The Wild Eric

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

Bringing this back from last week

But ooooh...Fran is the problem! SAG's behaving badly by not negotiating fast enough with people who refused to negotiate with them!

Nonsense.

Edited by KC7
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, KC7 said:

Complete and utter nonsense, and too typical of what's been common in this thread.

The strike has dragged on because, in both cases, the studios walked away and refused to negotiate for months at a time. Nothing Fran did was as destructive as that, plain and simple. Oh no! She said not to wear Halloween costumes based in studio IP! She brought a stuffed doll to Negotiations! 

Yes, both actions made SAG look like idiots, especially compared to the WGA who also faced smear attacks from the AMPTP but handled them professionally. Having support from the public is very important for morale in a strike. 

14 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

This is a dumb question but are the numerous TV movies from Hallmark, Lifetime etc covered under the AMPTP or not? I imagine they shoot so many per year that you wouldn't really notice. 

They received waivers. Hallmark would go bankrupt if they can't produce their Christmas movies, they immediately agreed to the terms because the strike fell right during prime shooting season.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, grim22 said:

They received waivers. Hallmark would go bankrupt if they can't produce their Christmas movies, they immediately agreed to the terms because the strike fell right during prime shooting season.

It's always surprises me they film Christmas movies in the summer, I would have thought shooting in January or February would make sense 

Been in SAG-AFTRA's corner this whole time but they've definitely made some publicity blunders in recent weeks (that even SNL has made fun of) and Fran's continued statements, including this week, about how she doesn't need "male energy" to be a good leader (what does that even mean lmao? We're really still trying to score social media brownie points in 2023 huh) are winning over absolutely no one. She's doing an A+ job lately proving that she has no future re: her political ambitions, knowing all of this would come back to haunt her (and given society's double standards towards women, would actively sink her chances).

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Been in SAG-AFTRA's corner this whole time but they've definitely made some publicity blunders in recent weeks (that even SNL has made fun of) and Fran's continued statements, including this week, about how she doesn't need "male energy" to be a good leader (what does that even mean lmao? We're really still trying to score social media brownie points in 2023 huh) are winning over absolutely no one. She's doing an A+ job lately proving that she has no future re: her political ambitions, knowing all of this would come back to haunt her (and given society's double standards towards women, would actively sink her chances).

Fran's social media is cringe, using Gr8 instead of great makes her look like a fuddy duddy who can't use technology.

8 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

I have a question, what's the goal for winter/spring 2024? Are we gonna get scripted programming for some shows to run for 7-8 episode seasons or is the goal now to wait till Fall 2024 to release full seasons because early 2024 is already shot to hell in the network TV world.

I have no idea, but I see that the IT series, White Lotus and Euphoria all just got bumped from 2024 to 2025 by HBO. 

Do people even bother reading the damn article even Duncan Crabtree is pleased with this. Because it means they're taking their proposal seriously. 

“I would be worried if they got back to us in a couple of hours, then I’d think they weren’t taking [the proposals] seriously,” a guild source told Deadline. “This is how it should work if we want to get to a good and fair deal.”

• Like 1

3 hours ago, harry713 said:

Euphoria season 3 is never happening, is it? SMH 

Zendaya's probably the only person who wants it to return after all the reports of on-set drama due to the Emmys she's won for it. :lol:

That cast is going to be Ben Platt in the Dear Evan Hansen movie levels of awkwardness in a high school setting by the time they finally film it unless they do a time jump.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

Do people even bother reading the damn article even Duncan Crabtree is pleased with this. Because it means they're taking their proposal seriously. 

19 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

Good point or he is just playing nice not wanting to say anything that would give the AMPTP an excuse to end talks for the year.