charlie Jatinder

Weekdays (03-05 Jan, 2023) Thread. | Talk about the New York Giants in here!

7 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

A2 pocketing 3 daily records is more than I would have expected after OW, so that's good. Yesterday is probably the last one that can be reasonably expected since it'll be up against summer/holiday films for weekdays moving forward and unlikely to match the weekend numbers from the first.

If you don't count that AMERICAN SNIPER nonsense (and you shouldn't) there are plenty of upcoming daily records in A2's sights.

18 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Idk what full article is saying, but it’s not wrong to talk about MCU starting to show concerning signs. NWH can’t be counted bc its success was due to something entirely unrelated to the MCU. Everything else MCU post Endgame has been some level of underwhelming in performance. It’s not a good trajectory for the future at all. 

I respectfully disagree. MoM getting to 940M without China and Russia is not a underperformance. Could it have done more? Yes but sometimes movies  don´t live up to the hype. It´s still made almost 250M more than the first one that had China. Love and Thunder made more than Ragnarok when you factor in no China and Russia. The only movie that had a sizeable drop was Wakanda Forever, which was also expected but granted it was bigger then I thought it would be. The MCU is fine. Ant-Man will do fine, GotG vol 3 will do fine. Same with The Marvels. I feel like there´s an expectation for MCU movies to always overperform like they did in Phase 3.  Thing were always going to go down after Endgame to some degree. What we are seeing now in my opinion is the MCU stabilizing after the infinity saga. Also NWH is a MCU movie. To not give the MCU credit for that when the MCU people was making the decisions with Sony behind the scenes about bringing does characters back is unfair. 

Also about the article there´s no lesson for Hollywood to take here about Avatar´s success. Nobody can even get close to replicate what Cameron does. There is a reason he has 3 2B+ movies. Nobody does it like him. There´s nothing to learn because no one can do blockbuster like Cameron. He knows what gets butts in the seats. Blockbuster king

8 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

A lot of potentially great movies this year already and I don't see any of these putting up particularly impressive numbers

Ferrari (Mann)

Oppenheimer (Nolan)

The Killer (Fincher)

Dune: Part Two (Villeneuve)

Napoleon (Scott)

Killers of the Flower Moon (Scorsese)

Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning

John Wick 4

Evil Dead Rise

83a0496451b23c4935dbca841ede7ca31adf3867

I dont agree with all of these. Oppenheimer rides on Nolans name and Dunkirk showed that this can work very well. Dune 2 has a ton of godwill going for it because of Part 1's reception, John Wick 4 i predict will do 200M+ DOM and Mission Impossible 7 might be the first to knock at the billion door.

Edited by Brainbug

10 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

A lot of potentially great movies this year already and I don't see any of these putting up particularly impressive numbers

Ferrari (Mann)

Oppenheimer (Nolan)

The Killer (Fincher)

Napoleon (Scott)

John Wick 4

Evil Dead Rise

MI7 will. John Wick 4 will.

Ferrari (Mann)

Oppenheimer (Nolan)

The Killer (Fincher)

Napoleon (Scott)

John Wick 4

Evil Dead Rise

dune 2 should go over 500m

john wick 4 should go over 400m

mi7 if it gets a china release probably will beat 800m, maybe even a billy if lots of people who got into the movie during pandemic and cause of tgm go to watch it

the rest i agree, can't see them hitting break even numbers

8 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

Counting the limited release weeks for daily/weekend records.

Ohhhh. Yes I agree completely. These records are based on wide releases and American Sniper was not a wide release until January 16.

I think Wednesday is gonna have a bigger drop than a lot are expecting. I think for the remainder of its run A2 will have more inflated Tuesdays than NWH which typically comes with bigger Wednesday drops. Anything over first Avatar would be great today, but it wouldn’t shock me if it dropped a little below it. Conversely, I think weekend numbers will be very good compared to weekdays. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

M3GAN is getting great reviews. 

Indeed, I'm seeing 26 positive reviews and 1 negative one so far on Rotten Tomatoes. Unfortunately for it, even an overperformance from it and an underperformance from Avatar 2 still won't get it the #1 spot this weekend. Probably going to be a $20M OW from M3GAN (+/- $5M?) and at most a -60% drop for Avatar 2, which is still good for $27M (and it'll probably drop a decent bit less than -60%).

59 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I’m pretty sure it’s more that Avatar is a new franchise as opposed to doing anything different to any other. 

Ridiculous article.

Or because it's James Cameron's franchise and he takes time with it, so every movie feels like event. I think the problem with MCU today is most of their films don't feel like event anymore, but more like another content or glorified commercial of future products. As much as I dislike NWH, it was event and it did like one at box office.

9 minutes ago, shruth said:

im hoping for $8m that would be great 

Yup, $8M would be a great Wednesday figure for A2. RO's equivalent drop was -32% from Tuesday to Wednesday, while $8M for A2 would be about a -23% drop. That would continue the trend of A2 having softer drops than RO and would also continue to bode well for its 4th weekend and legs beyond that.