BadOlCatSylvester

April 14th-16th 2023 Weekend Thread | $900K previews for Renfield

11 minutes ago, superduperm said:

If this is accurate, highest-ever 2nd weekend for an animated film is in play.

Mario didn't get a sufficient OW set - whenever a movie gets that cramped, but then holds almost all its PLF and overall showings the 2nd weekend with nothing big opening against it, good things can happen.  See Top Gun Maverick last year...

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

I can think of a few people who are doom mongering. 

That mid June slot has had a Pixar film for quite some time, the minute they move out of summer then they lose it to the competition and it becomes a lot harder to get it back. Likewise with WDAS and November. 

Though I think it’s too late for Elemental to move, and ultimately shouldn’t back down, one can argue they’ve kind of lose it to competition anyways. Studios are now refusing to back down to their spots. We got Flash opening same day as Elemental, both Trolls 3 and KFP4 refusing to move a week from a spot a Disney animation is, Wicked the same day as a untitled Disney Animation and The Fall Guy opening the same day as Elio.

Edited by YM!

4 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

Frozen 2 with $85,977,773

And Frozen 2 had a Black Friday boost (kind of like how Mario had a Good Friday boost last week). And it opened on a Friday while Mario opened on a Wednesday and burned off two extra days of demand.

If Mario pulls off an $86M second weekend, that would be historic on a number of levels. But we need to see where Friday pans out. There’s a massive difference between 20-21 and 22.5.

• Like 2

Speaking of the June 16 date, will Elemental get ANY PLF?  I'm assuming Flash locked up IMAX for the date, but I'l less sure how Dolby and other PLFs set and split...

And speaking of PLFs, will Mario keep almost all of them next weekend, too, b/c my Cinemarks have nothing preset for PLFs for the openers next weekend, so is Mario being given a normal live action enormous blockbuster PLF run?

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Speaking of the June 16 date, will Elemental get ANY PLF?  I'm assuming Flash locked up IMAX for the date, but I'l less sure how Dolby and other PLFs set and split...

And speaking of PLFs, will Mario keep almost all of them next weekend, too, b/c my Cinemarks have nothing preset for PLFs for the openers next weekend, so is Mario being given a normal live action enormous blockbuster PLF run?

I’m thinking some will split. Elemental is seemingly confirmed for Dolby so I think it’ll do morning and Flash afternoon/evening. If some theaters have two PLFs, they’ll each get one. 

Depends on what’s they are expecting to sell sometimes. I can see Mario keeping it from Evil Dead.

31 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

Who holds that currently?

Highest Grossing Animated 2nd Weekends

1. Frozen II $85.98 (Black Friday weekend)
  2. Incredibles 2 $80.35
  3. Finding Dory $72.96
  4. Shrek 2 $72.17
  5. Frozen $67.39 (Black Friday) (forgot week 1 was a limited release)

Toy Story 2, 3 & 4 all check in at $57-$60M, and then then it really clusters starting in lower $50M range. The top 8 all are sequels, with highest original being Inside Out at $52.32, until Mario officially enters the group

Also: the highest grossing opening weekend for any animated film not debuting in Summer (May-July) or week before Thanksgiving is Zootopia at $75.06, and Mario looks to be on pace to top that figure in weekend #2

Edited by M37
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Looking at it, seems like John Wick 4'll finish at right about where 3 finished, maybe a bit behind. Guess it shows that there is indeed a ceiling for Wick.

No summer weekdays, movie length a little too long - reduced repeated viewers, and a lot of adult skewing competition didnt help.

However it is still 20m ahead of the 3rd film, and weekend numbers are similar. 5th weekend hold for the 3rd film is strong, which I think the 4th cant match.

Overseas its a different story though, seem to be outperforming the 3rd film everywhere I checked. I mean there's Donnie Yen in this... so huge appeal here in Asia.

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, M37 said:

Highest Grossing Animated 2nd Weekends

1. Frozen II $85.98 (Black Friday weekend)
  2. Incredibles 2 $80.35
  3. Finding Dory $72.96
  4. Shrek 2 $72.17
  5. Frozen $67.39 (Black Friday)

Toy Story 2, 3 & 4 all check in at $57-$60M, and then then it really clusters starting in lower $50M range. Frozen is - well was - the only non-sequel in top 9, and with the benefit of a holiday weekend

Also: the highest grossing opening weekend for any animated film not opening in Summer (May-July) or week before Thanksgiving is Zootopia at $75.06, and Mario looks to be on pace to top that figure in weekend #2

67.39 was Frozen's opening weekend in wide release. It played in 1 theater the week before.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

To answer you last question, yes, because the business volume and lack of options supports it  being treated that way.  Both Beau is Afraid (4/21) and Ponniyin Selvan: Part Two (4/27) are official IMAX releases and may pick up some additional PLF shows, but neither may be a wide run

I had always expected Disney to push for a one week Avatwo IMAX re-release/last chance for the week before GOTG3, but seems like that isn't in the works.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

67.39 was Frozen's opening weekend in wide release. It played in 1 theater the week before.

You're right, I forgot about that, updated previous post.

53 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Looking at it, seems like John Wick 4'll finish at right about where 3 finished, maybe a bit behind. Guess it shows that there is indeed a ceiling for Wick.

And I think it's a good idea they end it with the 4th.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, M37 said:

To answer you last question, yes, because the business volume and lack of options supports it  being treated that way.  Both Beau is Afraid (4/21) and Ponniyin Selvan: Part Two (4/27) are official IMAX releases and may pick up some additional PLF shows, but neither may be a wide run

I had always expected Disney to push for a one week Avatwo IMAX re-release/last chance for the week before GOTG3, but seems like that isn't in the works.

They're using that spot for a Return of the Jedi rerelease, much more worthy. 

• Like 1