GOGODanca

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania — Weekend Thread | 105.5M 3-Day, 120M 4-Day

1 hour ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Calling Kevin Feige a hack is ridiculous. His comment about Captain Marvel being the strongest didn't reveal or ruin anything. Captain Marvel is the strongest according to the MCU and he was pandering to Twitter feminists. It's not that deep of a comment. 

When Disney announced all of those series I knew they were making a mistake. They were oversaturating the market and allocating resources to second rate shows that could have been used to make good movies. Also COVID, as well as help kill my Dad, hurt all film production. And it will continue to but not to the same degree. KF will try to turn it around but if he doesn't eventually the lackluster quality will start hurting box office numbers. 

I don't think Feige is the problem, but it's possible the Russo Brothers did more to help shape Phase 3 than anyone else (including Feige), since they had the 3 keys movies that had to move the main plot - Civil War, Infinity War, and Endgame (and Winter Soldier before that set up some Phase 2 and Phase 3)...and interestingly, by giving them all 3 big Phase 3 movies, you didn't have all the other Phase 3 movie creative people needing to pay attention to all the plots and continuities of the other movies to make sure it made sense.  The Russos could just tell others what "snippet" needed to be in their movies or post-screens and the directors themselves could then make their own self-contained movies, not worrying if they were getting things "right" or "in tone."

Edit to add: And the fact they were producers on Everything Everywhere All At Once, which folks have said gets the multiverse better than Marvel...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

because it’ll be the latest one. If it’s good and people really like it then there’ll be good will towards the next MCU film. 

Whilst I don’t disagree in the slightest that the MCU is more hit and miss than it’s ever been, I see writing it’s obituary as madness at this point.  

I’m also getting really tired of the ‘Feige hasn’t been as involved as he used to be’ excuse as to the reason for the hit and miss ratio. The guy was central to Dark World, Iron Man 2, Ultron. They were the early days. It’s such rose-tinted glasses. 

They have never been consistently great, and as others have pointed out…many of them wildly overrated.

Ultron while a step down still was generally well received. It  got a A CS score and 75% score which is ok. That movie was generally well received it just was a step down from the first one. Marvel movies were on a great run in Phase 3 and yes Phase 1-3 had some duds, but most of them were generally good. Now we have movies consistently getting B or B+. Feige is def being spread thin. That doesn´t mean that every movie going forward is going to be perfect if they correct that. But there´s a difference to a Thor Dark world here and there to the movies being consistently being of that quality. They made 18 projects for 2021-22.  From 2016-2019 they made 11. 7 more projects in half the time. If they had made roughly the same amount over the same time period then I doubt it would have gotten so bad.

Agree about the first two points

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cedec0 said:

A lot of people attribute MCU's success directly to Feige as a creative (the architect overseeing everything).  The 'strongest' comment reveals that he was more a manager and someone else was the architect.  The architect is gone now, and feige just doesn't have the skills to direct the MCU on his own.

This logic is mindblowing

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

Ultron while a step down still was generally well received. It  got a A CS score and 75% score which is ok. That movie was generally well received it just was a step down from the first one. Marvel movies were on a great run in Phase 3 and yes Phase 1-3 had some duds, but most of them were generally good. Now we have movies consistently getting B or B+. Feige is def being spread thin. That doesn´t mean that every movie going forward is going to be perfect if they correct that. But there´s a difference to a Thor Dark world here and there to the movies being consistently being of that quality. They made 18 projects for 2021-22.  From 2016-2019 they made 11. 7 more projects in half the time. If they had made roughly the same amount over the same time period then I doubt it would have gotten so bad.

Agree about the first two points

Issue was Ultron was not worth the hype to fans and just seen as a setup to bigger things.

I think in retrospect Ultron is not as bad as you appreciate what it builds up to but still 

• Like 1

I’m pretty confident that even if Phase 5 is gonna suck like 4 then Phase 6 will make people excited again. In 2025 F4 and Spidey 4 will pave the way to an overall excitement for the next Avengers films. Endgame won’t ever be topped I think, because it was built under extremely strong and successful stories thanks to the Russos, but they will still make some really good money going forward.

Edited by Mr Roark

5 minutes ago, Mr Roark said:

I’m pretty confident that even if Phase 5 is gonna suck like 4 then Phase 6 will make people excited again. In 2025 F4 and Spidey 4 will pave the way to an overall excitement for the next Avengers films. Endgame won’t ever be topped I think, because it was built under extremely strong and successful stories thanks to the Russos, but they will still make some really good money going forward.

Infinity War/Endgame was definitely a peak. But they were almost perfect comic book films. Not every movie is going to live up to those. MCU will continue to do just fine, even if it never reaches those peaks again. There is so much coming up that will bring people back again and again; Deadpool/Wolverine joining the MCU, last solo Guardians film with Gunn, Fantastic Four being introduced, X-Men being introduced, Spidey 4. They will be fine.

3 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

Infinity War/Endgame was definitely a peak. But they were almost perfect comic book films. Not every movie is going to live up to those. MCU will continue to do just fine, even if it never reaches those peaks again. There is so much coming up that will bring people back again and again; Deadpool/Wolverine joining the MCU, last solo Guardians film with Gunn, Fantastic Four being introduced, X-Men being introduced, Spidey 4. They will be fine.

Agreed.

And just in time for Secret Wars they will find a way to bring back at least RDJ…

The problem with Marvel is that they are to silly. There is a reason why Black Panther 1 and 2 was successfully embraced by audience and the awards industry. You can tell a heartfelt story with great acting and still be fun. Hopefully they let coogler do Secrets Wars.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Lmao

I love Infinity War and Into the Spider-verse. And they were essentially comics come to life.

It comes down to execution. The last thing we need is for Hollywood to make every CBM grounded again.

Infinity War was still grounded.

I mean in Infinity War, Infinity Stones were the greatest power in Universe and if you remember the origins of Infinity Stones was Big Bang, worka perfectly in balancing the Comics and Cinematic sensibilities. 

Now fast forward, Infinity Stones doesn't even matters because now we have beings that have killed Avengers in multiple realities. Avengers that can kill multiple realities. Infinity Stones themselves being used as Paperweights and I'm sure there's more coming, even bigger in next saga.

3 hours ago, Firepower said:

I don't get those Guardians 3 1 bln predictions. I still remember people expected Guardians 2 to gross a billion, but it didn't even cross 900 mln. So why should Guardians 3 suddenly make a billion during much worse times, dead China and big genre/franchise decline? It needs to be better than its genre to pull this off and I don't think it will be, a good time at movies, maybe even really good time, but that's not enough to jump higher than its head and I don't see a huge public interest in it looking at trailers' stats.

Honestly even Black Panther: Wakanda Forever couldn't hit 1bn; I doubt Guardians 3 can.

Even Guardians 2 - worldwide - didn't really increase that much from the first one.