Kalo

The Top 50 of STAR WARS - A Countdown | countdown is complete #1 on page 8

2 hours ago, Impact said:

Finally I can reply, I kept on trying but my phone kept on wanting to quote posts instead! Anyway, how the heck is the Last Jedi not mentioned yet? I thought that was pretty much hated. (I now regret having the Holiday Special in last place on my list.)

Only beautiful people like Last Jedi.

• Heart 1

15 hours ago, Impact said:

Finally I can reply, I kept on trying but my phone kept on wanting to quote posts instead! Anyway, how the heck is the Last Jedi not mentioned yet? I thought that was pretty much hated.

It never was, nor were any of the other movies really. It's just another case of a group of people shouting the loudest, and many people confusing that with them being a majority. That's barely ever actually the case though.

What TLJ has, is a sizeable part of the fandom who cannot stand the movie at all. But they aren't remotely close to being the majority of the fandom, and they are even further away from being a majority among the general audience.

In general terms, you tend to have the general public, which quickly moves on to the next thing, and who tends to be the a majority of the audience. Their reception can differ, but they aren't really getting involved in any debates about the movie. They were looking for some enjoyment, they either got it or they didn't, but it's not a big deal either way.

Then you have the hyped fanboys, who tend to tell everyone how awesome the movie was in the early going after the release, before eventually quieting down. They might still talk about the movie in a smaller circle, but they don't feel the need to convince everyone how much they should love the movie once the initial rush is over. And then you have the detractors, who tend to be incapable of moving on. They try to make every debate about how much the movie sucks, and will continue to harp on about it for months or years. The latter are the worst, not because they dislike the movie, but because they cannot live without trying to make others feel bad about about the movie (or themselves for daring to like it).

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

#9 Star Wars Episode VIII The Last Jedi - 423 Points 

Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi (2017) - IMDb

-5 The Last Jedi Ranked #4 in 2020 countdown

"Let the Past die, Kill it if you have to" - Kylo Ren

Star Wars The Last jedi was directed by Rian Johnson and is the second film in the "Sequel" Trilogy" taking place directly after the events of the Force Awakens, after escaping from Kylo Ren and the first Order, Rey finds the Legendary Jedi Master Luke Skywalker in hopes if him training her in the ways of the force. meanwhile, the New Republic's forces hinges in the balance as the as they try to maintain their now dwindling numbers as they are forced in a game of cat and mouse from the massive Starflight of the First Order.

The Last Jedi was released on December 15th 2017. and while it couldn't quite breaking the massive opening numbers of the Force Awakens, it still opened to a massive $220m (the second biggest opening weekend of all time at the time), the film although embraced by critics, was a bit more divisive by fans and closed significant lower than The Force Awakens at $620m Domestically and $1b,334m worldwide. good enough for #2 highest grossing star wars film ever and 6# highest grossing of all time domestically at the time. and #1 highest grossing film of 2017. not a bad finish by any means. 

giphy.gif

Critics loved the film and on Rotten Tomatoes, 91% of 487 critics' reviews are positive, with an average rating of 8.1/10. The website's consensus reads, "Star Wars: The Last Jedi honors the saga's rich legacy while adding some surprising twists—and delivering all the emotion-rich action fans could hope for."[101] Metacritic, which uses a weighted average, assigned the film a score of 84 out of 100, based on 56 critics, indicating "universal acclaim"

with a 91% positive critic ratio, it makes the the 4th highest rating Star Wars film by critics (on Rotten Tomatoes at least, behind, Empire Strikes Back, A New Hope and The Force Awakens).

