CJohn

Friday Numbers (THG: 6.5M; T3S: 5.6M; CitW: 5.5M)

I'll let ROTK's legacy compared to the other's speak for itself. I'm obviously in the majority thinking it's the best. Won all the oscars, best box office performance, best reviews, best placement on IMDB's top 250, etc.

That`s all fine and dandy but if you check out many comments you`ll see that FOTR gained and ROTK lost a lot of heat. Also, many bloggers noticed that it didn`t make a good showing in Best of the decade lists. So overrated for sure. And I don`t take either IMDB or oscars as a standard of greatness. They awarded it as a token of awarding the whole trilogy. You really didn`t expect them to award each movie did you? So it wasn`t really just for ROTK.However, i`m so glad you mentioned boxoffice performence casue that sure proves that TF3 is a better movie. :P Edited by fishnets

FOTR: post-Shire to Rivendell, it's a fairly generic fantasy piece that only bears a passing resemblance to LOTR. Some of Jackson's worst work in the trilogy is in this section (somewhat understandable since these scenes were some of the earlier filmed). Post-Rivendell is generally great, and the SE also improves the film a good deal.TTT: both expands and condenses the story in great style, while adding wonderful touches that are truly Tolkienesque even though they're complete extrapolations that never appeared in the book. Downsides are the inevitable fact that there's no truly complete beginning or conclusion (although the way Jackson decided to start the movie is a stroke of genius), and the Ent subplot generally goes nowhere because Jackson simultaneously tried to be faithful yet changed enough that the Ents don't really have much to do until the end. Bonus points for the great 20+ minute Helm's Deep battle. The added scenes in the SE both add and subtract from the movie overall; it's a bit of a mixed bag.ROTK: you can see Jackson growing more confident throughout the movies and ROTK is when he really goes all out. Again, Jackson starts off with a great and unexpected way, and builds steadily to a truly amazing section involving great scope and scale while retaining moments of surprising intimacy. Jackson also did a good bit of streamlining and omitting to allow the big battle scenes to flourish without becoming redundant, and the grand conclusion is pulled off really well. The ending takes its time, but it's also appropriate because we're concluding not just one 3-hr movie but an 11-hr saga. And he still manages to give a sense of loss and disruption that the hobbits felt, while removing a huge section from the end of the book. Downsides are some of Jackson's sillier and more over-the-top moments, and that there's so much thrown into the SE that it feels really hit-and-miss. Despite the fact I really like a couple of the scenes in the SE, overall I think the theatrical version is better.We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

Return of the King seems to be extremely disliked on this site, but of course this doesn't translate into the real world

Exactly. I hate when you get a certain opinion on a message board and people start projecting that that's the opinion of the general public. ROTK is still by far the favorite in the general public's eyes, irregardless of its reputation here. Edited by MovieMan89

Return of the King seems to be extremely disliked on this site

No, it's just that the people who criticize it are extremely vocal about it. If you went by sheer post count, you'd find that a sizeable number of posts in the Avengers and TDKR threads are critical of their prospects, but a closer examination would reveal that 2 posters account for almost all of them.

^Still doesn't explain why out of half a million+ votes from people ROTK still ranks 6 spots higher on IMDB a full ten years later when people have had plenty of time for hindsight and to take each movie individually.

It isn`t 6 spots higher. It has 8.8 rating and FOTR has 8.7 rating. There is bunch of movies with the same rating that aren`t tie which they should be but are ranked for who knows what reason. 8.8 and 8.7 isn`t much of a difference. Inception is also 8.8.

No, it's just that the people who criticize it are extremely vocal about it. If you went by sheer post count, you'd find that a sizeable number of posts in the Avengers and TDKR threads are critical of their prospects, but a closer examination would reveal that 2 posters account for almost all of them.

Same goes for defenders.

It isn`t 6 spots higher. It has 8.8 rating and FOTR has 8.7 rating. There is bunch of movies with the same rating that aren`t tie which they should be but are ranked for who knows what reason. 8.8 and 8.7 isn`t much of a difference. Inception is also 8.8.

They're ranked because they're not tied. IMDB just shows a rounded rating. They're not gonna show 8.8563257 for ROTK for example.