The Wild Eric

Weekdays Thread (12/19-22) | Avatar: The Way of 14.5 | Mon 16.2, Tue 18.3, Wed 14.3, Thu 14.5| Puss 3.2 OD | Check In For Your Hourly Weather Update

1 minute ago, Menor Reborn said:

It was a big deal exactly because he had been teased so many times. Most of my circles weren't into comics, we were still incredibly hyped for IW because Thanos was built up for so long as this looming ultimate threat. 

Right. I guess what I was trying to say - and I didn't say it very well - is we're looking at the status of Thanos now with the benefit of hindsight. There isn't much difference at this point in the saga between Kang and Thanos roughly at the same point in the Infinity Saga. If people don't care about Kang in Quantumania it won't be because he's not a Thanos. Thanos wasn't a Thanos in Guardians of the Galaxy, for instance, though we knew he was important after being teased in the Avengers post credits. Kang got the benefit of an even bigger tease in Loki.

3 hours ago, Menor Reborn said:

The hook will be when they meet the air tribe, but the air tribe has been wiped out by the humans, leaving only one member left alive. One might even say they were the last one. 

Me catching up on the thread, having not seen the film yet: WAIT is he openly posting spoillll —

image.gif

:hahaha:

3 hours ago, shruth said:

people have horrible attention spans nowadays and expect songs to be 2 and a half minutes long and movies to be under 2 hours. It's ridiculous

There is a long history of movies being like 1hr 40 to 2hrs. 

Singin in The Rain is absolute perfection. It clocks in at 1hr42mins. 

1 hour ago, ZattMurdock said:

billy zane GIF

Greatest line reading in CINEMA. 

1 hour ago, cooldude97 said:

Man if this is how people react to a mediocre Monday I wonder how this place will react when secret wars opens lower than endgame

THANKFULLY!!!! We have like two years to worry about that, so there is ZERO reason to discuss it now. This might sound like sacrilege coming from me, but we don’t need to talk about Marvel movies on every page of every thread. Just like King Kevin, we all need a vacation.

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Honestly, I've always felt that the "well people binge, so what's the big deal" comments were... Well lots of words/phrases could be used but I'll settle on "not really applicable".

I love television. When I was in film school, I was specializing in writing for television. It’s a completely different format and experience from a movie. Because technically, you’re not watching 24 hours of something. You’re watching 42 minutes of something that equals 24 hours. So as you noted, I can pause, I can keep going. Or worse, I can get stuck with a cliffhanger that’s not gonna be resolved for another year… or worse never. I can choose to watch an hour a day, or I can choose to watch 20 hours in 24 hours. 

I would also note, this is slightly off-topic, but will roll with it, is that I actually miss weekly episodes. I felt like you had more time to sit with the characters/the story. Is the fun speculation of like what’s gonna happen next. Binging something is fun, but it can get exhausting. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Reassessment of numbers:

Mon - 16.2M

Tue - 15.5M

Wed - 12.8M

Thu - 14.2M

Fri - 18.6M (Adjusted for snowstorm)

Sat - 12.2M

Sun - 23.2M // 2nd WE - 54M (-60%)

Mon - 26.6M

Tue - 19.8M

Wed - 16.4M

Thu - 16.0M

Fri - 17.6M

Sat - 13.2M

Sun - 16.8M // 3rd WE - 47.6M (-12%)

Mon - 16.5M

18 day total - 389.7M. Final total - 506M (3.77x)

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Cap said:

Me catching up on the thread, having not seen the film yet: WAIT is he openly posting spoillll —

image.gif

:hahaha:

There is a long history of movies being like 1hr 40 to 2hrs. 

Singin in The Rain is absolute perfection. It clocks in at 1hr42mins. 

Greatest line reading in CINEMA. 

THANKFULLY!!!! We have like two years to worry about that, so there is ZERO reason to discuss it now. This might sound like sacrilege coming from me, but we don’t need to talk about Marvel movies on every page of every thread. Just like King Kevin, we all need a vacation.

I love television. When I was in film school, I was specializing in writing for television. It’s a completely different format and experience from a movie. Because technically, you’re not watching 24 hours of something. You’re watching 42 minutes of something that equals 24 hours. So as you noted, I can pause, I can keep going. Or worse, I can get stuck with a cliffhanger that’s not gonna be resolved for another year… or worse never. I can choose to watch an hour a day, or I can choose to watch 20 hours in 24 hours. 

I would also note, this is slightly off-topic, but will roll with it, is that I actually miss weekly episodes. I felt like you had more time to sit with the characters/the story. Is the fun speculation of like what’s gonna happen next. Binging something is fun, but it can get exhausting. 

Luckily it feels like streaming services are catching on to that and going back to that weekly episode drop format. It started with Disney+ going that route right off the bat with their service and then other services like Prime noticed that it was effective in keeping programming in the public consciousness longer.

I also like that Netflix is sticking with their binge model because it gives them their flavour.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

As my optimistic scenario when everything for the film would have went right 😄 but yes, i totally admit, i gave in on the hype, even though all the years prior to this last month before release, i was one of the doubters lol

Lesson here is probably to just trust your gut feelings.

Someone finally adopting my strategy...

Okay, I'm not all gut, but sometimes you just look at a movie and think "who's the audience and will they pay to see this?" and then your gut knows:)...

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, shachi86 said:

Compare that to 2019 when they did $11 billion! We are indeed still 2-3 years away from the global box office recovering back pre-pandemic levels!

I don’t see how it will recover to that when audiences have made it clear post covid they’ve abandon small to mid size hits at the theater. It’s all feast or famine now, which won’t get it back to a pre covid state.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Nikostar said:

What is the goal for today and is an understanding 50%second weekend drop out the door.

For me the goal is a healthy Tuesday bump. Nothing crazy but hopefully 10% or something like that. If not, we look to the Wednesday number. If the hold isn't exceptional then it's pretty much trending to finish under Rogue One.

But one thing at a time I guess. Hoping for between $17.5M and $18M but likely it'll be flat, which is what Rogue One did on first Tuesday.

5 minutes ago, Verrows said:

For me the goal is a healthy Tuesday bump. Nothing crazy but hopefully 10% or something like that. If not, we look to the Wednesday number. If the hold isn't exceptional then it's pretty much trending to finish under Rogue One.

But one thing at a time I guess. Hoping for between $17.5M and $18M but likely it'll be flat, which is what Rogue One did on first Tuesday.

If it increases at all it's a win. 

• Like 1