The Wild Eric

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

On 9/16/2023 at 5:20 PM, Jonwo said:

The actors have found ways to promote things without breaking SAG rules, I've seen Millie Bobbie Brown promote her novel on Today for example and Chris Meloni promoted a campaign he's doing. 

As long as what you are promoting has nothing to do with the studios SAG is  on strike against it, you are free to promote is without  breaking SAG rules.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

As long as what you are promoting has nothing to do with the studios SAG is  on strike against it, you are free to promote is without  breaking SAG rules.

Actors do seem have a lot of side hustles. Stanley Tucci was on Today promoting his range of cookware. 

16 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Actors do seem have a lot of side hustles. Stanley Tucci was on Today promoting his range of cookware. 

Francis Coppola swears he made alot more money from his Wine business then he ever did as a filmmaker.

And for a while, it was almost a law that any sucessful actor would open a restaurant in LA.

Tucci has made a nice second career from his being hobby of being a foodie.

Edited by dudalb

On 9/16/2023 at 8:20 PM, Jonwo said:

The actors have found ways to promote things without breaking SAG rules, I've seen Millie Bobbie Brown promote her novel on Today for example and Chris Meloni promoted a campaign he's doing. 

The best loophole was Matt Owens ( the showrunner of the one piece live action series) going on Hasan Piker's stream to talk about the one piece manga and anime.

4 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

It definitely won't end today, if only because they'd still need to draw up the contract and then start this over with SAG, but this is a very good sign that it's not just gonna be bullshit 

It's my understanding the last time they were also there and it was bullshit.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 21C said:

It's my understanding the last time they were also there and it was bullshit.

2 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

The studios were, not the actual CEOs themselves.

This isn’t the first time company leaders have dealt directly with the WGA amid the 2023 labor conflict. On Aug. 21, WGA leaders met with Iger, Langley, Zaslav, Sarandos and AMPTP president Carol Lombardini in a gathering that went south. Not long after the meeting, the AMPTP released its Aug. 11 offer to the union, adding that the organization was “deeply committed to ending the strike and are hopeful that the WGA will work toward the same resolution.” In its own communication about the meeting, the union claimed that in their meeting with top executives, “we were met with a lecture about how good their single and only counteroffer was” and decried the latest offer’s “limitations and loopholes and omissions.”

That was the infamous "take this great deal" meeting/lecture that caused talks to collapse for a few weeks.

Anyway, it is my opinion that the absolute best thing we can hope for today is... to hear absolutely nothing as that means the folks in the room and the folks outside of it connected to the talks are more busy talking to each other instead of trying to negotiate in the press via strategic leaking.

The second best thing we can hear is the infamous "progress is being made, but hurdles remain" soft rumormongering as that couldmean progress is being made but it also could be an attempt to get one side or the other to shit or get off the pot which could easily backfire in a tense moment like this.

The third best thing we can hear is that "talks are encouraging and constructive".... and nothing else, pretty much for the exact same reasons given in the first point.

The worst thing we can hear is... Well pretty much what went down at the August meeting.

Consider the above a spectrum from best to worst.

===

IMO, there is practically zero percent chance this is done today as there's simply too much ground to cover even if one side or the other rolls on its belly. But if we hear any sort of positive sign out of the next few days?  Well, we'll see, as the saying goes.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 6

Netflix definitely wants to get a deal done especially since they have a new massive hit with One Piece. So even now with Stranger Things ending they got their next big flagship show already set up for success. Avatar I don't have a lot of faith in because the creators left over creative differences with the showunner.

Disney has Percy Jackson coming up which I'm excited for because it looks great towards the book though I am nervous of the demographic it's targeting. Ahsoka isn't being as well received as they expected which is a damn shame I love it however I can understand that for this show specifically they wanted the audience to do homework in the thing of watching Rebels which not a lot of people watched. Ahsoka is basically S5 of Rebels and if you didn't watch Rebels you have no attachment to any of these characters.

Max has almost next to nothing that can salvage it at the moment.

Edited by Cappoedameron
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Cappoedameron said:

Netflix definitely wants to get a deal done especially since they have a new massive hit with One Piece. So even now with Stranger Things ending they got their next big flagship show already set up for success. Avatar I don't have a lot of faith in because the creators left over creative differences with the showunner.

Disney has Percy Jackson coming up which I'm excited for because it looks great towards the book though I am nervous of the demographic it's targeting. Ahsoka isn't being as well received as they expected which is a damn shame I love it however I can understand that for this show specifically they wanted the audience to do homework in the thing of watching Rebels which not a lot of people watched. Ahsoka is basically S5 of Rebels and if you didn't watch Rebels you have no attachment to any of these characters.

Max has HBO content to tide it over like The Gilded Age.

16 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

I don't think One Piece is really a so massive hit. It has a pretty good start and social network spoke a lot about it. However, it couldn't really compare to the big hits like Stranger Things and Wednesday in Netflix.

One Piece is currently under Vigin River S5 and Dear Child in the Top 10 Netflix shows. Both TV shows were released only one week after One Piece.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

Max has the last of us, house of the dragon, and white lotus

• Like 1