The Wild Eric

THE SUPER MARIO BROS MOVIE WEEKEND THREAD

36 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I think The Numbers has Mario's actuals now unless they're just revised estimates?

https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Super-Mario-Bros-Movie-The-(2022)#tab=box-office

I dont think they have updated with actuals. We will get daily breakdown soon. But Gitesh did say overall weekend was lower. 

Edit: May be they are the actuals. Sat number does not end with a zero. 

Edited by keysersoze123
  • Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

23 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Mario monday is looking really strong. Should have really good drop today. 

that consistent with what you said in the morning about 450?

16 hours ago, Brainbug said:

I see your point, but i also woundt count out younger people beeing excited for this movie. Indiana Jones as a character and franchise is still a big part of modern pop culture and seeing your first Indy movie in theaters may proof to be very enticing for people who were too young for Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

However, that is all speculation from my side, mixed in with some hope. Its entirely possible that the film fails to connect with a 4-quadrant-audience and has to settle in the 300M range instead of the 500M+ one. But i do feel like if there is 1 movie on the 2023 slate that has a not-impossible chance at catching Mario, it would have to be Indy.

I have seen little evidence Gen Z cares about Indy whatsoever based on metrics like social media or internet chatter, and I think Crystal Skull kinda played the whole “nostalgia” card with Indy with every other gen already. And the fact it wasn’t well liked doesn’t bode well all these years later imo.

I think Indy 5 is a big uphill battle wherein if the WOM explodes, then maybe it can dig its way out of a 200s DOM fate. 

• Like 1

Also, based on every audience score metric we have and Mario being animated with an entire month on the cal all to itself, I see absolutely no way it misses a 3x 5 day multi. Anyone who thinks that’s unlikely isn’t paying attention at all to how these massive openers that get aces on audience reception metrics always perform.

And again, that’s before we even factor in that month of no comp, they really hit the ultimate jackpot. Won’t give a ceiling except to say I need to see next weekend before I rule out 700 yet. 

7 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Also, based on every audience score metric we have and Mario being animated with an entire month on the cal all to itself, I see absolutely no way it misses a 3x 5 day multi. Anyone who thinks that’s unlikely isn’t paying attention at all to how these massive openers that get aces on audience reception metrics always perform.

Every massive opener with good audience reception had a 3x multiplier? And how many of them were 5 days x 3?

13 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

And again, that’s before we even factor in that month of no comp, they really hit the ultimate jackpot. Won’t give a ceiling except to say I need to see next weekend before I rule out 700 yet. 

mario might be an animated movie, but does it have animated movie demos? that's where the legs come from

17 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Also, based on every aeudience score metric we have and Mario being animated with an entire month on the cal all to itself, I see absolutely no way it misses a 3x 5 day multi. Anyone who thinks that’s unlikely isn’t paying attention at all to how these massive openers that get aces on audience reception metrics always perform.

Wasn't Rise Of Gru super well received with an A CinemaScore, etc.? It had summer days and didn't get anywhere close to a 3 multi from it's opening 5 days... Think it was 2.6 multi of it's first 5 days or something like that... 

• Like 3