The Wild Eric

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Wasn’t there supposed to be some kind of “deadline” today for resolving it in 2023? Did I make that up? 

That's what The Wrap (i believe) said, but i don't think it's true.

But if they don't resolve soon, the studios don't have any incentive to resolve it this year since the tv season is kaput or something like that from what i understood

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Maggie said:

That's what The Wrap (i believe) said, but i don't think it's true.

But if they don't resolve soon, the studios don't have any incentive to resolve it this year since the tv season is kaput or something like that from what i understood

As long as there are good faith efforts to continue the negotiation process, I don't think there was ever any hard and fast deadline. That idea came from an anonymous source as a basis for a scarepiece

I do think this needs to be resolved basically now. I don’t know if anyone is really considering what the impact of a 2024 that sees very little new tv or film entertainment would likely have on consumer habits.

Younger consumers have already pulled away from movie theaters, meanwhile people in general haven’t been watching as much TV since being cooped up for 2 years with covid. A year without much tv or film options could essentially kill off theaters for real and drastically change consumer habits for several years to come. A lot of people may simply become disinterested in film and television on the same level they have been popular for decades. Gaming in particular has been on a huge explosion, and could be one of the things that acts as a “replacement” hobby in their absence if this isn’t resolved soon and we see a “lost year” next year so to speak.  

23 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I mean only the WGA and AMPTP know if the offer really was the same. The "best and final" reports all came from secondhand sources and we never saw what that actually looked like. Very well could've still been some tweaking before it was accepted 

If I'm not mistaken, we heard about the "best and last offer" on Saturday, while they reached a tentative deal on Sunday. So, a tweaking could happen, but I really doubt a big change.

Anyway, I hope this means they would reach a deal today or tomorrow.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1

Best and final offer usually indicates the final deal. There will likely be some minor tweaking but they’ve been negotiating back and forth nearly 3 weeks( not counting the week long break in between)  so I’d be disappointed if this isn’t the end. 

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Feels like the end is close, but who knows. If there's no talks scheduled this weekend, then maybe by Friday.

It seems like we are now to the point where the suspended movies won't start back up until Jan anyway and same for Network TV shows so there is no rush to seal the final deal. It's sad they had to drag this out but here we are. 

14 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Marvels gets screwed. Maybe SAG just wanted to screw over Disney before making the deal.

Disney: SAG, the joke is on you. That movie didn't have opportunity regardless actors promotion.

Edited by Kon