The Last Jedi Teaser Trailer breakdown – Mos Eisley Chronicles

The Last Jedi has a very passionate fanbase, who loves this movie, some claiming it is the films star wars film since "The Empire Strikes Back" what it also has is a decent portion of Star Wars fans you HATE it. claiming it doesn't respect the lore of Star Wars and most notably handles the Character and Legacy of Luke Skywalker "poorly" I tend to be somewhat in the middle and can kind of see both sides. but this movie weather you love it or hate it, is probably the most decisive film in the star wars saga.  Strangle it was also the only film in the countdown to receive over 3 #1 rankings and 3 bottom rankings. kind of confirming that assumption of the film, it did have ALOT of ratings in the top 5 though, so in generally I would say it's is definitely more liked than disliked. but that doesn't mean we should ignore that fact that a decent amount of people simply don't like this movie. 

My thoughts:

Spoiler

I have had somewhat of a whirlwind relationship with this film, I really liked The Force Awakens when it came out but felt it was a little bare bones basic and my opinion of the film would hinge greatly on what I thought of it's sequel, and when first saw it, I'm not gonna say I forced myself to like it, but I had some pretty big issues with the the film but still really enjoyed it despite them, but it did not blow my expatiations like i had hope and while I did think it was more unique than the force of awakens, and did do some things better, but some things bothered me more from a Star Wars lore perspective than quality wise. I would say it is mostly a pretty well made film, and it is a visually a very beautiful film.  although there are still some really cheesy scenes and an inconsistencies with The Force Awakens that  don't make much sense to me, like at the end of the force awakens the resistance wins, they blow up Starkiller base. meaning they shuold have evened the playing field some right? well not so fast. they are actually dwindled to a single starlight that Poe, rather stupidly is very careless with and depletes them more by sacrificing dreadnoughts just to put a dent in the first orders fleet. not very smart when you only have 20 more so ships to spares. also there is Luke being.. kind of a cowards he is hurt because he tried to kill his nephew and thinks he failed the whole order for about a decade and thinks the Jedi are the problem. granted. the Jedi in the old republic did have some MAJOR issues so I can kind of see where he is coming from, he does basically come around in the end and do some pretty awesome stuff. so I think I have better opinion of this then I did a few years ago. 

the best thing about this movie is the dynamic between Rey and Kylo Ren in my opinion  and their "Force Connection" Daisy Ridley and Adam Driver have great chemistry together and we see some glimpse where that could have gone, Rian Johnson is known for using misdirection, and he does that a lot here, but I still feel he plays it pretty safe and really wished Rey and Kylo would have teamed up for a while and that could have been the plot of "Rise of Skywalker" having them have this balance somewhere between light and dark, especially since it hinted some much at the call do the dark for Rey and the Light for Kylo in this movie.  there is a beautiful reunion scene between Luke and Leia that is all the more heartbreaking after the tragic passing of Carrie Fisher, and that Luke entrance is so freaking epic. so yeah I still have some pretty big issues with this movie, but after a re-watch this move feels the most like a "person" making it and not a corporate Machine, and I actually switched my opinion of the film I really like it, and it's probably my favourite in the trilogy. a few tweaks couldn't have made it great, but it's still really good. it also once again has a fantastic score by John Williams, the spark being a standout theme. 

also this scene with Oscar Isaac may have help my opinion of the film some:

Spoiler

rinskiroo — noir-hufflepuff: Poe Dameron's butt appreciation...

Also here is some more of him, he is so lovely:

The Last Jedi Trailer breakdown Part I – Mos Eisley Chronicles

justauthoring — Half in Half (9/15)

Pin by Anna on books / movies / tv / etc in 2023 | Oscar isaac, Oscar, Poe  dameron

The Star Wars fanbase trying to agree on the last Jedi: 

Star Wars - Yin&Yang|Reylo #40: "...He was at her mercy, yet she'd left him  alive... Almost as if she cared for him." - Fan Forum

The Haters: 

giphy.gif

The Defenders:

Rey by Pixelrey | Star wars icons, Rey star wars, Star wars movie

Everyone else:

4826825f33a8b08108c364acd56137a61153f79d

The last Jedi was nominated for 4 Oscars. it ranks 7th of all Star Wars films and is the first of the sequel trilogy to make the top 10. 

