cookie

Best Animated Feature 2023

Got the chance of watching Robot Dreams on Thursday, and this is the first time I wathced all the nominees for animated movie prior the ceremony (and the best part is that except for Nimona, I experienced all of them in theatres).

While I didn't love any of the nominees, at the same I didn't dislike any of them.
My ranking would be:
1. Across the Spiderverse
2. Nimona
3. Robot  Dreams
4. Boy and Heron
5. Elemental.

• Like 1

Twitter and I gaslit Ghibli into believing they didn't stand a chance 💀 

Super interesting tho that the Academy aligned with HFPA and BAFTAs on this instead of Annie and PGA. Spider-Verse crew turned up for BAFTAs instead of Annies. Heron crew didn't turn up for Oscars. Most chaotic race ever!

On 3/11/2024 at 10:58 PM, Spidey Freak said:

Twitter and I gaslit Ghibli into believing they didn't stand a chance 💀 

Super interesting tho that the Academy aligned with HFPA and BAFTAs on this instead of Annie and PGA. Spider-Verse crew turned up for BAFTAs instead of Annies. Heron crew didn't turn up for Oscars. Most chaotic race ever!

So my theory kind of proven??

Suzume getting so much love at Annie probably split the vote from Heron, causing spiderverse to dominate but at the Oscar, the anime/handrawn friendly voters all gather and vote for Heron.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

So my theory kind of proven??

Suzume getting so much love at Annie probably split the vote from Heron, causing spiderverse to dominate but at the Oscar, the anime/handrawn friendly voters all gather and vote for Heron.  

Yeah I guess Miyazaki does have clout with Academy voters after all, even if that level of admiration doesn't extend to other Ghibli directors. Guess Howl's and The Wind Rises only lost because Were-Rabbit and Frozen were too influential to be ignored.

HMC coming pretty soon after Spirited Away may have also hurt it.

Edited by Spidey Freak

5 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Guess Howl's and The Wind Rises only lost because Were-Rabbit and Frozen were too influential to be ignored.

I don't know how either of those movies are influential tbh.

21 hours ago, cannastop said:

I don't know how either of those movies are influential tbh.

The Wind Rises was not all that well received. considered one of his weaker films.

Howl is a different story.

But is it fun on several websites to see the Spiderverse fans trash this movie....and it is painfully clear a lot of them have not even seen it.

I wouldn't say Wind Rises was weakly received but Frozen was just such an all-encompassing phenomenon that the Academy couldn't ignore it, so yeah, I'd say that was a case where it was too influential. Also Wind Rises didn't get a US public exhibition until it had already been nominated, so it had no chance of gaining anywhere near the same level of support. 

In Howl's case W&G just plain got better reviews, and also had a solid US theater performance relative to its budget. I had always thought Spiderverse ending on a cliffhanger would be a handicap here and still believe it was.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 2