instead?

The 3D effects and the visually amazing experience. Which might be not enough to carry the sequels forever.

The music. Williams. His power.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

And don’t forget the memes with Goldblum. “There it is” and “That’s one big pile of shit.” Memorable as hell, even in modern culture. 

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Dale Cooper said:

And even more importantly, Jurassic Park is far more beloved film than Avatar. That's a really important aspect of it.

I really do love that people on this board twist facts and figures whichever way they see fit. JP3 Did exist. And JW had none of the lead actors and characters. 

13 minutes ago, Dale Cooper said:

I mean, yes, clearly it's a big drop. But context is important here. It's doing really, really bad in a couple of markets (China and Japan) and it's underperforming in US as of yet. UK started badly, but it actually seems to pick up and will probably do pretty well in the end. In just about every other market it's either doing good or great. So the movie is clearly connecting with audiences around the globe, that much is clear.

Given the exchange rate situation, it was always gonna drop big if China couldn't cover the loss from other markets. It's clearly not gonna finish at 1.5b though, but it's quite feasable it will loose about a billion from the original. It's not great, true, but it's clearly not terrible either.

Cool, exchange rate. But the average ticket prices for PLFs and its big reliance on those formats mitigates that. 

The point is that the numbers in a vacuum are huge, but this is one of those movies that can't be judged in a vacuum. 

1 hour ago, redfirebird2008 said:

From Saturday to Wednesday, Avatar 2 has grossed about 97% of Rogue One’s domestic total for the same days. If this continues, Avatar 2 will finish right at $500M total domestic. 

I think will have way better post holiday legs then Rogue One

• Like 3

Just now, reddevil19 said:

I really do love that people on this board twist facts and figures whichever way they see fit. JP3 Did exist. And JW had none of the lead actors and characters.

Thing is, the people came to Jurassic World not only because of nostalgia for Jurassic Park, but mainly because that movie has one of the best blockbuster selling points of all time.

Im serious here and i know i have done a lot that people dont think that of me when it comes to this particular series, but "The Park is Open" was a PERFECT selling line for Jurassic World. The sequel that we all wanted but never got: The Jurassic Park finally in operation.

It helped that the movie itself was a 10/10 out-of-body experience as well.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, reddevil19 said:

And your premise assumes that so much of TGM's success is nostalgia,

Look at the age demos: It’s about 15 years older than most blockbusters … and came out 36 years after original 🤔

The reason the nostalgia gap is consistent is because you get BOTH the old fans returning and a new generation getting fresh content 

4 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

If that were true, the likes of any of the recent Terminator movies - especially with Arnold in a prominent role (I.e. post-Salvation), would have done gangbusters.

Just because you’re in the prime period doesn’t guarantee success (see also ID Resurgence). It’s more about potential, the ceiling, bridging the gap between old and new 

And as much I can give countless examples, this isn’t just a movie thing, it’s across pop culture, fashion, etc

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

And don’t forget the memes with Goldblum. “There it is” and “That’s one big pile of shit.” Memorable as hell, even in modern culture. 

Here is what makes sequels blockbusters: being memorable. If you aren’t rebooting, you better have a memorable world and likable characters. Jurassic World is even more impressive when I stop to think about it because it did what it did with the dinos and the score alone, the cast was all new. I do think that eventually, Jurassic Park will be back. Either as a sequel or a reboot, it’s bound to comeback.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, XXR Also in Boots said:

All depends on exchange rates and China. Even if ticket sales drop 10% from A2 to A3 in all markets (minus China for obvious reasons), a flip in the ER can still turn that into a 10-20% gain.

If Jim can tighten A3 up into the 160-170 minute range that would be a plus. 

Oh yeah if the next movie expands on this one and is even better with better exchange rates and china even lives up to 80% it could easily do more. I want 3 to do 2.5B make it impossible not to do #4 and #5

4 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

I think will have way better post holiday legs then Rogue One

I agree, people forget just how atrocious ROs post holiday legs were. This film couldn't even manage 5 full weeks above $1m, not to mention falling $11m behind TLK despite being ahead coming out of the holidays 

Edited by Cheddar Please

1 minute ago, ZattMurdock said:

Here is what makes sequels blockbusters: being memorable. If you aren’t rebooting, you better have a memorable world and likable characters. Jurassic World is even more impressive when I stop to think about it because it did what it did with the dinos and the score alone, the cast was all new. I do think that eventually, Jurassic Park will be back. Either as a sequel or a reboot, it’s bound to comeback.

I want to them to take a good 5-7 year hiatuts and think about what they can do with the movies after Dominion. I may simp for that movie but i see all its flaws and wasted potential and "Dinos in our world" is a potential goldmine for Universal that they just need to exploit with a proper plan how to make the next movies really great.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Cheddar Please said:

I agree, people forget just how atrocious ROs post holiday legs were. This film couldn't even manage 5 full weeks above $1m, not to mention falling $11m behind TLK despite being ahead coming out of the holidays 

All the star films apart from TFA had bad post holiday legs

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

So far the Northeast is doing fine. Boston, New York, and Philly are all above 40 degrees Fahrenheit at the moment and the wind isn’t too crazy for them, at least not yet. Right now it’s the north-central part of the country getting nailed. Chicago feels like -12 degrees and Kansas City feels like -28 degrees Fahrenheit. 

Here in the northeast the coldest it’s gonna get is like 10 degrees on Saturday which is nothing unmanageable but might dissuade some from traveling to the theater

I think if the orig AVATAR had launched today, instead of 2009, it wouldnt be making 2.7bil.

The market HAS changed, whether we accept that or not. Now throw in the shitty exchange rate comp[ard to the first film ,and the China situation where its going to lose 400-600mil off A2's final total, and yeah i think some of you are being quite harsh when talking about how its going to come under the first film.

I expect nothing less from some of you of course, but its still harsh.

Edited by stuart360

4 minutes ago, Cheddar Please said:

what make you think that? they both have the exact same CINEMASCORE so i don't see how avatar will have better post holiday legs DOM

3 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

I disagree. If that were true, the likes of any of the recent Terminator movies - especially with Arnold in a prominent role (I.e. post-Salvation), would have done gangbusters. Or Indy 4 should have done MUCH better than it did (by contrast, the fifth one will probably end up doing better, despite being at that 15—ish year mark from Crystal Skull, which you seem to think isn't good to ride on nostalgia and 40+ from the original, which might be too long - I.e. Ghostbusters). 

There was only 12 years between T2>T3 and then 12 years between T3>Gynysys.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, XXR Also in Boots said:

All depends on exchange rates and China. Even if ticket sales drop 10% from A2 to A3 in all markets (minus China for obvious reasons), a flip in the ER can still turn that into a 10-20% gain.

If Jim can tighten A3 up into the 160-170 minute range that would be a plus. 

I liked Avatar 2 but this critic can be the feeling of more people than we want to admit

https://twitter.com/ErickWeber/status/1602709979395416078?s=20&t=ItB54J-nvIaLZMRDkqWLpA