BadOlCatSylvester

April 14th-16th 2023 Weekend Thread | $900K previews for Renfield

6 minutes ago, cooldude97 said:

For me it's less of an "if" but a when Nintendo announces a Zelda, donkey kong, Luigi's mansion, Metroid movie 

I really don't see why Metroid would happen. Nintendo barely even gives it attention on the gaming front. It's going to be Mario sequels and spin offs and maybe Zelda or Animal Crossing. That's it. Pokemon too I suppose.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

One of these movies is not like the others

Personally, I would have gone with Aquaman. That was genuinely great in ScreenX which is the format I watched it in. The trench scene is really great with the creatures all over the walls. And the extended windows are used to good effect for the water effects as well making the water stretch across the theater. 

That CGI Live Aid crowd is gonna look so awesome in 4DX!

Seriously, it's smart of Regal to try appealing to different sorts of crowds with this promotion. I also remember hearing that Disney was being stingy about theaters screening old Fox titles (besides Avatar), so BoRhap's inclusion here is nice to see on that level.

31 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

theres a reason I picked that specific quote and spoke about "belief"

I believe that movies I dont like should have grosses that reflect that, and from that, the ideologically consistent course of action is to downplay all of those movie's box office achievements and be pessimistic about the remainder of their run; reality can wait till after the pvod release

however its really difficult to maintain that attitude after a 90 million 2nd weekend

You think movie grosses should reflect your opinion of them?

I think JFK  is one of the best movies ever made but I'm not gonna stomp my feet cause it didn't make its budget back 

Edited by screambaby

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

March ended up not being that impressive. Creed 3 and Scream 6 did decent but John Wick 4 collapsed after opening and Shazam and D&D ended up being mega bombs

It is exactly cause there were so many films opening that you could argue each / every one of them didnt reach its potential. Each opener loses its PLF screens in its 2nd weekend.

John Wick 4 should have grossed higher than Antman 3 domestically just based on quality alone - but competition, loss of PLF, movie length.. didn't help. 

5 minutes ago, screambaby said:

Can't believe deadline estimated 58 million. Based on how good it's we'd to thu hold was that's a terrible estimate. Gonna be 30 million or more off.

they really expected Super hero legs instead of animated legs

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, screambaby said:

You think movie grosses should reflect your opinion of them?

yes, they "should", that they wont/dont is a different matter 

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

3 minutes ago, cooldude97 said:

they really expected Super hero legs instead of animated legs

so did I , but its not like there were 0 reasons to believe that could be the case (200+ million ow for a property with lots of fans, those OD demos, etc)

41 minutes ago, cooldude97 said:

For me it's less of an "if" but a when Nintendo announces a Zelda, donkey kong, Luigi's mansion, Metroid movie 

metroids not happening unless prime 4 sells 10 million or we're 15 movies deep into the NCU

Looks like Mario will end up at around $560M for a top 15 domestic finish. Insane. 

In retrospect its success makes sense:

• Brand Recognition
  • Nostalgia
  • Cross-generational appeal
  • Creative vision
  • Strong marketing campaign which showcased all of the above
Edited by lilmac
  • Like 1