The Wild Eric

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

1 hour ago, Youngstar said:

He is still insisting on that it's basically done...

That's what I mean. Because of these dubious scoops we have all this drama with people arguing whether it is in fact done or not. And when the actual news comes in that they still have a lot they need to negotiate, people interpret that as some kind of breakdown.

Edited by AniNate
  • Heart 1

1 hour ago, eddyxx said:

Scoopers talking about the strike is so laughable. They barely get right what’s going to happen in the movies but they somehow know what the studio execs and union negotiators are doing behind the scenes. 

The actors being told a strike is within reach is from the trades.

18 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

Literally what Jeff Snieder and John Campea are saying.

I believe that they already have compromised on the key issues and are now just fine-tuning/ironing out language. People may disagree with them but they clearly have inside sources. Barring a catastrophe, it seems likely the strike won't bleed into the next year.

57 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

I believe that they already have compromised on the key issues and are now just fine-tuning/ironing out language. People may disagree with them but they clearly have inside sources. Barring a catastrophe, it seems likely the strike won't bleed into the next year.

I mean production isn't restarting till then anyways so aside from promotion for Wonka there's no real difference 

1 hour ago, Bob Train said:

We are way past the break glass in emergency phase.

I'm surprised Gov Newson hasn't forced someone from the state into the talks to speed things along.

Edited by Mojoguy

Promotion restarting quickly may be a condition of the strike ending. It is a bigger union with more members to get guidelines out to, but I currently don't think promotion waits until full ratification. Probably by the Napoleon/Wish week promotion has restarted, if not earlier. That said, the machinery of actually filming doesn't get going for at least a few weeks, and by that time it is the holidays. Nothing is going to seriously shoot until January. Mostly these two months will be taking stock of what can get shot and what can get delayed.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Promotion restarting quickly may be a condition of the strike ending. It is a bigger union with more members to get guidelines out to, but I currently don't think promotion waits until full ratification. Probably by the Napoleon/Wish week promotion has restarted, if not earlier. That said, the machinery of actually filming doesn't get going for at least a few weeks, and by that time it is the holidays. Nothing is going to seriously shoot until January. Mostly these two months will be taking stock of what can get shot and what can get delayed.

It's been brought up a couple of times, but there's also the logistical issues of actor (and for that matter crew) availability.  An actor can't be on two shoots at once, so there's gonna be some jockeying and possibly horse trading going on between (and, hell, within) studios.

Even for things like reshoots or pickups, that's gonna be an issue where you have to coordinate the availability of different actors and shuffle schedules because of it.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Porthos said:

It's been brought up a couple of times, but there's also the logistical issues of actor (and for that matter crew) availability.  An actor can't be on two shoots at once, so there's gonna be some jockeying and possibly horse trading going on between (and, hell, within) studios.

Even for things like reshoots or pickups, that's gonna be an issue where you have to coordinate the availability of different actors and shuffle schedules because of it.

That’s correct. More actors will probably be dropping from previously announced projects because of this. 

Aren't there whispers going around Twisters will have to be delayed an entire year cause they're going to have to recast some of the roles (and therefore will need to reshoot those scenes) due to actor availability? A lot of actors had to drop projects that were already filming during COVID as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cappoedameron said:

Literally what Jeff Snieder and John Campea are saying.

Them being right isn't the point. It's a lack of respect for the good faith negotiation process that it's coming from them before it is straight from sag AFTRA. They care more about "calling it" than just letting things play out as the parties involved want it to.

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

Them being right isn't the point. It's a lack of respect for the good faith negotiation process that it's coming from them before it is straight from sag AFTRA. They care more about "calling it" than just letting things play out as the parties involved want it to.

SAG has been basically awful during this whole strike. WGA handled it leagues better they truly should be embarrassed. I'd give Fran a severance package and get her the hell away from her position.

36 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

SAG has been basically awful during this whole strike. WGA handled it leagues better they truly should be embarrassed. I'd give Fran a severance package and get her the hell away from her position.

Complete and utter nonsense, and too typical of what's been common in this thread.

The strike has dragged on because, in both cases, the studios walked away and refused to negotiate for months at a time. Nothing Fran did was as destructive as that, plain and simple. Oh no! She said not to wear Halloween costumes based in studio IP! She brought a stuffed doll to Negotiations! Meanwhile the studios...refused to negotiate for months. But SAG is awful? Bulls---.

• Like 7