1# Rankings: 4
Top 3 Rankings: 7
Top 5 Rankings: 11
Bottom rankings: 3
Movie Ranking: 7#

Spoiler

High Republic: 2

Lego Star Wars: 2

James Luceno: 2

Michael A Stackpole: 1

Dark Forces/Jedi Knight: 3

Lucasarts: 8

Timothy Zhan: 5

Dave Feloni: 6

Disney+: 6

Legends novels: 9
Cannon novels: 3

Decades: 

1970s: 1

1980s: 1

1990s: 10

2000s: 15

2010s: 10

2020s: 10

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Impact said:

Finally I can reply, I kept on trying but my phone kept on wanting to quote posts instead! Anyway, how the heck is the Last Jedi not mentioned yet? I thought that was pretty much hated. (I now regret having the Holiday Special in last place on my list).

Something about Star Wars is your age. Remember, ESB and TLJ were not liked by adults at the time. (I can understand the hate for ESB's ending as at the time it wasn't unusual to just end tour film open ended without ever having a follow up) 

I didn't hate TPM as much as others actually. (I was 17), Clones though I hated the love story. 

TLJ I thought was okay at first, but I like it even less now. 

Mando was pretty good, it should of ended at season 2 though. (Actually have little intrest in watching s3)

lol

#8 The Mandalorian - 440 Points 

The Mandalorian | Disney+ Originals

"This is the way" - The Mandalorian creed 

+5 The Mandalorian ranked #12 in the 2020 countdown

The Mandalorian was created by Jon Favreau and was the launch pad show for the streaming service Disney+ released on Nov 12th 2019. the show was a run-away success, making the launch of the service massive success and was a much needed remedy after the very divisive Last Jedi, and the financial failure of Solo. and would keep star wars fans engaged when The Rise of Skywalker would release a month later and fail to live up to lofty fan expectations. 

Space Daddy Pascal is a loner, living week by week finding new bounties, he lives a mundane existence until he becomes a real daddy and finds a baby in a basket and he would be it's poppa. and it would be a baby Yoda and the world take the world by storm. 

Mandalorian Baby GIF - Mandalorian Baby Yoda - Discover & Share GIFs

Baby Yoda, known only as "the Child" in the first season, he became lovingly known as the baby yoda. until in season 2 it is revealed his name is Grugu. be most people still call him baby Yoda. is probably the biggest season character phenomenon of the 2020s (and 2019). the world fell in love with him and he is unbelievably cute so he has made Disney millions in merch, even the casual star wars fans know who he is and almost everyone owns some kind of baby Yoda merch (I own socks and an action figure I think a couple other things). 

Baby Yoda Baby Yoda Soup GIF - Baby Yoda Baby Yoda Soup Baby Yoda Tea -  Discover & Share GIFs

Anyways the show takes place 5 years after Return of the Jedi and about 25 years before the force awakens, making it a new territory for Disney to mine (for tv and films that is there was tons of books around this time, that are no longer cannon thanks Disney). and is kind of a sequel to Star Wars Rebels, and Clone Wars with Dave Filoni being involved, it has several returning characters making an appearance for the first time in live action form, including fan favorite Ashoka Tano.

the mandalorian gifs | WiffleGif

In two season The Mandalorian has been nominated for a staggering 34 Emmy nominations including 14 wins, it has a 90% positive ratio on Rotten Tomatoes, For the first season, the review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes reported a 93% approval rating with an average rating of 7.9/10 based on 337 reviews. The website's critical consensus reads, "Action-packed and expertly-crafted—if at times a bit too withholding—The Mandalorian is a welcome addition to the Star Wars universe that benefits greatly from the cuteness of its cargo." it has a 8.7 on IMDB good enough for #86 for highest rated tv shows of all time on the fan rated website. 

