movies!movies!

Imaginary | Lionsgate | March 8, 2024

On 11/16/2023 at 1:57 PM, Krissykins said:

Bumped back a month to March 8th. 

This ended up being a weird move on Lionsgate's part. Night Swim ended up really benefiting from being the only horror film in release from beginning of December to end of this month - it opened well enough for a silly-sounding original horror film and despite awful WOM it ended up nearly tripling its opening weekend thanks to absolutely zero competition. Not sure if the movie is any good, but if it had still opened on 2/2 it might have out-opened Argylle and could have even been the second biggest release of the month. Now it's opening amidst four possible $100M+ grossers and closer to other horror competition (Immaculate, First Omen). 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JonathanMB said:

This ended up being a weird move on Lionsgate's part. Night Swim ended up really benefiting from being the only horror film in release from beginning of December to end of this month - it opened well enough for a silly-sounding original horror film and despite awful WOM it ended up nearly tripling its opening weekend thanks to absolutely zero competition. Not sure if the movie is any good, but if it had still opened on 2/2 it might have out-opened Argylle and could have even been the second biggest release of the month. Now it's opening amidst four possible $100M+ grossers and closer to other horror competition (Immaculate, First Omen). 

Agreed, seems like a very dumb move. 

Interesting tidbit from Deadline:

"Universal has a first look on Blumhouse titles, I understand, and opted not to release. Blumhouse shopped the movie and it wound up at Lionsgate..."

Given the director I already assumed this would be bad, but seems a given based on this info lol

1 hour ago, Taylor said:

Interesting tidbit from Deadline:

"Universal has a first look on Blumhouse titles, I understand, and opted not to release. Blumhouse shopped the movie and it wound up at Lionsgate..."

Given the director I already assumed this would be bad, but seems a given based on this info lol

Would the movie have been finished when Universal opted not to release it or did that happen at a scripting stage?