GOGODanca

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania — Weekend Thread | 105.5M 3-Day, 120M 4-Day

Way of Water has officially become the third film to cross the $2 billion mark without China. 

For those curious (given the lack of consistency in films receiving China releases, etc):

Top Films WW-China (Original Runs)

1. Avatar (2009) — 2.54 billion
  2. Avengers: Endgame (2018) — 2.17 billion
  3. Avatar: The Way of Water (2022) — 2.003 billion (as of Feb 20)
  4. Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015) — 1.94 billion
  5. Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021) — 1.91 billion
  6. Titanic (1997)  1.80 billion
  7. Avengers: Infinity War (2018) — 1.69 billion
  8. The Lion King (2019) — 1.54 billion
  9. Top Gun: Maverick (2022) — 1.49 billion
  10. Jurassic World (2015) — 1.44 billion

It does demonstrate just how difficult it is to cross $2 billion worldwide, without China. 

Inflation will help moving forward. Curious to see how many we'll see crossing the $2 billion mark in the coming years (with or without China). Do any of the remaining Avatar films manage to do it? Will the next Avengers films manage to do it? Will anything unexpected manage to do it? 

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 5
  • Heart 1

18 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

I know the expectation right now is a drop in the mid 60s next weekend give or take, given both the poor audience metrics and the front loaded nature of Marvel films this past year, but, the daily drops from Saturday for Antman are 24% and 45% , which is not far off from Uncharted with 24% and 41% on the same weekend from last year. Uncharted managed a 48% second weekend drop.

Now, Antman won't have a drop that low, but, it's holding decently throughout the weekend. I think a target of a 60% may be feasible. By virtue of having a lower opening weekend than some of the other big Marvel films, it may have not burned through as much up front demand.

16 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

Way of Water has officially become the third film to cross the $2 billion mark without China. 

For those curious (given the lack of consistency in films receiving China releases, etc):

It does demonstrate just how difficult it is to cross $2 billion worldwide, without China. 

Inflation will help moving forward. Curious to see how many we'll see crossing the $2 billion mark in the coming years (with or without China). Do any of the remaining Avatar films manage to do it? Will the next Avengers films manage to do it? Will anything unexpected manage to do it? 

Peace,

Mike

I edited this a couple times, as I messed up my Titanic numbers. The only China numbers I can find on BOM indicate the $145M Titanic made in its 2012 re-release. My best source I can find indicates that Titanic made $42.3M in China in its original run in 1997/98, meaning that it made about $1.80 billion in its original run minus China. That said, I'm not sure if that's completely up to date - so if anyone knows better, please feel free to correct me.

Peace,

Mike

1 hour ago, MikeQ said:

Peace,

Mike

So AWOW is going to pass Endgame w/o China. Just 14M Difference, should happen by the end of this week.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

So AWOW is going to pass Endgame w/o China. Just 14M Difference, should happen by the end of this week.

It's actually about $170M difference (it's hard to read those numbers because I put them in billions). Way of Water won't pass Endgame.

Peace,

Mike

7 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

There’s almost a 170M difference. 120M if we cut Russia as well.

Edited by Mr Roark

1 hour ago, MikeQ said:

I edited this a couple times, as I messed up my Titanic numbers. The only China numbers I can find on BOM indicate the $145M Titanic made in its 2012 re-release. My best source I can find indicates that Titanic made $42.3M in China in its original run in 1997/98, meaning that it made about $1.80 billion in its original run minus China. That said, I'm not sure if that's completely up to date - so if anyone knows better, please feel free to correct me.

Peace,

Mike

I think these two numbers from China are correct, so 145 + 42= 187 
So Titanic was the  3rd movie to get 2 B without China, and A2 is the 4th. 

Even though, as Mr. Roark said, and i´m agree with this, the first run of 1,8 B is not totally correct and it got more than this.
I had some discussion with Charlie about the all time number of admissions between AEG and Titanic, he says that AEG has more than Titanic in their first run, but by my estimations, Titanic is way ahead from all the movies recorded since the 80 ´s.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MikeQ said:

Peace,

Mike

avatar seems to be destroying nwh in europe and it's even beating it in a good amount of latin american countries, where is NWH running up the score to make it so the deficit only 100 million

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

5 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

It's pretty wild how close it is getting to 700m. I never expected A2 to be that leggy, was expecting it to be the typical frontloaded sequel.

But TGM's insane summer weekdays are also fantastic, and the reason it keeps the 2022 DOM crown.

Insane summer weekdays?
Was an insane run from the first to its last day.
The second leggiest movie in history even between movies from 70 M opening. From a wide release, is the second most spectacular run in the last 25 years, only behind, of course, Avatar.

7 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

avatar seems to be destroying nwh in europe and it's even beating it in a good amount of latin american countries, where is NWH running up the score to make it so the deficit only 100 million

DOM will be $110-$120M more...it made $804M here...

14 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

Russia (which Avatar did not have) and domestic mostly. Mexico to a lesser extent too...

1 hour ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

UK, USA and Russia

4 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

I just googled the director, Nia Dacosta, and she has directed 2 movies previously. Both bombed and audiences didn't like them.

Has the MCU got cocky?

In what universe Did Candyman bomb. If anything the critical ratings for Candyman and Little woods is very encouraging for Nia as a director quality

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nikostar said:

In what universe Did Candyman bomb. If anything the critical ratings for Candyman and Little woods is very encouraging for Nia as a director quality

I would not say 77m WW as a huge hit. OS gross wouldn't have even covered release costs !!! Plus it was a wide release and that carries marketing costs. Plus below is a concern. Both movies had mixed user ratings.  does not look like she can make crowd pleasers which is critical for MCU movie

qgzKYu.jpg

Edited by keysersoze123
  • Like 1