cookie

Best Animated Feature 2023

Discuss possible candidates for the Best Animated Feature category of 2023.

Confirmed 2023 films that I believe could have a shot at a nomination, in alphabetical order:

• Chicken Run: Dawn of the Nugget
  • Elemental
  • Ernest & Celestine 2: A Trip to Gibberitia
  • Escape from Hat
  • Little Nicholas – Happy as Can Be
  • Migration
  • The Monkey King
  • Nimona
  • Ruby Gillman, Teenage Kraken
  • Spellbound
  • Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
  • The Super Mario Bros. Movie
  • Suzume
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem
  • Trolls Band Together
  • Wish

International animated films that haven't got a 2023 U.S release confirmed:

• How Do You Live?

In-development animated films without a confirmed 2023 release:

• Fixed
  • Under the Boardwalk
  • Wildwood
Edited by cookie
  • Like 1

Crunchyroll will be handling Suzume's distribution in USA. The track record of this studio in Oscar race is questionable. However, the early release date probably means more people got to see movie before the next Oscar season, a reason I suspect why Your Name, Weathering with You or Belle was left out eventually because not enough voters have seen the film. Personally Suzume is a step-up from Weathering with you, I hope this can be Shinkai's first Oscar nomination.

It is been 4 years since an anime is in Best Animated Feature race. 

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

Crunchyroll will be handling Suzume's distribution in USA. The track record of this studio in Oscar race is questionable. However, the early release date probably means more people got to see movie before the next Oscar season, a reason I suspect why Your Name, Weathering with You or Belle was left out eventually because not enough voters have seen the film. Personally Suzume is a step-up from Weathering with you, I hope this can be Shinkai's first Oscar nomination.

It is been 4 years since an anime is in Best Animated Feature race. 

I don't see the academy nominating more than one japanese film at best, and Miyazaki's "How do you Live?" will definitely get the spot if it comes down to it...if that gets picked up by a good distributor, anyway, otherwise they'll just snub both.

Not that I look forward to seeing them nominated just to lose - Big Hero 6 beating Kaguya is one of the biggest jokes I can remember...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JustLurking said:

I don't see the academy nominating more than one japanese film at best, and Miyazaki's "How do you Live?" will definitely get the spot if it comes down to it...if that gets picked up by a good distributor, anyway, otherwise they'll just snub both.

Not that I look forward to seeing them nominated just to lose - Big Hero 6 beating Kaguya is one of the biggest jokes I can remember...

I seriously think the current nomination process where it allows voters from outside of the animation branch to participate caused some changes in the movies that got nominated.

In early 2010s, there was a boom in independent animated feature and anime in the best animated feature field but they quickly dies down after 2018. Now only the independent animation distributed by Netflix got the chance and GKIDS presence is much muted now. 

As for nomination for anime, How do you live? most likely go to GKIDS for its NA distribution right given the Ghibli brand but they could release the movie only next year thereby making the movie eligible for 2025 Oscar instead of 2024. Similar tactic was used for SA and HLC to avoid competition and taking their time to build awareness. You can say that to Suzume too.  

7 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I seriously think the current nomination process where it allows voters from outside of the animation branch to participate caused some changes in the movies that got nominated.

In early 2010s, there was a boom in independent animated feature and anime in the best animated feature field but they quickly dies down after 2018. Now only the independent animation distributed by Netflix got the chance and GKIDS presence is much muted now. 

As for nomination for anime, How do you live? most likely go to GKIDS for its NA distribution right given the Ghibli brand but they could release the movie only next year thereby making the movie eligible for 2025 Oscar instead of 2024. Similar tactic was used for SA and HLC to avoid competition and taking their time to build awareness. You can say that to Suzume too.  

Frankly speaking if "How do you Live?" misses the year I do not think we're getting an anime nomination at all. The film did not even win in the japanese awards (getting upset by slam dunk) so I really don't see it having the momentum to force a nomination out of the academy which looks down on anime (even in a category they already look down upon which is animation).

Maybe I'll be proven wrong but it just doesn't seem like it has the smash hit reception to make it happen.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

So if Wish is a debacle too, maybe this will be a shutout for Disney in this category?

Would be the first time it happened, right? Not getting a nomination?

Looked it up, Disney shut out once before in 2011 when the Pixar movie was Cars 2 and the WDAS movie was Winnie the Pooh. 

On 5/28/2023 at 9:07 PM, cannastop said:

So if Wish is a debacle too, maybe this will be a shutout for Disney in this category?

Would be the first time it happened, right? Not getting a nomination?

Happened in 2011, neither Cars 2 nor Winnie the Pooh got nominated