Kalo

The Top 50 of STAR WARS - A Countdown | countdown is complete #1 on page 8

On 1/16/2023 at 12:46 AM, Kalo said:

#49 The Han Solo Adventures - 37 Points 

Star Wars The Han Solo Adventures A Del Rey Book: Brian Daley:  9780345379801: Amazon.com: Books

This is technically 3 novels but they were tied and part of a trilogy so I cheated and put them as one.

The Han Solo Adventures, written by Brian Daley (Han solo at star's end, Hans Solo's Revenge and Han Solo and the lost legacy. are a set of very early expanded universe novels released from 1979-1980. in fact they are only the second novels ever to expand Star Wars canon, the first being "Splinter of the Minds Eye" released in 1978.

And of course they follow Han Solo on is scoundrel adventures, prior to the events of a new hope.

My thoughts: I have actually not read this series. so I know very little about it, it is on my to read list though, and I have read The Paradise Snare which is the start of a newer Han Solo trilogy released in the late 1990s and loved it and apparently events from this series are incorporated into that series, 

The Han Solo adventures ranks #12 on novels to appear in the top 50.

On 1/17/2023 at 11:21 PM, Kalo said:

Part 2

Star Wars Tales of the Jedi TPB (1994 Dark Horse) comic books

New! unranked in 2020 countdown!

Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi (not to be confused with the 2022 animated short series of the same name) is a series of comic books published Dark Horce Comics from 1993 to 1998. Part of the Star wars Expanded Universe, they follow the great Sith war and the great Hyperspace war. the first book is set in 3,996 BBY (before the battle of Yavin, making it the oldest in the star wars timeline until Star Wars Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi comics series was published in 2012. 

The series was a critical success and finical success and go on to span 9 comic book arch's. 

My Thoughts: I have not read this series, I don't read a whole lot of comics in general, but it sounds super interesting and I love pretty much all old republic era star wars. so I may have to seek this out.

Great Hyperspace War | Wookieepedia | Fandom

Tales of the Jedi ranks #1 of Comics to make the top 50 and is the one comic series to do so.

1970s: 1

1980s: 1

1990s: 1

2000s: 4

2010s: 3

2020s: 1

Unfortunate victims of not enough people having experience with them. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Unfortunate victims of not enough people having experience with them. 

Next time. I plan to do no limits on book inclusion. That should help boosts them next time. Perhaps. Sadly star wars novels have always been kind of fringe though

#36 Dark Force II: Jedi Knight - 55 Points 

Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II (Video Game) - TV Tropes

New! Unranked in 2020 countdown

Star Wars Dark Forces II Jedi Knight is a Lucasarts game released for Microsoft Windows on Oct 10th 1997, the sequel to star was Dark Forces. it is the second game in the "Jedi Knight" series. 

Dark Forces II once again follows the mercenary Kyle Katarn and takes place one year after Return of the Jedi, and in this installment Kyle Discovers his connection to the force as well as the valley of the Jedi and is on a mission to avenge his father who was murdered by the dark jedi Jerec.

The game went on to become a best seller upon first year of release, Jedi Knight reached lifetime sales of 247,036 units in the country and became its 21st-best-selling computer game of 1997. Jedi Knight, also received "universal acclaim" from critics, according to review aggregator Metacritic. The game holds an aggregate score of 91 out of 100

How 'Star Wars' Game 'Dark Forces' Changed Shooters Forever | Inverse

Note: The series has filmed cut scenes with live action actors, giving the game a unique and cinematic experience. 

My thoughts: I love this series. but I must admit I have not played this game, I do own it on steam and I still need to finish "Dark Forces" before playing it. 

Game Rank: #7

Spoiler

Jedi Knight is the second game of the "Jedi Knight" series to make the top 50. 

Series/author's so far: 

High Republic: 2

Lego Star Wars: 1

James Luceno: 2

Dark Forces/Jedi Knight: 2

Lucasarts: 3

Decades: 

1990s: 2

2000s: 6

2010s: 4

2020s: 2

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Impact said:

Will you have a list of what made the most and least lists?

(Well most lists might be pointless for the films)

BTW, great job so far!

Yes of sorts,  maybe not a separate list. but I will note which had the most #1 placements and most bottom placements. neither has shown up yet.

Due to the advantage for large lists there were a couple titles that only made 1 list in the top 50 but they placed very high on the lists. some titles placed higher simply because they were on almost every list. not 100 accurate rating system probably, but it does allow more unknown and niche properties to get a shout out, which was my intention, the more popular films were on so many lists I think it ended up mostly fair though. my intention was never to "rig" anything. just show more "Star Wars" content. and the highest ranking titles to receive only 1 vote have already shown up at #41, (Darth Plagiues and Tales of the Jedi).

