The Wild Eric

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

4 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Come the fuck on.  There is a reason why streaming services don’t reveal their viewership, and it’s not because their shows are bombing or people don’t watch it. What you are doing here only serves to reinforce a narrative about shows you don’t like ‘bombing’ while Disney is happily making money out of them and paying their creators shit.

And if you can’t tell this is systemic and far beyond just Disney, I don’t know what to tell you. We can’t really have a decent conversation here without silly flame wars shit? I’m glad that Cody was brave enough to share this, but it’s clearly an widespread issue.

i think the only reason streaming services will not report numbers is because wallstreet will overreact ,anything not an instant hit is disaster for them

Edited by Ryan Reynolds

1 minute ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

i think the only reason streaming services will not report numbers is because wallstreet will overreact ,anything not an instant hit is disaster for them

This is silly. We don’t really know how well any of these shows actually get viewership and every time someone tries to make with Samba numbers I roll my eyes. The AI talk is very flashy, but the real and most poignant reason that the both guilds are striking is that the streaming services are doing a shitload of money and not paying their actors and writers what they are due. The business model isn’t sustainable is an excuse they use so they can maximize their profits. 

Wall Street is fickle and thinks short term yes, but for what they are concerned, the less people that work on these projects can receive so they can maximize profits, the better. Streaming isn’t going away, we will lose movie theaters as we know them before that ever happening. 

1 minute ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

It's complete bullshit that Studios can pull series, much less ones that win Emmys, from their streaming services.

It's happened again at this year's Emmys. Grease: Rise of the Pink Ladies just got nominated for two Emmys and yet it was removed by Paramount for tax write-off.

Even if I don't like a show or a movie I just don't understand leaving things unreleased or pulling shows and movies. It turns the medium into as corporate as you can get and it's fundamentally anti-art.

1 hour ago, Bob Train said:

From a business perspective, cancelling batgirl was the correct decision. From an artistic perspective? Maybe not. The mistake he made was not cancelling the Flash also and sending Shazam 2 and Blue Beetle to MAX. All the Keaton nostalgia bait movies should have been cancelled.

No marketing campaign in the world could have saved Flash, It got a B CS, it was universally hated by audiences. Maybe it would have done Shazam 2 numbers without the astroturf campaign they ran.

All of these rich CEOs are overpaid by a ridiculous degree. Yet until now no one cared how overpaid Iger was. The fact Deadline used Iger as their anti-union spin agent proved that people are just biased to him despite being a major asshole.

I don’t think the Max transition has really hurt the service, the anger seems to mostly be on niche online circles. and not transcend to reality

Fair enough, all these guys are garbage, I know that, but I don’t know why people are so happy that Iger has returned to Disney. it’s not like he has done much improve Disney. He seems to be making a lot of vague promises he has been making but not following up on them. For example, saying that less Star Wars content is needed right after dating 3 Star Wars movies in a 2 year span. 

Disney is where it is right now because of Iger.

He chased out any and every potential successor from the company who could threaten his position. Created Disney +. Chased only large IP while gutting everything else. Purposely loaded up every big tent pole release for his final year so he could go out on top of a historic year.

Then dumped it on Chapek. Chapek was not good, and never should have gotten the job. But the way people scapegoated every single thing on him always rang false.

But Iger set all this in motion. The real question is why did he ever come back? He could have waltzed into the sunset and his public perception would still be incredible. He would have left on top because not many would examine what he left too closely,only looked at the success.

Now he's taking massive hits in his public persona and people are examining his role a lot closer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, FunkMiller said:

Voice actors do indeed count. So animated films will be affected, as will video games, I'd imagine.

Basically, anything that requires the input of either a writer or actor at any stage of development will not be able to continue. 

Just to confirm, @Mulder was 100% correct here.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

i agree , it should get a 1 year minimum , Disney pulling stuff after 6 weeks should not happen

I have friends in the WGA, and every time we talk, I keep saying “are you going to make sure there are streaming time minimums in your contract?” 

because like 99.9% what’s going to happen is the studios are going to agree to the writers conditions, and then they’re never going to air the show ever again after like the first month so that they can just get around what they agree to it. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Anyone being foolish enough to think that what the writers and actors are asking for is nothing short of obscene and being edgy about the residual pay of writers that worked on Marvel shows are just being obtuse tools and that’s exactly what the studios are banking on, that their work on what make the streaming platforms and studios an insane amount of money is worthless.

3 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

no i amazed fandom is strong  for few shows that are "genre"

they get a few paid vacations to Europe, some cash in on podcast craze too , maybe better pay than residuals

Crazy, isn’t it? Almost like because the residuals for streaming is shit like the workers that are part of the WGA and SAG-AFTRA have been saying all along! 

4 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

J-Law is much more on the side of the working actor than the studio head.

This.

I think most people here doesn’t really know how capitalism works. The rich people, the actual ones, receives absurds amounts of money, 200-300M a year, sometimes even more.

JLaw getting 25M for a movie is so far from all of this. I get it that when you throw a number without context it looks absurd, and maybe it is, but JLaw getting 25M won’t solve workers lives, CEO’s not getting 300M maybe would. 

Especially because let’s be real, JLaw doesn’t get 25M monthly, is for a movie, she don’t release many movies and i’m 100% sure she doesn’t get paid this much for every movie she’s in. Is very different from the absurd monthly salaries CEO’s get for example. 

The whole discourse just sounds like people vomiting common-sense phrases that are made by design by the cultural industry to make poor and revolutionary people look bad. How? Using people that are in a better position as the face of the whole thing so everyone can focus in how much RDJ makes and suggest that everyone in the union have a wealthy live because RDJ have so they’re all just being greedy. That’s how the actual rich people way less known by general audiences keeps being unnoticed and force people to think the fight is useless and greedy.

We all see DIS doing all of this with ScarJo, we know their method, we know if they can do this with one of their biggest star that everyone loves they can apply the same logic to everyone else striking, we really shouldn’t take the bait at this point. 

Let’s just focus on the actual demands, the actual absurds people are having to pass through to live, the insanity these executives lives because they’re so wealthy and the insanely  evil ideas they have not only from a human pov but also an artistic one (the whole IA thing for example). 

Making endlessly arguments about how much Chris Pratt get paid is only diluting the importance of this fight and we can’t be part of this. Because of this, my only post about the megastar salaries and why discussing this is absurd will be this one only.

Edit: oh the discussion ended apparently, so yeah, nice.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

The studios must just absolutely love it when the politics of the United States makes people so prone to division and bias, that they’ll actively and consistently defend company CEOs over workers. Yet those same people will still whine and complain when their personal circumstances are threatened.

• Like 1