CJohn

M3GAN W33K3ND THR3AD | ACTUALS - DADDY CAM3RON'S MAGNUM OPUS 45.8M | DOCUM3NTARY ABOUT KILL3R DOLL 30.4M | ORANG3 PANTH3R 13.5M

5 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

The world needs a JC and Cruise team up 

They are essentially diametrically opposed, lol. Cruise is all about doing it for real and practically, and Cameron is all about VFX and CGI

• Founder / Operator
8 hours ago, 3RIC said:

I like it. "11.406" is so extra. We need more extra in our lives.

I don't know if you intended it, but I heard Kate Winslet's voice from The Holiday reading that second sentence and just became overcome with feels.

• Heart 1

There are only a few Films, that had a real "wow, this is new!" impact on my mind since 1976. 

Star Wars, Jurassic Park, Avatar and to a lower degree - Inception, which is the almost perfect synthesis of mind bending story, acting (Leo, Cillian, Watanabe etc.) and music.

TGM was nice, but only the last act. The rest is a very average requel.

My 46 Million prediction will not happen, but everything over 40 would be fine.

56 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

There isn’t one James Cameron film that would get in a top ten of Spielberg. He has never and will never take over him, and JC I think is a genius filmmaker. 

As blockbuster filmmakers, I honestly think they are extremely close and are by far the best of all time. The thing for me is that Spielberg is a much more complete director, the guy has masterpieces in an absurd wide range of genres and can do pretty much any kind of movie, whereas Cameron is much more of a blockbuster-only guy. Love them both, but Spielberg is my favorite because of his range.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Shawn said:

I don't know if you intended it, but I heard Kate Winslet's voice from The Holiday reading that second sentence and just became overcome with feels.

Any early numbers from your sources?

When it comes to pure range, there is no one like Kubrik, but he is not a blockbuster director.  Spielberg and Nolan come next, but regarding  to pure cinematic wow-ness, there is no one like Cameron.

and yes, wow-ness is a very, very subjective term  ;)

I adore all of them

*I forgot directors like Scorsese and so many others, but this 4 come to mind first

Edited by chaos

Quantity has a quality to itself, especially for Spielberg movies, but it should be noted that James Cameron hasnt even directed 10 feature films while Spielberg is at over 30. Anyone can curse the fact that he will end up dedicating 25 years of his life on Avatar productions if they like but he just didnt have and didnt chose to have the opportunities to venture into completely different genres and movies. Maybe to many its a fault that he didnt try but still chosing to stay in that range for one reason or the other is different from not being able to go outside it or make great movies in other genres and stories. But we'll never know i guess

Edited by Gkalaitza

Way of Water was fantastic filmmaking and I liked Avatar 09 fairly well but I do miss James Cameron doing literally anything that isn't Avatar. Terminator 2 is probably my favorite blockbuster of all time, in large part because it has a steel and darkness that Avatar et all lack. It's true sci fi in that sense.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I don't agree with this at all lol. Did you not see the camera flexing he was doing in West Side Story?

I know it was a bigger financial bomb than even Cats was, but I loved West Side Story. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On the topic of M3GAN and first weekend of January, I'm going to pull a @MikeQ and leave you guys with a list.

Biggest first weekend of the year openings since 2000 (including wide expansions):

*In this particular calendar configuration I consider January 8-10 the first weekend of the year as nothing ever gets released January 1-3. Remove all January 8 releases if you wish the list to more accurately reflect movies released on the first 7 days of January 

1. The Revenant* (expanded wide January 8, 2016)

$39,826,840

2. The Devil Inside (January 6, 2012)

$33,732,515

3. Insidious: The Last Key Key (January 5, 2018)

$29,581,355

4. White Noise (January 7, 2005)

$24,113,565

5. Hidden Figures (expanded wide January 6, 2017)

$22,800,057

6. Texas Chainsa(January 4, 2013)

$21,744,470

7. Hostel (January 6, 2006)

$19,556,099

8. Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones (January 3, 2014)

$18,343,611

9. Escape Room (January 4, 2019)

$18,238,172

10. A Beautiful Mind (expanded wide January 4, 2002)

$16,565,820

11. Traffic (expanded wide January 5, 2001)

$15,517,549

12. Daybreakers* (January 8, 2010)

$15,146,692

13. The Woman in Black 2: Angel of Death (January 2, 2015)

$15,027,415

14. Underworld: Blood Wars (January 6, 2017)

$13,688,751

15. The Forest* (January 8, 2016)

$12,741,176

16. One Missed Call (January 4, 2008)

$12,511,473

17. The Grudge (January 3, 2020)

$11,404,113

18. Season of the Witch (January 7, 2011)

$10,612,375

19. Children of Men (expanded wide January 5, 2007)

$10,197,775

• Like 3

T2 is my all time favorite action movie (next to Die Hard) and I totally forgot, that it was a blockbuster back then 

I hope Cameron will do something completely new after Avatar 3(4), but the chances are slim.