BadOlCatSylvester

April 14th-16th 2023 Weekend Thread | $900K previews for Renfield

2 minutes ago, cookie said:

I'm going to say Mario ends up bordering on $600m by the end of its run, maybe ends up neck and neck with Incredibles 2. Which is still an insane total.

Agreed. With the pace this beast has been having, and without summer days is highly impressive. Though lack of competition or family films since Puss helped. Definitely think animation should have a nice rebound this year with likely 5 movies over 100m+ domestic, and 3 to 4 over 200m+ domestic.

Depending on OS holds, I wonder if topping Lion King is possible.

2 minutes ago, YM! said:

Agreed. With the pace this beast has been having, and without summer days is highly impressive. Though lack of competition or family films since Puss helped. Definitely think animation should have a nice rebound this year with likely 5 movies over 100m+ domestic, and 3 to 4 over 200m+ domestic.

Depending on OS holds, I wonder if topping Lion King is possible.

What. OS numbers are good but they are nowhere near TLK's...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

you'd hope that atleast one of the summer movies would move to a later release date basing on how this weekend went...if atleast one of the big summer releases clicks, the holdovers are gonna struggle in this post-covid world.

To be fair, none of this weekend's openers would've done great no matter where they opened. They might as well had been released in traditional dump periods like January or late August and it wouldn't have made much of a difference for them.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

What. OS numbers are good but they are nowhere near TLK's...

Yeah... I'm a bit confused by these comment too unless they're expecting Mario to do 1.7B WW. Didn't TLK do something like 1.65B+ WW? Seems like people are now expecting something like 1.1B to 1.2B WW for Mario... That a pretty long way from 1.65B+ that TLK posted. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

I mean, I'd kill for an actual deep dive into Mario but not Detective Pikachu (lets not forget how much money those 1999/2000 anime films made at the DBO). How reasonable were ultimately disproven hypotheses and what does Mario and Sonic tell us about all three films/franchises?  

Mario tells us that if you make a movie that actually tries to faithfully represent the game it is adapting (for the most part) it will a bigger success than those that don't.

As well as the Sonic movies have done they would have been even bigger if they were CG animated movies set fully in Sonic's world and had none of that real-world BS.

How apt that it was the rancid Mario Bros. movie from '93 that started Hollywood's obsession with making movies that had little to do with the games they were based on and now 30 years later it is another Mario movie that finally shows them how to do it right.

• Like 2

Mario is likely going to be in the top 5 still by the beginning of June considering how sluggish the schedule appears aside from Guardians/Fast X/Little Mermaid between now and then. Heck, might not be until The Flash/Elemental weekend at the earliest that it leaves the top 10. 

6 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

The Pope’s Exorcist surprising. 

It’s a shame, because Renfield was better. 

Insane for Mario everywhere. 

Planning to see the Crowe exorcise some demons this Tuesday. I did see Renfield on Friday night... It has a few moments but honestly I thought it was a pretty big mess. Wasn't nearly as fun as I hoped. Lotta good talent worked on that project too. Left me pretty flat.