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 1

#35 I, Jedi - 57 Points 

I, Jedi by Michael A. Stackpole

New! Unranked in 2020 countdown

I, Jedi written by Michael J Stackpole, is a Star Wars Legends novel that was released on May 4th, 1998 and takes place approximately 7 years after Return of the Jedi.  The novel follows Corran Horn a jedi in training by Luke Skywalker and is written in first person through Corran's perspective, the first Star Wars novel's to do so.  

The novel received rave reviews and is considered one of the best Star Wars novels in the Expanded Universe.  

My thoughts: I am ashamed to say I have owned this book for years and have not read it, I plan to like I said I just haven't been reading really any Star Wars novels lately and that and I have been reading the massive Wheel of Time series for the past year and a half (I'm on book 12 now almost done yay!), but I have read alot of Star Wars novel with Corran Horn in them and I thought he was a really great character, one interesting thing about him is a force sensitive character who has no telepathic abilities aka he can not move things with his mind.  

Novel ranking: #6

Spoiler

Series/author's so far: 

Michael A Stackpole: 1

Legends novels: 4
Cannon novels: 3

Decades: 

1990s: 3

2000s: 6

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Impact said:

What was the average number of entries per list?

I did not calculate average lists size when I was tallying the lists, I would have to look at them again. 

#34 - Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds - 60 Points 

STAR WARS™ Galactic Battlegrounds Saga on Steam

New! unranked in 2020 countdown

Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds was a real time strategy based video game developed by Ensemble Studios and LucasArts. and released Nov 11, 2001 (my Birthday yay!) a year later an expansion pack was released with the "clone campaign" and was released as a boxed set called Galactic Battlegrounds saga. 

The game play is set up like the "Age of Empires" and follows you on a random map where you mine the resources of the land, farm and build various military bases and troop center, in the story mode there is a set of quests you must complete, you can play as the empire, the rebels, the republic the separatists, the wookies, the royal naboo and yes even the gungans. 

The game was released to positive reviews Metacritic gaving it a 75/100. it would go on to see over  225,000 copies and earned $9.8 million by August 2006.

STAR WARS™ Galactic Battlegrounds Saga on Steam

in May 2016 an unofficial expanding fronts campaign was released that let you play as sequel trilogy such as the first order and the resistance.

My thoughts: I loved this game, I was a huge can of the Caeser III game which was where you built your own city in the roman empire, and this was basically star wars' answer to that game, and the fact that you can play as so many different factions in star wars, including the Gungans, makes it really unique imo.

Spoiler

Series/author's so far: 

Legends novels: 4

Decades: 

1990s: 3

2000s: 7

• Like 4

@Kalo maybe for the future lists a weighted system would be better as since you mentioned in the opening post that the pile of garbage that are TROS, Boba Fett and heck even Holiday Special can be above some of the much greater novels or old school games, the rating system could either be simply be (number of entries + 1 - rank) * highest points/(number of entries), for example in the current system someone who has only watched films will proceed to give even TROS a score of 42/50 points as compared to a long time time fan who has engaged in all types of content and rate something like ANH as rank 10th or 15th which in the current system will mean it will get less points than TROS. 

2 hours ago, Immortal said:

@Kalo maybe for the future lists a weighted system would be better as since you mentioned in the opening post that the pile of garbage that are TROS, Boba Fett and heck even Holiday Special can be above some of the much greater novels or old school games, the rating system could either be simply be (number of entries + 1 - rank) * highest points/(number of entries), for example in the current system someone who has only watched films will proceed to give even TROS a score of 42/50 points as compared to a long time time fan who has engaged in all types of content and rate something like ANH as rank 10th or 15th which in the current system will mean it will get less points than TROS. 

When developing a scoring system it's important to set up the rules to maximize the chances of validating one's own opinions.

Next time I'm going to list 100+ pieces of media with TLJ and TROS at the top and every other popular entry at the bottom.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Immortal said:

This is a weighted ranking system If someone had listed 50 then the top 1 was worth 50 points. Whereas if someone only listed 10 the top film would only be worth 10. Most people only gave lists of 10-25. So there really wasn't too much issue with that expect that pretty everyone listed TROS and Boba Fett. Thus making them still rank higher than some far superior content. I had tried to allow negative points for that very reason, but everyone wined and were scared that Last Jedi would end up on the bottom. (It did get several bottom rankings so their fears were somewhat warranted. But still). There just aren't enough star wars super fans here who have played 10+ games read multiple novels or to a lesser extent even watch the TV shows. So the movies were always going to rank higher at a lol movie based website. I think there could be some revision for the next one though. Maybe only list titles you actually liked? I didn't specify this was a top 50 at first I was thinking of doing all of them but that would be a bit to long and kind of unnecessary tbh. Don't worry The holiday special did not make the top 50. A couple people did actually like TROS and Boba (which I actually didn't hate) is the problem. 

