The Wild Eric

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

34 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Honestly, considering the AMPTP offered a lot of protections to the writers from AI, I feel they are likely ready to offer a lot of protections to actors too.

Obviously, AI's danger for actors is different to the danger for writers. However, it seems studios are ready to offer protections on this.

8 hours ago, DInky said:

This is totally one of the main reasons the WGA got their deal. The studious saw this bill and realized that guild members only have to hold out for three more months and then the studios' bargaining power would be gone.  I now expect the SAG-AFTRA strike to go on much longer because the studios think they can starve them out.

Why would they even finally make a deal with the writers and then still play hardball with the actors. They want this over. Next year's movie schedule is already a going to be a cluster-f why make it worse. Doesn't mean the actors will take what is offered and it could drag on though. 

• Like 1

The writer's deal on AI basically means that at no stage in a production will AI be able to be used without a writer having some involvement (even that's just getting paid and very little else) so I expect a similar kind of thing for the actors. This will probably be sewed up pretty quickly.

1 hour ago, FunkMiller said:

The writer's deal on AI basically means that at no stage in a production will AI be able to be used without a writer having some involvement (even that's just getting paid and very little else) so I expect a similar kind of thing for the actors. This will probably be sewed up pretty quickly.

Yeah it has to be something like: If a studio uses a digital double of an extra/actor (so then the person doesn't need to come to set) they need to be paid as if they were there. Or something along those lines. Studios will always need to do digital doubles for scenes, so this(or something similar) seems to be the only way.

33 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

We'll know more likely about where they're at at the end of the day today, but I have a feeling they'll be much closer than WGA was after their first meeting. The game is over and now it's just about where they meet in the middle on these, not if.

Keeping Fran out of the room would probably  be smart also. 

21 minutes ago, Squire said:

I predict today that hopes of a quick resolution of the actors’ strike will be dashed. I think it’s gonna take until just before Thanksgiving. 

Zero percent chance. That'd be calamitous for the entire 2024 slate for everyone. The studios have no incentive to fuck themselves over like that after having already caved to WGA

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Zero percent chance. That'd be calamitous for the entire 2024 slate for everyone. The studios have no incentive to fuck themselves over like that after having already caved to WGA

They didnt cave they negotiated a deal which is less than half of what wga was asking for  if sag is insisting on revenue sharing the strike is going into 2024.

1 hour ago, darkangelfire said:

They didnt cave they negotiated a deal which is less than half of what wga was asking for  if sag is insisting on revenue sharing the strike is going into 2024.

They totally caved in that there were several things they said "well never do that" and then the final deal totally does, like minimum staffing. They want this done with. It won't be today, but it won't be past October.

30 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

They totally caved in that there were several things they said "well never do that" and then the final deal totally does, like minimum staffing. They want this done with. It won't be today, but it won't be past October.

I dont consider that caving when wga wanted minimum staffing for all show of at least six writers, the amptp made them accept three writers and have an exception where writers who writer everything themselves and are showrunners dont need to have a writers room so mike white can write the white lotus without staff, caving isnt a thing when your forces to make concessions too that's just a negotiation.

If the sag want the 2 percent revenue sharing scheme I guarantee this stroke is going beyond October 

12 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

See, this is what I mean. They would not bother with bringing in the CEOs if they were just going to shut out SAG like they did in their earlier meetings in July.

I mean they had a meeting with ceos before and it was just them lecturing the wga on what a good deal this is and how you should accept it and the strike went on for over a month after that point, I caution anyone who expects this to be a quick process, if sag arent willing to accept a similar pattern of demands that the wga accepted the strike is going to have to last longer for the ceos to think of conceding any points.