kayumanggi

THE LITTLE MERMAID | 271.5M overseas | 569.6M worldwide

On 7/24/2023 at 10:41 AM, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

Might barely go over 560 M but could also miss it just by a hair, from the way things are going.

according to box office mojo it's already went over 560 

DOMESTIC (52.8%)
$296,107,607
i dint expect that Barbenheimer effect will be so devastating for barbie in the usa, i thought it will comfortably reach 564 mln which is 2.35x of it's budget. 

2 minutes ago, 1Robert1 said:

according to box office mojo it's already went over 560 

DOMESTIC (52.8%)
$296,107,607
i dint expect that Barbenheimer effect will be so devastating for barbie in the usa, i thought it will comfortably reach 564 mln which is 2.35x of it's budget. 

Everyone expected Barbie to have a devastating effect, they just thought that TLM would hold much better til then. Well, dom anyway. OS was never going to reach 300M, that was obvious since low OW.

I'm actually surprised that it managed a $4M week internationally, I tought it would drop way harder... this most likely means that it had a 2M or so weekend, and about  50% drop which is softer than expected there. Maybe it's due to Japan not having Barbie out just yet.

As it stands, I expect about 2-3 more M coming from USA and pheraps 4-6 M internationally for a final total in the range of 566-570 M WW. 

270 OS + 300 US roughly... with this result being just about the break even point,  whether the movie was a mild disappointement, a slight success or whatever will always be up for discussion, I guess.  Though looking just at pure numbers, I doubt that any studio wishes to invest 1 dollar just to get that  very same dollar back after 5 years (very long development process here, with covid and everything).

I mean, a 1.01$ return on a 1$ investement (1%profit) should not be worth the effort...

Edited by ThePrinceIsOnFire

3 hours ago, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

I'm actually surprised that it managed a $4M week internationally, I tought it would drop way harder... this most likely means that it had a 2M or so weekend, and about  50% drop which is softer than expected there. Maybe it's due to Japan not having Barbie out just yet.

As it stands, I expect about 2-3 more M coming from USA and pheraps 4-6 M internationally for a final total in the range of 566-570 M WW. 

270 OS + 300 US roughly... with this result being just about the break even point,  whether the movie was a mild disappointement, a slight success or whatever will always be up for discussion, I guess.  Though looking just at pure numbers, I doubt that any studio wishes to invest 1 dollar just to get that  very same dollar back after 5 years (very long development process here, with covid and everything).

I mean, a 1.01$ return on a 1$ investement (1%profit) should not be worth the effort...

Yesterday you predicted 560😉 disney wanted increase value of little mermaid brand, and if movie would be success it would be cherry on the cake.

30 minutes ago, 1Robert1 said:

Yesterday you predicted 560😉 disney wanted increase value of little mermaid brand, and if movie would be success it would be cherry on the cake.

560 was my prediction for the weekend, not for its total run 😅 and I was spot on, it barely went over 560 with international numbers coming in (though to be honest I was expecting it to be just slightly under at 559).

Edited by ThePrinceIsOnFire

3 hours ago, 1Robert1 said:
DOMESTIC (52.6%)
$296,908,134
INTERNATIONAL (47.4%)
$267,228,164           almost 2.8 mln last week

1.1 mln from Japan which still doesn't have Barbie +  1.6 mln from the other 60+ markets. Should end up in my predicted range (566-570) with 1/2 more M coming from USA and about 3 more from the rest of the world. 

7 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Weird they did not go for dual features with HM. So it has to rely on labor day expansion to hit 300m. Let us see if Disney goes for it. Previously studios used to try hard to hit milestones as that helps with tv rights but in this streaming era I am not sure as D+ is all internal. 

you probably missed that Disney is looking to give one final boost to the box office of its live-action adaption of “The Little Mermaid”, as Disney has announced a special sing-along version of the film is going to be released

to soon to say if it will be only in one country, but if this be worldwide event it will make more money. I dont see any reason why disney wouldnt want push it too 300mln in usa. Frozen reached 400mln after 155 days, and black panther reached 700mln after 171 days

Edited by 1Robert1

3 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Barbie's gonna make twice as much next week. To be a fly on Iger's wall when that happens.

Iger is definetely not suprised that barbie is much more popular than little mermaid...Animated little mermaid wasnt as popular as aladdin, lion king, or beauty and beast. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1Robert1 said:

Iger is definetely not suprised that barbie is much more popular than little mermaid...Animated little mermaid wasnt as popular as aladdin, lion king, or beauty and beast. 

well then they shouldn't have invested 250M in it or make a live action. Point being, Barbie will make well over twice that TLM made WW for little over half its budget.

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

well then they shouldn't have invested 250M in it or make a live action. Point being, Barbie will make well over twice that TLM made WW for little over half its budget.

Lets be honest many people decided not to see TLM bc of the casting of Ariel sadly

4 hours ago, 1Robert1 said:

To be fair, The Little Mermaid didn't have a so big box office, because it was the movie that started Disney renaissance.

At that time, animation wasn't in a really good position. It was The Little Mermaid who started the renaissance of Disney animated movies.

Edited by Kon

18 hours ago, Mau said:

Lets be honest many people decided not to see TLM bc of the casting of Ariel sadly

Casting cannot shave off 500M. 30-50M worldwide, sure. But 500M? Nah. There was never Aladdin-level interest in this no matter who they cast. 

20 hours ago, Valonqar said:

This movie had also other goals than box office success so Disney would want do this movie even if they know it wouldnt be a profitable movie. 

19 hours ago, Kon said:

To be fair, The Little Mermaid didn't have a so big box office, because it was the movie that started Disney renaissance.

At that time, animation wasn't in a really good position. It was The Little Mermaid who started the renaissance of Disney animated movies.

what about who framed rogger  rabbit,