• Like 1

#32 & #33 Star Wars Specter of the Past & Vision of the Future - 64 & 63 Points 

Hand of Thrawn (Literature) - TV Tropes

New Both titles were unranked in 2020 countdown!

“Grand Admiral Thrawn could perhaps have breathed the remaining sparks into an Imperial Victory. But Grand Admiral Thrawn was gone.”
― Timothy Zahn, Specter of the Past

“Without trust, there can be no genuine peace. Neither in politics, nor in the quiet individuality of the heart and spirit.”
― Timothy Zahn, Vision of the Future

(This is two books but because they are part of a duology and only separated by 1 point I decide to list them together)

The Hand of Thrawn duology (Specter of the Past & Vision of the Future respectively) written by Timothy Zahn and published in 1997 & 1998. and is a sequel series to the "Thrawn Trilogy" 

It's been 21 years since Zahn's Hand of Thrawn duology began, which ended  the 'Imperials as bad guys' storylines of the Bantam era and helped  catapult the EU into the New Jedi

In the novel Specter of the past Thrawn is seemingly resurrected ten years after his death when he reappears to lead the decimated Imperial forces against the unstable New Republic. 

and in it's sequel Vision of the future In Vision of the Future (1998), Admiral Gilad Pellaeon admits that the Empire, down to only a few sectors, is now fighting a losing battle, and initiates peace talks with Princess Leia. However, Moff Disra, disagrees and has plans of his own.

Timothy Zhan in the star wars expanded community is basically a hero. as his Novel "Hair to the Empire" released in 1991, essentially birthed what is now known as the "Expanded Universe" sure there were a couple novels written about Han and Lando. but they were prequels and did not continue the story past originals. Hair to the empire opened the floodgates for the universe to continue past Return of the Jedi which stretched decades past the fall of the empire and would lead the way for literally hundreds of novels set in the star wars universe. this sequel series. much like the originals was met with near universal praise and an instant best seller. 

My Thoughts: I loved this series alot, in fact I believe I liked the duology more than the original Thrawn trilogy, like most my Star Wars reads it has been quite some time since I have read them. So it is definitely time for a re-read. but this is a must read. and if you have never read a star wars book I would say the Thrawn series is an excellent place to start. it is very cinematic would have made an excellent sequel film trilogy.

Specter of the Past novel ranking: #4

Vison of the Future Novel ranking #5

Spoiler

Series/author's so far: 

Timothy Zhan: 2

Legends novels: 6

Decades: 

1990s: 5

2000s: 7

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 4

#31 - Lego Star Wars the complete Saga/ Skywalker Saga - 96 Points 

LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga Unveils Release Date - Xbox Wire

-10 Star Wars the Complete Saga ranked 21 in 2020 countdown.

"MMm blah bbmma mmam mma" - Mumble mode. - Lego Star Wars

( I kind of combined both Skywalker and complete saga, partly by error and in part because they essentially the same game just re-made, and there was a lot of lego star wars in general and it deserves a shout out)

Buy LEGO Star Wars: TCS | Xbox

Lego Star Wars The Complete Saga was released in 2007 and was the first Lego Star Wars to have all six film incorporated into the gameplay the game like all the others was a hit. 

and in 2022 Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga was released with updated graphics game play, characters and included all sequel era movie levels as well as the Prequel and original making it the longest and most comprehensive Lego Star Wars game to date.   

My thoughts: these games are a lot of fun, I still have to finish The Skywalker Saga, but it is huge, and I am enjoying the scope of the game and it's graphics. I love all these games, they are alot of fun.

Note: Lego Star Wars the Skywalker Saga is the last film to appear on the list to receive under 100 points. it is also the highest ranking Lego Star Wars on the list.

Game Ranking: #5

Spoiler

Series/author's so far: 

Lego Star Wars: 2

Decades: 

2000s: 8

2020s: 3

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 6

On 1/22/2023 at 4:29 PM, Kalo said:

I had tried to allow negative points for that very reason, but everyone wined and were scared that Last Jedi would end up on the bottom.

I think it was less whining and more pointing out that it's dumb.  The irony, or course, is that you only proposed it because you were scared that The Last Jedi would end up near the top.

• Knock It Off 1

17 hours ago, ZackM said:

I think it was less whining and more pointing out that it's dumb.  The irony, or course, is that you only proposed it because you were scared that The Last Jedi would end up near the top.

I was kind of exaggerating when I said whined. I was just being dramatic. People are so touchy these days and anyways, that's not the reason I proposed it. I was more afraid TROS would end up higher than it should and it did. Dispite getting more bottom placements than any film on the list. I like The Last Jedi now if not as much of some of you but I don't care if it ends up high. It is a somewhat divisive film though and I understand why. But TROS is a disgrace to star wars fans imo. 

