Eric Atreides

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

2 hours ago, poweranimals said:

They can't really generate jobs if there's a strike though. Obviously it would be temporary until they agreed to terms. Seems better than letting Netflix hold the industry hostage.

They will figure a way out. Its easy for other studios to screw Netflix as they are the only successful streaming platform when it comes to profitability. Netflix could still make tons of content outside US if required. They will be ok with a strike if things dont go as they feel is right. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

streaming chandler bing GIF

"What's that? I can't hear you over these sweet Korean cheddar! Who needs those greedy Americans anyway?"

I really think you're overestimating how much K Dramas sell in the US and underestimating how much a strike will affect Netflix's many domestic productions. Netflix is not strike-proof nor would they benefit from a strike.

• Like 2

WGA member here. Just a note for whatever it's worth that the WGA negotiating committee is operating under lock and key. They've told members absolutely nothing about progress on negotiations. Any intel you hear (especially from somebody like Sneider, with respect) is absolutely not coming from our side. There's just no strategic benefit from the guild leaking anything to the press. So a rumor like Netflix being the holdout, if it's not made up, would be coming from someone with connections to the AMPTP... perhaps to undermine their solidarity, perhaps to undermine ours... who knows!

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Oh yeah of course. Disclosing whether they're currently happy with what they've currently negotiated or not would be a terrible tactic. The details won't come out till the deal is made.

If someone's leaking that Netflix is the holdout it's one of the other studios who wants this shit done with and doesn't want to get blamed

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Oh yeah of course. Disclosing whether they're currently happy with what they've currently negotiated or not would be a terrible tactic. The details won't come out till the deal is made.

If someone's leaking that Netflix is the holdout it's one of the other studios who wants this shit done with and doesn't want to get blamed

Or it's Netflix to try to intimidate the WGA.  It'd be something of a 3D chess move but putting it out in the Trades that "We don't want a strike, but we have months of material stored up and can weather the storm far better than our competitors" is exactly the message a company like Netflix would want to send at the 11th hour to try to put the screws to the WGA. 

"Working the refs" isn't just restricted to the sports world, as can be seen in political circles.  

Now it probably is true that some of the leaking is from folks pissed at Netflix.  And on the whole, Netflix would probably not want to be the center of attention as there is safety in numbers.  But if interests have already diverged and if Netflix already saw the blame coming their way?  Framing the story as "Netflix is the holdout because they think they can outlast the WGA" isn't an unbelievable tactic when it comes to negotiating through the press.

• Like 3

I was looking at the 2024 film slate and a lot of them have already been filmed, this is very different to even a decade ago where films tended to be shot, edited and released within a year of release. It's why I don't think there will be a so called 'delay storm' for release dates

9 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I was looking at the 2024 film slate and a lot of them have already been filmed, this is very different to even a decade ago where films tended to be shot, edited and released within a year of release. It's why I don't think there will be a so called 'delay storm' for release dates

Yes, but also... Many of the films may be shot, but if there's a strike, those films are stuck. No reshoots, etc. So if the studios are happy with all of them, sure yeah go ahead, but if any changes are needed, they're going to have to delay.

• Like 3

Just now, ChipDerby said:

Yes, but also... Many of the films may be shot, but if there's a strike, those films are stuck. No reshoots, etc. So if the studios are happy with all of them, sure yeah go ahead, but if any changes are needed, they're going to have to delay.

I'm sure there will be some films delays but I'm not convinced it's going to be as disastrous as some claim it'll be, you won't see Covid scale delays to the current 2023 slate or even 2024 because a strike is something while inconvenient is something studios and producers can control to an extent. 

2 hours ago, Jonwo said:

For films, probably no. For shows, absolutely.

I've pretty much accepted that the strike is going to happen by now except 1) it's highly unlikely to last as long as the previous one did 15 years ago (not sure 3 months is even possible anymore with the presence and influence of social media now) and 2) on the movie side, while nothing is going to be impacted that's already filmed, it'll probably have some effect on 2024's slate even if it's not on the same level as the previous one did across the release schedule throughout 08/09. Which doesn't seem like too bad of an idea because I just looked at the movies dated for 2024 so far and the year is a mess. Furiosa, Planet of the Apes, Garfield, and IF all slated for Memorial Day weekend? Despicable Me 4 and The Lion King 2 both on 4th of July weekend? March is really overstuffed too. Now that it's looking like they'll have little choice but to sort the schedule out when looking to the distant future, they'll have time to do so.