Mandalorian Baby GIF - Mandalorian Baby Yoda - Discover & Share GIFs

My Thoughts: I really like this show, it is basically a western with a star wars skin, which is kind of what the original Star Wars was, so it gives off very old school vibes. while feeling fresh, I love how this show uses a lot of practical visuals, but things mostly familiar with the star wars films, like many of the species of aliens used in the original and prequel trilogy are used, that was one of the criticism I had with the sequel trilogy they had almost all new alien races and it just didn't feel like star wars to me, this does, anyways I also love Pedro Pascal (even more now that I am watching The Last of Us) and think he does a great job as the title character. and of course I fell in love with Grugu, he is so stinking cute. I have only watched the 1st episode of season 3. so I am behind atm, I was slightly disappointed with that opening episode, but without getting too spoilerly I can't really talk about it much, but yes this is a great show overall, it is probably my 3rd favorite star wars show after Andor and The Clone Wars. 

The Mandalorian is the second highest ranking Star Wars show and one of only 3 to make the top 10 and wins the Mandalorian Armor award for ranking #2. 

Spoiler

The Mandalorian GIF - The Mandalorian - Discover & Share GIFs | Star wars  characters poster, Mandalorian, Star wars canon

Spoiler

1# Rankings: 0
Top 3 Rankings: 0
Top 5 Rankings: 3
Bottom Rankings: 0
TV Show ranking 2#

High Republic: 2

Lego Star Wars: 2

James Luceno: 2

Michael A Stackpole: 1

Dark Forces/Jedi Knight: 3

Lucasarts: 8

Timothy Zhan: 5

Dave Feloni: 7

Disney+: 7

Legends novels: 9
Cannon novels: 3

Decades: 

1970s: 1

1980s: 1

1990s: 10

2000s: 15

2010s: 11

2020s: 12

• Like 6

TLJ it's just pure trash. There's nothing redeeming about that film. Everything that was set up in the force awakens was shit on flushed down the toilet and forgotten about by Rian johnson. I've never disliked anything about Star wars before the last jedi. The last Jedi changed all of that. It's the only Star wars production I truly despise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 2

On 3/12/2023 at 6:18 PM, ZackM said:

Mando over TLJ is a crime and I'm reporting all of you to the FBI.

I think people should be allowed to change their Mando votes after seeing today’s episode.  Surely it falls out of the top 10.

19 hours ago, baumer said:

TLJ it's just pure trash. There's nothing redeeming about that film. Everything that was set up in the force awakens was shit on flushed down the toilet and forgotten about by Rian johnson. I've never disliked anything about Star wars before the last jedi. The last Jedi changed all of that. It's the only Star wars production I truly despise.

Funny, I can't think of a single thing that was set up in TFA that was somehow "forgotten about" in TLJ, much less "shit on". The movie did in fact adhere strictly to everything TFA said. It was TFA that split up the heroes prior to the second part. It was TFA that claimed that Luke blamed himself for what happened and left everything behind, it was TFA that showed us that Finn cared mostly about Rey and saving his own skin and not about being a hero of the resistance. That the list goes on and on.

I think some people just confuse what they read into the story - or wanted to happen - with what TFA actually said.

Edited by George Parr
  • Like 7
  • Sad 1

On 3/15/2023 at 7:42 PM, baumer said:

Give me a break. TFA was some cookie cutter, carbon copy of a ANH. Acting like it was some masterpiece that needed to be worshipped. Stop

Edited by mldardy

19 hours ago, George Parr said:

Funny, I can't think of a single thing that was set up in TFA that was somehow "forgotten about" in TLJ, much less "shit on". The movie did in fact adhere strictly to everything TFA said. It was TFA that split up the heroes prior to the second part. It was TFA that claimed that Luke blamed himself for what happened and left everything behind, it was TFA that showed us that Finn cared mostly about Rey and saving his own skin and not about being a hero of the resistance. That the list goes on and on.

I think some people just confuse what they read into the story - or wanted to happen - with what TFA actually said.

Years ago I would have agreed with you. But having seen hundreds if not thousands of movies since then, I no longer agree. Not because what you say is false, but because...

