Poseidon

The curious case of the lost Family Movie

52 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The Little Mermaid/Spider-Man/Elemental/Ruby Gillman pileup over a 6 week span is definitely because studios want those summer weekdays when kids have extended off time from school. The former two are certain to play much more broadly than the others as obvious 4-quad blockbusters, so it doesn't seem impossible that all of these can co-exist just fine, though there's also Transformers/The Flash/Indiana Jones in the equation as PG-13 tentpoles that will be aiming for some family dollars as well. It still remains crazy to me just how crowded this summer is while September and October remain largely barren-looking, and I doubt anything moves at this point since their marketing campaigns seem locked in.

I feel Gillman would've thrived in a mid September spot and had time to build a strong marketing campaign.

This whole "let's give kids absolutely nothing, then crowd everything in the summer" strategy Hollywood is doing post-COVID is so unbelievably stupid. Like my theater was playing Trolls 3 up until this weekend, because there was nothing for families that already saw Wonka and Migration to go to. It's so stupid.

• Like 1

Netflix deserves a lot of the blame for this with their infiltration of the kids entertainment market coupled with their pathological aversion to movie theaters. Orion and the Dark could've been a solid enough family holdover releasing in early February. Also mind-bogglingly idiotic unforced error on Neon's part not taking advantage of Robot Dreams' Oscar buzz.

March had been looking pretty stacked a year ago, sadly both Elio and Spiderverse flew the coop. January does look like it'll have more going for it next year though with Paddington and Dogman.

Edited by AniNate

8 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Netflix deserves a lot of the blame for this with their infiltration of the kids entertainment market coupled with their pathological aversion to movie theaters. Orion and the Dark could've been a solid enough family holdover releasing in early February. Also mind-bogglingly idiotic unforced error on Neon's part not taking advantage of Robot Dreams' Oscar buzz.

March had been looking pretty stacked a year ago, sadly both Elio and Spiderverse flew the coop. January does look like it'll have more going for it next year though with Paddington and Dogman.

Netflix is Netflix. The blame is primarily on Disney. Yes there was a pandemic but Luca and Turning Red did not have to be streaming exclusives.

I mean, they're the only ones who tried to liven up the winter slate at all. Not Disney's fault no one else wants to release their movies in theaters now.

You can blame them for Elio I guess but there were evidently extraordinary circumstances of some sort involved in that decision.

Edited by AniNate

Maybe movies aimed strictly at kids with little to appeal to adults are simply not good box  office?

Someone said Gillman would have done well in September. If it was the same film that was released, it still would have bombed.

On 3/1/2024 at 9:17 AM, AniNate said:

Netflix wants to stick to what it is sucessful at, and not get spend heavily in an area is is not really famaliar with.

You have to understand how expensive it is to get a movie into theaters. Tens of mIllions of dollars if you do it at a minimum level.

No, they clearly can afford it at this point. One way or another they're gonna have to move in that direction if they still want their movies to get awards attention with these new qualifying rules, though doesn't look like they're gonna even bother giving Orion and the Dark a chance.

Edited by AniNate

Curiously, most of the few family films that have opened after 2021 have been quite succesful.

Super Mario Bros

Across the Spider-verse

Minions 2

The Little Mermaid

Wonka

Puss in Boots

Sonic 2

Sing 2

Elemental

TMNT

Migration
Trolls 3

The bad guys

Super-Pets

Even minor films had solid runs, like Boy and the Heron, Paw Patrol or Lyle, Lyle Crocodyle.

The only clear underperformers are Wish, Ruby Gillman, Lightyear, Strange World and Paws of Fury.

In the end, 13 films clearly directed to families have grossed 100M+ since 2022, and 5 of them over 200M. That's very good!

30 minutes ago, stripe said:

Curiously, most of the few family films that have opened after 2021 have been quite succesful.

Super Mario Bros

Across the Spider-verse

Minions 2

The Little Mermaid

Wonka

Puss in Boots

Sonic 2

Sing 2

Elemental

TMNT

Migration
Trolls 3

The bad guys

Super-Pets

Even minor films had solid runs, like Boy and the Heron, Paw Patrol or Lyle, Lyle Crocodyle.

The only clear underperformers are Wish, Ruby Gillman, Lightyear, Strange World and Paws of Fury.

In the end, 13 films clearly directed to families have grossed 100M+ since 2022, and 5 of them over 200M. That's very good!

I mean it's not that curious, low supply vs high demand. It's curious that Hollywood aren't releasing more kids movies.

13 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

I mean it's not that curious, low supply vs high demand. It's curious that Hollywood aren't releasing more kids movies.

As you say, it's curious, because the demand is clearly there, but still schedule have been almost void of kids movies for months.
At least, this will change soon. Until the end of 2024 we have If, Garfield, Inside Out 2, Despicable me 4, Robot Dreams, Harold and the purple crayon, Transformers One, The Wild Robot, Moana, Mufasa and Sonic3.

Yeah, it does look like a pretty consistent slate after IF, although we did think this month looked stacked a year ago so we'll have to see. Bit of a gap after Wild Robot but I'm not gonna complain about that.

Edited by AniNate