kayumanggi

THE SUPER MARIO BROS. MOVIE | 787.0M overseas | 1362.0M worldwide

My prediction is 300M in Usa/Canada, 300/400M Overseas and then 100M in China

In my market in particular (Italy) I can see it reaching 10M, two times more than Detective Pikachu

And does anyone know how much can we expect from Japan?

Edited by MG10

26 minutes ago, MG10 said:

In my market in particular (Italy) I can see it reaching 10M, two times more than Detective Pikachu

Japan is a hard market to read. There has never been a hollywood adaptation of a japanese property that became popular in Japan. Even generally well-received films like Sonic absolutely cratered in Japan. A realistic good target is something in the 3-5b range ( 22~37 on current ER), which puts it into the high end of illumination films. If you're feeling really, really bullish you could go for 10b I suppose, but I don't think many people that follow the market would follow you on that one. I certainly wouldn't, anyway. But like I said, Japan is a hard market to read. No one would've bet a penny on Frozen being as big as it was here. So if you're feeling it, go for it, I guess.

Edited by JustLurking

4 hours ago, JustLurking said:

Japan is a hard market to read. There has never been a hollywood adaptation of a japanese property that became popular in Japan. Even generally well-received films like Sonic absolutely cratered in Japan. A realistic good target is something in the 3-5b range ( 22~37 on current ER), which puts it into the high end of illumination films. If you're feeling really, really bullish you could go for 10b I suppose, but I don't think many people that follow the market would follow you on that one. I certainly wouldn't, anyway. But like I said, Japan is a hard market to read. No one would've bet a penny on Frozen being as big as it was here. So if you're feeling it, go for it, I guess.

Yeah I was thinking about a 5B yen (35/40M dollars) target even if it may be a bit too high, which would definitely be more than what Detective Pikachu did even though I'm not sure about its gross in yen

On 2/23/2023 at 10:28 AM, JustLurking said:

Sonic isn't the best example since the franchise isn't all that popular in Japan (at least not until Frontiers)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, RobrtmanAStarWarsReference said:

Sonic isn't the best example since the franchise isn't all that popular in Japan (at least not until Frontiers)

There is no positive example to grab. A hollywood take on a japanese IP has never been popular in Japan. They all did between meh and straight up bomb.

On 2/23/2023 at 4:02 PM, MG10 said:

Quoting my prediction from a month and a half ago, I think despite the so-so critics reviews it should still end up at more than 800M, in particular with 350/400M in North America, 400/450M in the rest of the world and 20/30M in China, which I previously overestimated by a lot

Edited by MG10