kayumanggi

THE BOOK OF CLARENCE | 01.12.2024 | Sony | current gross: $6,096,168

Inspired by classic Hollywood epics set in biblical times, Legendary’s The Book of Clarence tells the tale of Clarence (LaKeith Stanfield), a down-on-his-luck denizen of Jerusalem embarking on a misguided attempt to capitalize on the rise of celebrity and influence of the Messiah for his own personal gain. It’s a journey that leads him on an exploration of the idea of faith and to an unexpected path of his own. We hear the movie isn’t a faith-based one.

Stanfield, the pic stars Omar Sy, RJ Cyler, Benedict Cumberbatch, James McAvoy, Anna Diop, Teyana Taylor, David Oyelowo, Alfre Woodard and Marianne Jean-Baptiste. The  cast also includes Caleb McLaughlin, Babs Olusanmokun, Eric Kofi-Abrefa, Nicholas Pinnock, Micheal Ward, Chase Dillon, Tom Glynn-Carney and Tom Vaughan-Lawlor.

https://deadline.com/2023/03/the-book-of-clarence-sony-jeymes-samuel-movie-benedict-cumberbatch-1235277513/

• Like 1

Got to watch this last night. It was AMC's Unseen (Mystery Movie). 

I honestly don't know what audience this is for. It's not a bad film but I feel like it doesn't go far enough to be a true parody to really get the general audience, while not being enough to really get in the faith based audience. 

Edited by MovieGuyKyle17
  • Like 1

On 1/4/2024 at 5:29 PM, MovieGuyKyle17 said:

Got to watch this last night. It was AMC's Unseen (Mystery Movie). 

I honestly don't know what audience this is for. It's not a bad film but I feel like it doesn't go far enough to be a true parody to really get the general audience, while not being enough to really get in the faith based audience. 

what exactly is it a parody of? Passion of Christ?

I'll say this a bunch over the next week, but it's so obvious Sony has no idea how to market this. They're not even trying. And it has pretty good reviews thus far, tho i suspect it to drop but remain fresh on RT. It probably cost at least $30m. Huge floppage incoming.

On 1/9/2024 at 3:12 PM, filmlover said:

This is coming for small numbers between the nonexistent marketing and biblical satires being tough sells to begin with.

Yeah, invidious comparasions with Monty Python's Life of Brian" are going to be really common.

This was a pretty good watch and Lakeith Stanfield was great as always. The movie definitely has limited niche appeal though since non black audiences and religious black audiences would be turned off just from the trailer.

On 1/16/2024 at 8:12 PM, eddyxx said:

This was a pretty good watch and Lakeith Stanfield was great as always. The movie definitely has limited niche appeal though since non black audiences and religious black audiences would be turned off just from the trailer.

A damn shame Sony let this die. Saw it today and loved it. If I was the head of a Hollywood studio id give Samuel a blank cheque for him to create a franchise. His style is very crisp and underrated 

THE BOOK OF CLARENCE

January 12, 2024

Sony

weekend (drop) | total

weekend 01: $2,557,027 / $2,557,027

weekend 02: $1,101,433 -56.9% / $4,673,982

weekend 03: $425,479 -61.4% / $5,548,617

weekend 04: $213,015 -49.9% / $5,925,367

CURRENT GROSS: $5,988,513

Edited by kayumanggi

On 1/16/2024 at 5:12 PM, eddyxx said:

It's not bad, but, frankly, Money Python's Life of Bryon did the same basic idea much better..and was funnier.