Edited by Kalo

#30 Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast - 107 Points 

Star Wars: Jedi Knight II - Jedi Outcast for PlayStation 4 (2019 ...

Rank -8 Jedi Outcast ranked 22 in 2020 countdown 

"I'm no Jedi, I'm just a guy with a Lightsaber" - Kyle Katarn 

Star Wars: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast was released March 26th 2002, for the PC, PS2 and Nintendo Gamecube, it is a sequel to 'Dark Force II: Jedi Knight, and the third in the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight Series. The game once again follows Kyle Katarn as our man protagonist. but this time Kyle has left the jedi Order and is doing various mercenary work for the New Republic, however when his partner Jan Ore is captured by the Dark Jedi Dissan, Kyle is once again confronted with taking up the mantle of Jedi Knight, and to rescue Jan.  

Jedi Outcast, received near universe acclaim at the time of release, and currently holds an aggregate score of 89 out of 100 on Metacritic.  Andrew Reiner of game informer called  it "the quintessential Star Wars game and a feast for all FPS devotees." He also wrote, "without question, Jedi Outcast is the most enjoyable and accomplished Star Wars game yet." 

The game was also a best seller In the United States, Jedi Outcast's computer version sold 390,000 copies and earned $17 million by August 2006. At the time, this led Edge to declare it the country's 39th-best-selling computer game, and best-selling Jedi Knight computer title,

Download STAR WARS Jedi Knight II - Jedi Outcast Full PC Game

My Thoughts: I love this game, I was really into star wars when it came out and I think I got it for me twelfth birthday actually, either that or my sister got it for hers, the release date is closer to hers lol. but I spent countless hours playing this game, the game-play and story are great, it a long game so you have to put the time to beat it and started out without force powers or a lightsaber. makes both feeling really earned once you get them. but yeah I can't say enough positives about this game, I bought it for my PS4 last year and beat the game again, and it was just about as fun as the first time.  it is probably my 3rd or 4th favorite star wars game ever. and it has some of the best outtakes and deaths ever, also be careful it does not have friendly fire and you can kill your own team mates, and it can be addictive to watch. 

Game Rank: #6

Jedi Outcast is the highest ranking Jedi Knight game to make the list

Spoiler

Series/author's so far: 

Lego Star Wars: 2

Dark Forces/Jedi Knight: 3

Lucasarts: 4

Decades: 

2000s: 9

2020s: 3

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Kalo said:

#30 Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast - 107 Points 

Star Wars: Jedi Knight II - Jedi Outcast for PlayStation 4 (2019 ...

Rank -8 Jedi Outcast ranked 22 in 2020 countdown 

"I'm no Jedi, I'm just a guy with a Lightsaber" - Kyle Katarn 

Star Wars: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast was released March 26th 2002, for the PC, PS2 and Nintendo Gamecube, it is a sequel to 'Dark Force II: Jedi Knight, and the third in the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight Series. The game once again follows Kyle Katarn as our man protagonist. but this time Kyle has left the jedi Order and is doing various mercenary work for the New Republic, however when his partner Jan Ore is captured by the Dark Jedi Dissan, Kyle is once again confronted with taking up the mantle of Jedi Knight, and to rescue Jan.  

Jedi Outcast, received near universe acclaim at the time of release, and currently holds an aggregate score of 89 out of 100 on Metacritic.  Andrew Reiner of game informer called  it "the quintessential Star Wars game and a feast for all FPS devotees." He also wrote, "without question, Jedi Outcast is the most enjoyable and accomplished Star Wars game yet." 

The game was also a best seller In the United States, Jedi Outcast's computer version sold 390,000 copies and earned $17 million by August 2006. At the time, this led Edge to declare it the country's 39th-best-selling computer game, and best-selling Jedi Knight computer title,

Download STAR WARS Jedi Knight II - Jedi Outcast Full PC Game

My Thoughts: I love this game, I was really into star wars when it came out and I think I got it for me twelfth birthday actually, either that or my sister got it for hers, the release date is closer to hers lol. but I spent countless hours playing this game, the game-play and story are great, it a long game so you have to put the time to beat it and started out without force powers or a lightsaber. makes both feeling really earned once you get them. but yeah I can't say enough positives about this game, I bought it for my PS4 last year and beat the game again, and it was just about as fun as the first time.  it is probably my 3rd or 4th favorite star wars game ever. and it has some of the best outtakes and deaths ever, also be careful it does not have friendly fire and you can kill your own team mates, and it can be addictive to watch. 

Game Rank: #6

Jedi Outcast is the highest ranking Jedi Knight game to make the list

Reveal hidden contents

only 30, sad

• Sad 1