Eric Atreides

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

3 hours ago, grim22 said:

What even is this intro?

What's the first part of that sentence got to do with the second part, trying to make the reader subconsciously associate the two.

The bootlicking that we are about to witness from the trades as the strike drags on will be a sad spectacle. The thinkpieces about "how the writers are costing other peoples jobs with their stubborn strike" are not that far away either.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

I hope his ass is thrown in Jail, just like any hood.

And that the producer of a gangster TV series would use classic Mafia Intimidation tacitcs, just wrecked my Irony meter.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cannastop said:

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/sag-strike-summer-movies-marketing-1235642983/

Variety sez a SAG strike would make the marketing of movies more difficult.

That was a very straight forward reading until the last 2 paragraphs when it sort of went pro-producer viewpoint on the strikes.

The executive, like many of those on the side of the studios and producers in the current guild faceoffs, is baffled by the idea of a work stoppage. “The union is fighting for wages. A strike is going to hurt box office grosses, which affects actors’ compensation. If I were someone like Margot Robbie, as a producer and star of ‘Barbie,’ I wouldn’t be happy,” they said.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 6/14/2023 at 1:50 PM, Coneilg93 said:

I think every scripted TV show will be impacted. look for shorter seasons in most shows this year.

Sad about the Daredevil Reborn news; I was really looking forward ot that.being a huge fan of the Chris Cox Daredevil (I cheered like crazy when he did that cameo in  Spidey:No Way Home). I know I will still get

it, but don't like the delay.

Edited by dudalb

26 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

This sounds like the move you'd make if you were about to make a deal with writers to share viewership info

Netflix’s “300 million people watched this movie you’ve never heard of” is an marketing gimmick meant to stoke our fear of missing out - nothing more, nothing less. Global viewership figures may as well be the Wild West. There’s no accessible third party to confirm those.

“200m people saw this show”, is far easier to comprehend then “this show was viewed for 400m hours”. I imagine it’ll be a bigger part for the advertising of their content going forward.

Edited by AJG
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

Guessing this is because Marvel doesn't think cast will be available. Don't be surprised to hear more of these in the next few weeks.

Edit: or minutes apparently

Yeah, this strike will continue into next year. You heard it here first. 2024 is going to be such a dry desert.

• ...wtf 1

Just now, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Yeah, this strike will continue into next year. You heard it here first. 2024 is going to be such a dry desert.

My backlog right now is Zelda, FFXVI, Black Mirror, Righteous Gemstones, Platonic, Demon Slayer and a dozen other shows/movies/games. They need to strike into 2025 so I can catch up.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Oh there's almost no chance of that. Even the 2008 strike was only 100 days. SAG joining will make things shorter, not longer. Movies not having press junkets or promotion would be a nightmare. No red carpets, nothing.

Edited by SpiderByte

48 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Oh there's almost no chance of that. Even the 2008 strike was only 100 days. SAG joining will make things shorter, not longer. Movies not having press junkets or promotion would be a nightmare. No red carpets, nothing.

Maybe.  But as a looooooong time veteran of Sports Stoppages (strikes/lockouts) don't underestimate the power of psychology here.  The "Crossing the Rubicon" hardens positions and basically transitions the stage from negotiations to something akin to a war of attrition/wait 'em out "game". 

For instance, I don't think it's exactly a surprise there's been exactly zero (publicly known) negotiations between the WGA and the AMPTP since the strike began.  A decent part of that might be/probably is the AMPTP waiting to see what they get/got out of the DGA/SAG talks before moving back to the WGA.

But I also think a large part of it the AMPTP just trying to wear down/weaken the resolve of the various guilds.  And I can easily see something similar happen if the talks between SAG-AFTRA and the AMPTP break down and SAG actually does strike. 

To put it another way, this situation is all too familiar to me as a sports fan, especially one during the 80s and 90s.