The Wild Eric

THE SUPER MARIO BROS MOVIE WEEKEND THREAD

1 minute ago, spizzer said:

For this weekend I agree, DL pulled $59M out of their ass

I know what they saw & thought, normally it would have worked, but it was a bad call for this kind of mid-week release. When I saw the numbers in the morning, I thought it would be around $53M but wasn't completely sure.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DAJK said:

Sadly not enough of the OGs left to remember that :lol:

For context for our newer members, there was a Marvel fan who was very upset that JW was out grossing AoU in the summer of 2015, and they would come up with the most deadline-y-est of deadline maths to PROVE unequivocally that JW was going under AoU. Their evidence?

”Jurassic World is crumbling.”

Nothing could ever top the Jurassic World Opening Weekend Thread.

Or Jurassic World for that matter.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, spizzer said:

Oh regarding Empire tweet I was more focusing on his Weekend 2 comments, not current weekend.  

For this weekend I agree, DL pulled $59M out of their ass.  Sat I expect a jump as well, this with its demos + 90 minute runtime should be a matinee monster which means Saturday will be highest attended day easy and IMO enough for a jump from 54M.

Definitely possible. I could see a 5% jump tomorrow to say 57m and good drop on sunday despite Easter. BvS dropped 33%. This could go lower. Say to low 40s. Enough to cross 200m over 5 days. 

Freakin’ Deadline has us disappointed in a 54-55M Friday (and by far the highest non-opening Friday ever lol).

Hoping it can still increase on Saturday? Sonic the Hedgehog 2 did increase 7% on the Saturday before Easter last year for what it’s worth.

• Like 1

This is insane. Loved the movie and glad it's doing so well. Also wanted to give my respects to fellow JPark groupie @Brainbug. Nothing beats Jurassic World. I remember when it first came out. I was 11 years old and it was the night before the last day of school. Thursday night June 11th. Hype was through the roof and I had about seen every trailer and TV spot there was. The entire school was basically in the theater it was insane. Giant crowdpleaser of a movie. Glad Mario is kinda like gen Alpha's version of that

• Like 1
  • Heart 2

Just now, cooldude97 said:

So who thinks this will pass minions as illumination highest grossing film?

Domestic is peace of cake. WW also highly likely unless legs crater internationally. International gross I am not sure. We have to wait for 2nd weekend holds before confirming that. 1st Minions movie grossed more than Billion Yuan in China and exchange rates were lot more favorable back then. if you look at Argentina(title still mentions that), Minions did over 5m admits and that was 35m USD. Now movies are not that big in Argentina.