The Wild Eric

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

And what Emmy have to do with this? Of course they delay it, it’s a month away and they literally depend of actors and need to make rehearsals.

What’s the point of make a ceremony to give awards to actors without them? 

Is not remotely the same thing of releasing a movie. Not that delays won’t happen, that’s not my point, i just don’t see why Emmy being delayed will be the turning point to delay movies.

Only that those rumored movie delays are probably about to become true lol (more so Drive-Away Dolls than Dune since it's already skipping the fall festivals when it would make it to them otherwise, and is set to come out within what would've been a week of the Emmys). You know what they say about where there's smoke...

(also wouldn't surprise me if Expendables 4 loses its September date too since the ensemble cast is meant to be the draw and they won't be able to promote it since I wouldn't put faith in AMPTP coming to their senses soon)

10 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

And what Emmy have to do with this? Of course they delay it, it’s a month away and they literally depend of actors and need to make rehearsals.

Is not remotely the same thing of releasing a movie. Not that delays won’t happen, that’s not my point, i just don’t see why Emmy being delayed will be the turning point to delay movies.

Right.  The Emmys getting delayed has been known for awhile. They didn’t have writers so they can’t even plan the show normally. It was just a question of whether they would delay it to November or next year.

Edited by babz06

2 minutes ago, babz06 said:

Right.  The Emmys getting delayed has been known for awhile. They didn’t have writers so they can’t even plan the show normally. It was just a question of whether they would delay it to November or next year.

Pretty sure it's going to be until January to be on the safe side. 

13 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I wish I had your optimism. I actually had when this started, me and @Jonwo were easily the most optimist for minimum delays. Not so much anymore.

6 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I wish I had your optimism. I actually had when this started, me and @Jonwo were easily the most optimist for minimum delays. Not so much anymore.

I’m sure more movies will get delayed but not everything will.  We really have to worry about 2024 line up more than 2023 , especially Q4 2024.

Edited by babz06

Just now, babz06 said:

I’m sure more movies will get delayed but not everything will.  we really have to worry about 2024 line up more than 2023 , especially Q4 2024.

2024 is kinda safe. I’d worry about this year’s last half and 2025. Not Q4 2024.

The studios will still want to salvage the Q4 box office (and awards season) for this 2023 as much as they can so anything that gets delayed from this year will be either due to post-production setbacks or for more breathing room. Not a big deal tbh.

22 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

Many youtubers with insiders in hollywood like grace randolph and john campea are hinting that they don't expect anything to get done until after labor day weekend from their sources in the industry.

The thing is, no one actually knows anything. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

The thing is, no one actually knows anything. 

Especially the people mentioned. We really need to stop giving twitter insiders the time of the day. I’d trust Jeff Sneider over them, and I don’t trust Jeff Sneider.

2 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

2024 is kinda safe. I’d worry about this year’s last half and 2025. Not Q4 2024.

It’s not safe when several films had to stop production or haven’t even started yet. If this thing lasts deep into the fall they will be forced to start reshuffling dates. 

2 minutes ago, babz06 said:

It’s not safe when several films had to stop production or haven’t even started yet. If this thing lasts deep into the fall they will be forced to start reshuffling dates. 

Hence why I think that the delays this second half will be more brutal than we expected. I can see The Marvels keeping the date since that has already a trailer naming the November 10 date. The rest? With possibly no actors promoting it? I think a lot of films are moving.

23 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Hence why I think that the delays this second half will be more brutal than we expected. I can see The Marvels keeping the date since that has already a trailer naming the November 10 date. The rest? With possibly no actors promoting it? I think a lot of films are moving.

It's easy to pinpoint which studio movies are likely to stay and which ones are possibly in danger of moving. Equalizer 3 (Denzel hasn't done much promo for anything in a while - and at this stage in his career, he doesn't need to either), Nun 2, Greek Wedding 3, Haunting in Venice, Paw Patrol 2, Saw, Kraven, Exorcist, Marvels, Hunger Games, Trolls, Wish, Wonka, Aquaman 2, Migration: all movies relying more on brand power and don't need the stars to push them. Aspiring awards titles hitting the fall festivals: Dumb Money, Holdovers, Next Goal Wins, Poor Things, Ferrari. Killers of the Flower Moon and Napoleon are getting theatrical releases from Apple more to appease their filmmakers than for big box office. The powerhouse names behind The Color Purple that can sell it are producers. Something like The Creator is being sold as a big screen experience. If those titles are all we get for the rest of the year, it wouldn't be the end of the world for theaters or the 2023 box office.

• Like 1

https://deadline.com/2023/07/how-actors-writers-strikes-impacting-uk-1235449245/

"The source thinks that Disney was happy shuttering Amateur to demonstrate the “absolute impact” of the strike. Others suspect that it is a useful excuse for studios to throw a leash around spending and rebuild balance sheets. Disney CEO Bob Iger, an industry elder who many hoped could be a voice of reason, did little to disabuse people of these theories when he said SAG-AFTRA’s demands were not realistic."

Edited by dobrevv
  • Sad 1

One thing that makes me think thisll go longer than anticipated is it means everyone can cut spending without needing to save face about reducing spending to shareholders.

"we're cutting back in spending because of the strike, not because we all went all in on streaming and it isn't paying off the way we wanted!"

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 2