Issac Newton

Christmas Weekend Thread | Avatar 95.6m, PiB 20.05m, Babylon 4.85m 4 days

53 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Oh I would hate that lol, but I see your point they could’ve gone that route, but it sounds cheesy. 

It bombed because of Cruise, and the way he was acting in public at that time. 

But The Othet Woman and Bad Teacher were bigger financial hits than The Holiday… 

The Mask was her debut, she wasn’t drawing because no one knew her. Shriek is animated. I think the comparisons here have gone wonky. 

KNIGHT AND DAY was 5 years after Cruise's couch jumping incident (which all seems rather quaint considering how nuts celebrities are nowadays) and 2 years after his triumphant comeback in TROPIC THUNDER. KNIGHT AND DAY underperformed because, aside from Cruise's charismatic send up of his M:I persona, it was a generic spy movie with no stand out set-pieces.

Anyway, to get things back on track a little while we wait for a Deadline Update or Evening Numbers:

Best Whitney Houston Songs

1. I Wanna Dance With Somebody
  2. It's Not Right, But It's Okay (Thunderpuss Remix)
  3. I Will Always Love You
  4. How Will I Know
  5. So Emotional
  6. When You Believe
  7. I Have Nothing
  8. My Love Is Your Love
  9. I'm Your Baby Tonight
  10. Exhale (Shoop Shoop)
  11. Saving All My Love For You
  12. Love Will Save The Day
  13. Run To You
  14. I'm Every Woman
  15. Higher Love

14 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Whitney was also a black woman. I don't know about her trials and tribulations, didn't enter mainstream media like say Britney Spears. Was Whitney's life front page news? I don't remember it that way

The media has no problem obsessing over black celebrities.

Especially when they're a trainwreck like Kanye.

• Like 2

Boxofficemojo lists the Whitney movie at 2,730,000 for the Friday gross… did they make a mistake and add the previews separately when they should have been included in the 2,000,000 tally? Or is it true that it did 730k preview and an additional 2 million on Friday?

Edited by wboxoffice

On 12/23/2022 at 1:18 PM, AJG said:

LOOOOOL NepoBaby Prime has spoken

Edit: whilst I’m still on this - we need to be honest with Denzel Washington about his son. He ain’t got it.

She even said back in 2019 that she got the role in "Halloween," probably because of her parents' fame... 

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/the-new-yorker-interview/jamie-lee-curtis-has-never-worked-hard-a-day-in-her-life

Did you have a feeling when making “Halloween” that it was the thing it would become?

Nothing. All I can tell you is that my [character’s] name was on every page of the script, and that it was thrilling to actually create something as a character.

Do you know why you got the job?

I auditioned many, many, many times. And then it was between me and one other woman, whose name I know but I will never say publicly. I’m sure the fact that I was Janet Leigh and Tony Curtis’s daughter, and that my mother had been in “Psycho”—if you’re going to choose between this one and this one, choose the one whose mother was in “Psycho,” because it will get some press for you. I’m never going to pretend that I just got that on my own, like I’m just a little girl from nowhere getting it. Clearly, I had a leg up.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

You don't lack for confidence I'll say that

I agree with jimbo on 130 range if not.for the blizzards and.power.outtages.

Hopefully all who.didnt show come after the storms and once more.important situations are rectified.

I'm praying for all who really.got hit hard. 

Blessings and gd morning everyone

Edited by Sheldon Cr
Editing post
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Cap said:

I think it’s pretty different. Freddy had a more active role in his own fate than Houston, I would argue. He has more of a traditional rockstar, rise and fall compared to Houston, who is a textbook example of a woman being exploited by the business. She is more Judy, Britney, Diana. 

I was speaking more broadly about the rise and fall of a star, but that’s a fair distinction. And might also be why it’s too soon: it’s not just loss, but a lot of anger at what transpired that people haven’t let go and/or aren’t willing to revisit 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Reading through weather forecast most seem to agree the worst blizzard was on Friday and things start stabilize through Saturday.

Is that true what I am reading? 

Still freaking cold and.full of.ice in northeast overhere. Hopefully everything is slowly stabilizing. Canada looks ruff in some areas.

17 minutes ago, PenguinHyphy said:

Cameron Diaz is top billed for There Is Something about Mary, Charlie's Angels, the sequel, What Happens in Vegas, Bad Teacher and The Other Woman. Name just one hit that Margot Robbie has as the top billing or even as a co-lead? 

Barbie...

18 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Babylon is estimated for 3,3M for the weekend.

Yep, 3,3M OW Fri-Sun.

It looks like a movie I would’ve gone to see pre-pandemic regardless of reception but given the RT and Cinemascore I’ll just wait 3 weeks for the VOD.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Cap said:

There have been several musical biopics of Black female artists over the years that have done well (Lady In Blues, What's Love Got To Do With It).  Aretha probably would've been MUCH bigger if it wasn't released in COVID hell when the Old People weren't going out.  The Woman King made 94M at the box office this year, and Black Panther made 423M.  We're not doing the whole It's Cause She's Black and An Unknown Actress Is Playing Here Thing.  At all.  Find another way to concern troll.

Thank. You!! The concern trolling about skin colour in general these days is so annoying. There are some contexts where it's relevant but otherwise...yeah, it's just an irrelevant and tiresome discussion.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Cap said:

There have been several musical biopics of Black female artists over the years that have done well (Lady In Blues, What's Love Got To Do With It).  Aretha probably would've been MUCH bigger if it wasn't released in COVID hell when the Old People weren't going out.  The Woman King made 94M at the box office this year, and Black Panther made 423M.  We're not doing the whole It's Cause She's Black and An Unknown Actress Is Playing Here Thing.  At all.  Find another way to concern troll.

And you think this is a normal weekend?  Lol  Everything under performed by at least half, including Puss in boots 2.  The bad weather, as well as avatar 2 still being the main event, didn’t help the new entries.  We will see how the movie will do next weekend…

Also, I have to say when it comes to the Whitney movie that at least half of the comments from fans were upset about the casting (The actress not being beautiful enough) and also always boycott the projects because the family is still making money off Whitney and they don’t want to support that.  

Edited by wboxoffice