Eric Duncan

THE CREATOR | 09.29.2023

20 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

The way they edited the trailer really remind a Netflix Original but this looks absolutely gorgeous and ambicious, directing seems strong as well 

It just need a good script, which means go beyond the simple emotional hook they sell on trailer

Dream On was a poor choice. Really wish the trailer was more vague about the plot. 

• Like 2

Am I the only one who isn’t terribly impressed by what we’ve seen so far? I know people are hungry for original sci-fi films, but this comes across as a very paint by numbers post-2010s sci-fi story. It seems like something Neil Blomkamp would make, and I don’t really mean that as a positive. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Am I the only one who isn’t terribly impressed by what we’ve seen so far? I know people are hungry for original sci-fi films, but this comes across as a very paint by numbers post-2010s sci-fi story. It seems like something Neil Blomkamp would make, and I don’t really mean that as a positive. 

It depends, i do think it reminds some other scifi movies of the past decade visually and [based on the trailer] tonally

But many of those movies failed due to lack of strong emotional hook imo, while this one seems to care a lot about it, considering the dillema they presented in the trailer in the image of a child 

Let´s see how it goes, test screenings went well and i suspect this can be in the TIFF lineup

People gonna call me racist but I am gonna be honest: I can't exactly point the finger at what, but there is something missing from John David Washington. Like... he is a good actor and I like him, but he doesn't have the main star charisma/presence for these types of leading roles (maybe it is because of the inevitable comparison with his dad which is a fucking legend and can make me watch anything, but idk).

21 minutes ago, CJohn said:

People gonna call me racist but I am gonna be honest: I can't exactly point the finger at what, but there is something missing from John David Washington. Like... he is a good actor and I like him, but he doesn't have the main star charisma/presence for these types of leading roles (maybe it is because of the inevitable comparison with his dad which is a fucking legend and can make me watch anything, but idk).

lol this is hardly a controversial (let alone "racist") take. It's becoming increasingly apparent with each movie that JDW hasn't inherited his father's completely natural charisma and will forever live in his shadow.

Speaking of which, he and Denzel will be bookending September between this and The Equalizer 3.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

lol this is hardly a controversial (let alone "racist") take. It's becoming increasingly apparent with each movie that JDW hasn't inherited his father's completely natural charisma and will forever live in his shadow.

Speaking of which, he and Denzel will be bookending September between this and The Equalizer 3.

I need The Equalizer 3 to be injected into my veins. Give me Denzel killing douchebags every year please.

12 hours ago, CJohn said:

classic nepo baby

I don't see no Training Day or American Gangster level performance ever coming out of this guy thats for sure

• Like 3