grim22

BOT Top 25 movies of 2022 | The forum hits the Danger Zone

Would have been nice in what might have been one of the few possible years where there was a chance of getting one or two more legitimate non-blockbusters in the Top 5, and I say that as someone who liked The Batman and Top Gun and is okay with Avatar 2.

Nevertheless not bad at all, really. Blockbusters dominating the top of the list is to be expected and at least this year they were largely good ones and certainly all better than the ludicrously overpraised No Way Home was last year. 

I could moan that the likes of Decision to Leave, Northman and Aftersun should all have been much higher but really that they made a list like this at all is very impressive. 

On 3/31/2023 at 4:02 AM, Ethan Hunt said:

I expect Batman will show up stil

Ah yeah I had forgotten about that

17 hours ago, grim22 said:

No connected universe CBMs on the list for the first time ever. No MCU, DCEU, Sony, X-Men or otherwise. The only CBM was a standalone in The Batman.

At least I was half right

19 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Crimes of the Future being in the top 35 is a… choice lol. 

I think in 10-20 years time we might see Crimes of the Future as an obvious Top 5 film of the year in the way that Under the Skin wasn't on the 2013 list when it was first made as it was received with muted curiosity but is now widely considered - at least in critic circles - to be a clear film of the year. 

I'd still pick Aftersun and Banshees over it. But I don't see any film being more important and more earnest in its attempt to explore the world. Sometimes it feels like true sci-fi is a deeply dwindling art.

2 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

I think in 10-20 years time we might see Crimes of the Future as an obvious Top 5 film of the year in the way that Under the Skin wasn't on the 2013 list when it was first made as it was received with muted curiosity but is now widely considered - at least in critic circles - to be a clear film of the year. 

I'd still pick Aftersun and Banshees over it. But I don't see any film being more important and more earnest in its attempt to explore the world. Sometimes it feels like true sci-fi is a deeply dwindling art.

I love Under The Skin, but found Crimes of the Future boring and almost hammy. Each to their own of course. Glad you enjoyed it. 

9 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

in the way that Under the Skin wasn't on the 2013 list when it was first made

The main reason Under the Skin wasn't on the 2013 list is because it wasn't released until 2014.

• Astonished 1