XXRDJisDoctorDoom

New Years Weekend Thread || Dec. 30-Jan. 1 || ATWOW $67.4M 3rd WE - $88.8M 4-Day WE — Orange Panther $22.6M 4-Day!

Remarkably consistent drops across the board for Sat: mostly -22% to -28%, top 3 plus Menu at -26 to -28, VN a bit higher at -31% and Whitney only -15% 

… and then Fablemans at +25%

Just now, kayumanggi said:

absurd about 84% of the gross is from IMAX. That bodes really well for legs as people are still waiting to see it in IMAX since it's been recommended so much that JAN will have great legs. $650m here we gooo

1 minute ago, shruth said:

absurd about 84% of the gross is from IMAX. That bodes really well for legs as people are still waiting to see it in IMAX since it's been recommended so much that JAN will have great legs. $650m here we gooo

I'm not great with Math but isnt it more like around 12%?, lol

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The Fabelmans has maintained consistent grosses over the holidays despite being available on PVOD for nearly three weeks. If they can keep it off Peacock until after the Oscars it March 12 it might have a shot at a $20M+ total.

Hindsight is 20/20, but maybe scheduling the "wide release" around Thanksgiving was a mistake. Universal should've pushed it to later in December and snapped up the 23rd before Babylon or I Wanna Dance With Somebody got there. The Fabelmans' holiday run is a smaller scale version of the boost prestige movies used to get this time of year. Would it have been a bigger boost if it were newer and in more theaters (not 3,000 but maybe 1,800)? Possibly. I think the trailers were misleading, but if you're going to go with the "heartwarming" angle for a movie, mid-to-late December is the season for that... 

The Fabelmans was never going to be a blockbuster but it's certainly less polarizing than Babylon and over a half hour shorter.

• Like 1