Issac Newton

Weekend Thread - 3/17-19 | Weekend Est. - Shazam II $30.5M, Scream VI $17.5M, Creed III $15.4M, LXV $5.8M, #AintMan $4.1M

Think a better question than "what went wrong?" is "did anything go right?"

1. The marketing was ineffective and made it appear as if they replaced the innocent charm that people liked about the first movie with more of the same old hollow spectacle.

2. 4 years was too long between installments for a franchise whose pitch is "Big: Superhero Edition" (Jack Dylan Grazer and Asher Angel are both now legally adults).

3. The reviews, once the embargo ended, were mediocre and made it apparent why the studio seemed to give up on the movie.

4. More appealing movies aimed at its particular demos (Dungeons & Dragons, The Super Mario Bros Movie) are right around the corner.

5. The DC brand doesn't seem to have much audience loyalty anymore after a decade of mostly "blah" product with few gems in between, with the cancellation of an already made movie (Batgirl) only reinforcing the notion that this is a brand in shambles.

6. It's no secret the DC Universe itself is on the verge of what seems to be a complete reboot, which is giving their movies this year a "past its sell-by date" vibe already. I think the only thing that can save Aquaman 2 from a similar rough drop at this point is if lightning strikes twice and it somehow catches on as the default event movie for Christmas again.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 6

Part of the reasons Black Adam can open that huge is people don’t know what it is. Could be good could be surprising. But everybody know what Shazam is after the first one. One more time for the same experience? Definitely not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

1. The marketing was ineffective and made it appear as if they replaced the innocent charm that people liked about the first movie with more of the same old hollow spectacle.

2. 4 years was too long between installments for a franchise whose pitch is "Big: Superhero Edition" (Jack Dylan Grazer and Asher Angel are both now legally adults).

3. The reviews, once the embargo ended, were mediocre and made it apparent why the studio seemed to give up on the movie.

4. More appealing movies aimed at its particular demos (Dungeons & Dragons, The Super Mario Bros Movie) are right around the corner.

5. The DC brand doesn't seem to have much audience loyalty anymore after a decade of mostly "blah" product with few gems in between, with the cancellation of an already made movie (Batgirl) only reinforcing the notion that this is a brand in shambles.

6. It's no secret the DC Universe itself is on the verge of what seems to be a complete reboot, which is giving their movies this year a "past its sell-by date" vibe already. I think the only thing that can save Aquaman 2 from a similar rough drop at this point is if lightning strikes twice and it somehow catches on as the default event movie for Christmas again.

+ the likelihood that the Christmas window would have been the much better fit for this as families spending time together would have liked an alternative to A2 (maybe Puss would have suffered in that scenario though)

• Like 1

I thought all along that the first movie benefited greatly from the very high RT score, which has always baffled me since it’s just such a “who cares?” movie. But I think people were curious about a new superhero property, saw that it got some of the best reviews ever in DCEU, and decided to check it out. And then went “oh, that was it?”

Said all along this sequel was doomed, and yeah DCEU being already announced as dead but they’re still rolling them out before the Gunn DCU takes hold isn’t going to remotely help any of these films. Then WB has Miller and Heard controversy to try to wade through with them as well, what a mess. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

I'm not sure if Dungeons and Dragons is much more appealing.. I doubt it gets near 30 mil OW. 

4 minutes ago, Mulder said:

I genuinely think he might've Josh Trank'd himself here. Oof.

There’s….nothing wrong with what he said?

With people like you “oofing” at the previews, then the Friday number, then the cinema score and now comments the director made, I think what he’s said here is reasonable. 

It’ll be a rough weekend for him, with you and other people on the internet enjoying and revelling in his failure. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

There’s….nothing wrong with what he said?

With people like you “oofing” at the previews, then the Friday number, then the cinema score and now comments the director made, I think what he’s said here is reasonable. 

It’ll be a rough weekend for him, with you and other people on the internet enjoying and revelling in his failure. 

Lmao no I like Sandberg, I liked the first Shazam. I just really do not think a studio will see him going "Yeah I don't care, got mine I'm good." and think that's like an acceptable response to a film underperforming financially.

EDIT: Also I don't see the problem with calling a bad number and a bad cinemascore....bad? Like this is the box office thread for the film, not the review thread. Not sure why you're randomly so offended by that.

Edited by Mulder
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Lmao no I like Sandberg, I liked the first Shazam. I just really do not think a studio will see him going "Yeah I don't care, got mine I'm good." and think that's like an acceptable response to a film underperforming financially.

EDIT: Also I don't see the problem with calling a bad number and a bad cinemascore....bad? Like this is the box office thread for the film, not the review thread. Not sure why you're randomly so offended by that.

You’re not just commenting on the box office though. It’s just a bit silly with the picture that you shared and the content of the posts, that’s all. 

Would people rather he tweeted saying that he’s frustrated or upset? What do internet people want him to do lol people can’t win. 

Edited by Krissykins

19 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

You’re not just commenting on the box office though. It’s just a bit ironic with the picture that you shared and the content of the posts. 

that’s all. 

That's not me who posted it. Not sure why so many people get a cowboy and Godzilla confused but me and @John Marston aren't the same. 

EDIT: Also I don't really 'want' him to do anything but it's just pretty known that going online and saying that kind of stuff tends to ruffle the feathers of studio heads. He could've easily just ignored it and not talked about the box office at all instead of implying he saw it flopping coming and that he was fine since he got paid upfront. 

Edited by Mulder

Sandberg's next two movies will be for Netflix so no box office to worry about. Think his career will be fine, maybe like McG when he makes a Netflix movie every 12-15 months plus some pilots. That's a great life, let's be honest here.

• Like 1