The Wild Eric

THE LITTLE MERMAID WEEKEND THREAD

9 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Disney loses out on the secondary market. If they sold their movies to a secondary streamer, they could potentially make more rather than selling it to themselves.

Disney+ still needs to "pay" Buena Vista the fair market price for streaming without actually getting any benefit out of it. And conditioning audiences that a movie will be on streaming soon potentially cuts box office legs as well.

No. Streaming help movies, there are people that do not go to cinemas until they watch the movie on PVOD first. GvK did great day and date, Blacl Widow made more money with D+ combined than shang Chi amd Eternals. And people on the internet (grain of salt) seemed to not like Black widow. 

Edited by Day and Date The Best
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

2 minutes ago, Day and Date The Best said:

Another Factor Today is the season finale of HBO Succession and Barry. MV5BZTY0YjU0NTUtMGRmNS00NDMyLWI2MzYtNjM2

Everyone is actually going to be still so busy playing Zelda to watch these.

• Haha 9

8 minutes ago, Killimano3 said:

Do they have a breakdown of racial demographics yet? I've only seen the gender/age ones

Via Deadline

Diversity demos strong across the board, with 35% Black, 25% Latino and Hispanic, 26% Caucasian and 11% Asian. Most vibrant lands for Ariel were the East, South, and South Central. 

Is 26% Caucasian really bad for a big OW where black audiences came out in huge numbers? Also that Latino % seems impressive enough.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Maybe for the moment, but people are starting to catch on they will see the movie on streaming relatively soon after theaters and they won't go to theaters anymore

I think people are pickier cause they can wait for streaming but that should improve quality control.

23 minutes ago, Claudio said:

But Maverick did it with $700M came from Dom. Do you think Mi:7 will reach those figures while Mi6 Fallout only earned $220M Dom? MI7 basically needs to triple its predecessor’s gross in US.

or Are you expecting something like $450M Dom (doubling Fallout which is also almost impossible) and $1.1B OS? The OS figures needs to be the same like No Way Home which fueled by nostalgia and hype.

I think you’re just daydreaming and need some sleep.

It has to increase its International by even less though. So it could increase its international further to make up a lower dom vs maverick. I think 1.5bn is too much but it’ll be over 1bn.

6 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

What about the money generated from subscribers? 

Ten of millions paying 100 per year.

That's the question of " are these subscribers going to disappear if Strange World or Lightyear aren't on the service"

Basically what is keeping them on there? Disney+ has one of the lowest ARPUs in streaming (average revenue per user). So while it might generate revenue, the actual money being made isn't great. So again we come to the question of what is keeping them subscribed. Is it really the new movies or shows or is it the catalogue content and acquired shows like Bluey.

You are amortizing all your new content against existing subscribers. At some point the burn rate isn't sufficient to keep up.

• Like 4

It feels like we've regressed in the last seven years. I don't even think a racebent Ariel would've been so controversial in 2013. I think the right-wing has found a way to turn every seemingly "progressive" movie or TV show into a lightning rod in ways that weren't possible before. No one took the Christians who said Harry Potter was Satanic seriously, but nowadays movies like Strange World or Lightyear can be made out to be inappropriate for children.

6 minutes ago, Day and Date The Best said:

Another factor: 

There's also the series finale of Marvelous Ms Maisel, AEW Double or Nothing, the Indy 500, EPL final day, Monaco GP, Barry finale, the IPL final (postponed to tomorrow due to rain). It's a pretty big sporting and TV day today for sure. 

I'm not sure any of those would cause enough damage on their own but all together there can be small dents.

12 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

By the simple logic that white Little Mermaid was a smaller franchise than Aladdin in the 90s?

But yes, so was white BatB but Emma Watson as Belle was what boosted THAT remake's BO. I can't think of a current teen/early 20's white actress for Ariel who could pull in audiences like Watson's casting did.

Not emma levels but sadie sink would have probably been the best bet BO wise... but can she even sing?? its not a BaTb situation... ariel is known for her voice so halle was fine

9 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Via Deadline

Is 26% Caucasian really bad for a big OW where black audiences came out in huge numbers? Also that Latino % seems impressive enough.

Yeah I was gonna ask as well what is the last major blockbuster we have seen with that low of a Caucasian share? 

Edited by MovieMan89

40 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

A big issue is that right-wingers are more homogeneous, and will get behind a boycott of something like this to make a point. The left is less homogeneous as a whole in the US, and even contains people who think a racebent Ariel is a problem. Aside from that, there are also people on the left who don't want to support a corporation like Disney, as well as just people burnt out of remakes, or who only see arthouse movies.

lol, ive heard that same argument but with sides flipped before

13 minutes ago, Day and Date The Best said:

No. Streaming help movies, there are people that do not go to cinemas until they watch the movie on PVOD first. GvK did great day and date, Blacl Widow made more money with D+ combined than shang Chi amd Eternals. And people on the internet (grain of salt) seemed to not like Black widow. 

Godzilla v. Kong would've made considerably more DOM with no day an date nonsense. Black Widow would've made considerably more DOM if not available Disney+. Of course if made more than Shang Chi and Eternals. Black Widow has been in a ton of MCU stuff is an OG Avenger.

• Like 2

This thread is weird. People are weird. Very curious to see the Portuguese number for The Little Mermaid. I think it opened well above Aladdin here which is cool. I saw it today. Halle is a star. The movie is fine in itself. I can see it reaching a 300M+ total DOM. Hopefully it does 600M+. Legs in Europe should be great with the start of Summer weekdays and Elemental only opening in many places in mid July. It also helps Spider-Verse is not a big thing here. Asia was always doomed from the start. How are things looking in Latin America?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Via Deadline

Thanks for the data.

If the new audience supply (and overcame) the audience lost, it wouldn't be bad at all. We can't be sure if this happened or not.

My issue was people completely denying the possibility that change of race could have a negative effect in DOM. I've understand people don't like this, but it's a real possibility.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1

I think Disney brand is just not there like in 2019.

People really annoyed how they tanked Marvel and Star War films lately...

Disney seems to just remake anything then take risks. Then if they take risks they just alienate audiences of orginal proudct.

• Like 3