GOGODanca

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania — Weekend Thread | 105.5M 3-Day, 120M 4-Day

Good number for Ant Man even if I still have reservations about the MCU's future beyond the high floor it clearly has. I think it really benefited from no major releases since the holiday season, and on a long weekend no less. I have always said Ant Man would be my off ramp from these movies and even I might trick myself into seeing it the next two days because I have a long weekend with no football to occupy me and a need to see a movie in theaters. Empty market of blockbusters + no football + no weather events is a perfect storm for a big movie to break out over this weekend, and Ant Man took advantage. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KJsooner said:

Marvel haters can stay quiet now. 🤫 

Lol we wish. Unfortunately it's a grift business for some where they actually earn money through YT clicks for their various craptacular videos with unflattering thumbnails of Brie Larson

I really hope The Marvels has a pretty decent BO performance just to stick it to them. If they can't even substantially hurt Captain Marvel after years of viciously targeting Larson then it would seal the deal on how irrelevant they truly are.

• Like 6

The rest of the box office: 2nd place is still Avatar 2 with an estimated $6.3M 3-day after a $2.7M Saturday (+104% over Friday). The 4-day is $7.8M with a running total of $658.7M. 3rd is Universal/DreamWorks Animation’s Oscar nominated Puss in Boots: The Last Wish with a $2.2M Saturday (+82%) and a 3-day of $5.2M, 4-day estimate of $6.8M and a running total of $167.6M in weekend nine. Warners Bros.’ Magic Mike’s Last Dance is fourth with a $2.1M (+27%) Saturday, $5M second weekend (-40%), 4 day of $5.75M and running total of $18.2M. Fifth belongs to Uni’s Knock at the Cabin with a third Saturday of $1.65M (+63%), 3-day of $3.8M (-30%), 4-day of $4.4M and running total by EOD Monday of $30.8M.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Lol we wish. Unfortunately it's a grift business for some where they actually earn money through YT clicks for their various craptacular videos with unflattering thumbnails of Brie Larson

I really hope The Marvels has a pretty decent BO performance just to stick it to them. If they can't even substantially hurt Captain Marvel after years of viciously targeting Larson then it would seal the deal on how irrelevant they truly are.

Yeah, I'm not even a Marvel fan but will root for The Marvels just for that reason.

3 hours ago, Eric the Conqueror said:

Guardians 3 (and Deadpool 3 and I guess Fantastic Four?) feels like the only MCU movie that will be unaffected by any Marvel fatigue IMO. The ads and trailers have done well in setting this up as an event, they've done well with keeping the characters alive but not super oversaturated where you still kind of miss them, and Daddy Gunn I Trust in delivering some fun and emotional stuff. Good luck to everything else though lol

Just before watching ATWOW with the whole family, in December, we've all seen the GOTG3 trailer on the big screen for the first time. The jokes are so childish and naive that I felt somehow embarrassed by the fact that I, a guy of almost 25 years, am the MCU fan in the family. Everyone said the same thing, the movie seems to be made for small children, and the overall reaction in the cinema hall was rather a collective cringe.

• Like 1

Talk of haters is embarrassing. People discussing the top pop culture franchise should not be surprising.

Anyway next weekend could be super interesting. If it has a soft drop then it's clear Marvel can keep people with the promise of the overall arc in the MCU regardless of quality.

• Like 3

That's a solid number in a vacuum. Clearly continues to show how big a draw the MCU brand is on release. The next couple of weeks will of course tell the story. If it barely manages a 2x multiplier, then talk of crisis can -and I am sure WILL - continue here. If it finishes above 250 (which I still think it might), then it's yet another middle-of-the-road result that is more than sufficient to keep the MCU going until their next expect big hit (GOTG3). 

7 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

Doesnt bad reviews and bad wom have little effect on OW, especially for a fanboy film like this, unless the reviews and wom are absolutely terrible?.

I mean next weekend will give a better picture of where this is going, hell even the weekdays next week will.

There is an effect even for OW, as word travels too fast these days, it’s just more difficult to gauge because we don’t have a baseline, have to guesstimate what would/could have happened otherwise via comps. For example, MoM had a weaker Sat increase and then one of (if not the?) worst Sat/Sun drops for a May MCU release 

But I’m getting the sense the more causal audience had lower expectations here, so the 50% RT/B CS are having less of an effect on WOM than on the more hyped MoM and Thor. Or are just so starved for action content that below average WOM/reviews isn’t as much of a turn-off