No amount of logic or reasoning or explanation will make someone change how they feel about a movie (generally).

That is how baumer feels. That's how the movie made him feel.

You can explain all you want that the movie was exactly how it was marketed to be, or that the TFA+TLJ story progression makes perfect sense, but the truth is that some people felt that it didn't. That it went against everything TFA set up. That they felt betrayed by the story and its handling of the characters. And that is all there is to it.

I'm mostly ambivalent on this (I used to hate TLJ but after a rewatch I gave it around a 7/10) but I can see where baumer is coming from.

Sometimes, emotions trump everything else.

Sorry for continuing the dreaded TLJ discussion but I feel like people are being unfairly mean to his opinion here...

edit: For the record I've always enjoyed your contributions around these forums George, they're always insightful, keep doing what you're doing. I just had to throw my 2 cents here  :ph34r:

Edited by Daxtreme
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Daxtreme said:

Years ago I would have agreed with you. But having seen hundreds if not thousands of movies since then, I no longer agree. Not because what you say is false, but because...

No amount of logic or reasoning or explanation will make someone change how they feel about a movie (generally).

That is how baumer feels. That's how the movie made him feel.

You can explain all you want that the movie was exactly how it was marketed to be, or that the TFA+TLJ story progression makes perfect sense, but the truth is that some people felt that it didn't. That it went against everything TFA set up. That they felt betrayed by the story and its handling of the characters. And that is all there is to it.

I'm mostly ambivalent on this (I used to hate TLJ but after a rewatch I gave it around a 7/10) but I can see where baumer is coming from.

Sometimes, emotions trump everything else.

Sorry for continuing the dreaded TLJ discussion but I feel like people are being unfairly mean to his opinion here...

edit: For the record I've always enjoyed your contributions around these forums George, they're always insightful, keep doing what you're doing. I just had to throw my 2 cents here  :ph34r:

Well, yes, sometimes emotions trump everything else, that is very much true. And I don't see anything wrong in someone disliking a movie or even hating it if the person feels he needs to go there.

That being said, one should not accept people throwing reality out of the window. Otherwise you end up with certain people and their alternative facts. People can feel whatever they want, but they do not have the right to lie about stuff or pretend that their feelings matter more than facts. At that point you simply have to draw the line. You shouldn't try to force your opinion onto them, but correcting incorrect statements is a given, even if you generally like the person (or maybe, especially then?).

Someone's dislike for a movie is not wrong, there is no argument to be made against someone feeling he didn't like a movie. A person cannot be wrong about his own opinion. He can however make up faux reasons for it that go against what is actually happening in the movie, and that is not an opinion anymore. There is something you can have an opinion about (e.g. was a movie good or not), there are things that are open to interpretation, but there are also things that either happened or didn't happen. What one feels should have happened has no bearing whatsoever on whether the person behind a sequel followed up on what the first movie set up.

Logic and reason may not convince someone who hates something that he is wrong, but that doesn't mean you should stop saying facts under such circumstances. If you let incorrect things stand, other people may confuse it for being true. Bad things happened way too often when people didn't speak up. Now, that is rather meaningless on such a largely irrelevant topic as a movie, but the principle remains the same. Not to mention that there are actual people behind these movies, whose lives are very much impacted if people lie about them or drag their name threw the mud out of petty personal feelings. Just look at Ahmed Best and Jake Lloyd. Someone who cares so much about his own feelings should maybe try and not trample over the feelings of everyone else, or it just comes off as entitlement.

I have no issue with Baumer hating The Last Jedi, unless you consider feeling it would have been nicer if he had enjoyed it to be having an issue with it ;)

I very much remember him being very positive about Attack of the Clones back on the old BOM-forum, at a time when quite a few members were throwing mud at it. It would very much be preferable if people didn't need to hate something, but that's just not feasible. There are way too many people for there not to be a group to hate something. No matter what you do, someone will always dislike it. But disliking it does not give someone the right to make false claims.

Edited by George Parr
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1