The Wild Eric

THE SUPER MARIO BROS MOVIE WEEKEND THREAD

17 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

Poor Disney Animation and Pixar. How the mighty have fallen. Behind Dreamsworks and Illumination. I guess that's what happens when you care about inserting messages in your movies than entertaining an audience. Maybe Elemental can be break out hit but I think it might get lost in the shuffle of a very crowded June. Trailers so far haven't been all that appealing for it.

Turning Red and Luca was one of the most streamed movies of their debut years. My dude, every Disney and Pixar from inception has had a message and a blatant one too. There’s a huge difference in quality between Wall-E and Strange World despite booth’s climate change allegories and Wall-E is way more unsubtle about it. The problem is both Strange World and Lightyear were not good and streaming eating into its margins. 3 out of the 4 Pixar movies since Onward went straight to streaming and 3 out of 3 movies after Frozen II had either a very short window for streaming or a hybrid release. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I mean, there are messages in their huge hits too but they're just better movies. No one wanted Lightyear and Strange World... Even if they were good or really good they wouldn't have made much more... That's what hurt those most of all. This comes across as a baiting post. Their biggest issue is likely releasing too many in a row straight to streaming. People really liked Luca and Turning Red. Frozen, Frozen II, Zootopia, Coco, Toy Story 4, etc. are littered with messages and all did extremely well. Apologies if you were just being sarcastic...

I didnt say Disney shouldn't make movies with messages but it shouldn't be your main priority as an entertainment company. It should be about making a product that families will enjoy first. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

Poor Disney Animation and Pixar. How the mighty have fallen. Behind Dreamsworks and Illumination. 

Just responding to this. I love PiB, bits Dreamworks' slate outside of it hasn't exactly been inspired, and this year doesn't look any better.

• Like 1

Just now, Godzilla said:

I didnt say Disney shouldn't make movies with messages but it shouldn't be your main priority as an entertainment company. It should be about making a product that families will enjoy first. 

I fail to see the difference in messaging between the recent output and the majority of Disney stuff 2010-2019 in animation. Can you imagine the scrutiny Zootopia and Coco would face today? But both would still be huge hits.

Quality is a main problem of why both Lightyear and Strange World failed (both failed to take off streaming either) because both were very boring and unimaginative but it had very little to do with the “go woke, go broke” mentality that doesn’t really exist despite a frustrated loud minority. Even on OW, Lightyear did well in the Midwest and red states, but underperformed on the East and West coast. I also think in addition to that when you have mediocre WOM and know that Disney will put it on the plus within 30-45 days that’ll eat at your legs. TLM is very likely to do 300m+ domestically. 

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

4 minutes ago, YM! said:

I fail to see the difference in messaging between the recent output and the majority of Disney stuff 2010-2019 in animation. Can you imagine the scrutiny Zootopia and Coco would face today? But both would still be huge hits.

Quality is a main problem of why both Lightyear and Strange World failed (both failed to take off streaming either) because both were very boring and unimaginative but it had very little to do with the “go woke, go broke” mentality that doesn’t really exist despite a frustrated loud minority. Even on OW, Lightyear did well in the Midwest and red states, but underperformed on the East and West coast. I also think in addition to that when you have mediocre WOM and know that Disney will put it on the plus within 30-45 days that’ll eat at your legs. TLM is very likely to do 300m+ domestically. 

Yeah. This.

Their biggest issue lately has been going straight to streaming or going to streaming on Disney+ not PVOD which rewired the brains of parents... And, yeah, the quality of their latest output (Lightyear, Strange World) hasn't been all that great. If Elemental is very good, even if the box office is a bit down, it'll help start course correcting and rewiring families that they need to go the cinema to see Pixar movies again. Isn't Lightyear the only Pixar movie to go straight to theaters since the pandemic?

• Like 1
  • Heart 3

1 hour ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I don't know... I thought the Creed III, Wick Chapter 4 and, even, Dungeons & Dragons (given expectations before the review were glowing) all opened very well or, at least, well. Of course, not Mario numbers... But, the latest Creed and Wick will be the top grossers in each franchise and all the ones that came prior opened prior to the pandemic when box office was in a healthier state.

Scream 6 too of course ;) with a franchise record. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Yeah. This.

Their biggest issue lately has been going straight to streaming or going to streaming on Disney+ not PVOD which rewired the brains of parents... And, yeah, the quality of their latest output (Lightyear, Strange World) hasn't been all that great. If Elemental is very good, even if the box office is a bit down, it'll help start course correcting and rewiring families that they need to go the cinema to see Pixar movies again. Isn't Lightyear the only Pixar movie to go straight to theaters since the pandemic?

In addition to that: the well-received ones have all done gangbusters on the plus: Encanto, Luca and Turning Red were amongst the most streamed movies in 2021 and 2022. Honestly if both had longer windows or went theatrical with a strong marketing campaign, I think all would’ve gone 100m+, maybe 150-200m+ for some. 

i think Elemental will slightly underperform but I think Wish will be the big hit they want. Big Disney musical reminiscent of the 90s and SpiderVerse animation could be big, just need to really market it hard (ie 3 trailers and massive campaigns). Elio from the Coco co-director/writer Adrian Molina seems like a knockout hit but needs KFP4 to move. IO2 is IO2 and I think the 2024 WDAS is Zootopia 2.