The Wild Eric

THE LITTLE MERMAID WEEKEND THREAD

59 minutes ago, baumer said:

Where are you guys reading or hearing that death threats are being uttered? I just want to make sure that I am correct in saying that the original of The Little mermaid was animation wasn't it? Are there seriously people in this world that are getting upset did a black actress has replaced a white animated character? And I'm not trying to be facetious or sensational at all in this question I'm actually being sincere. Where are these death threats coming from?

Most of it is complete narrative. There was supposedly an “explosion” of racist backlash against the movie when it was announced that a black woman would be starring in it, yet every news story quoted the exact same two or three tweets from accounts that had single digit followers. 

Edited by Chaz
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, Chaz said:

Most of it is complete narrative. There was supposedly an “explosion” of racist backlash against the movie when it was announced that a black woman would be starring in it, yet every news story quoted the exact same two or three tweets from accounts that had single digit followers. 

See, that's kind of what I thought it would turn out to be. Yes there is racism all across the world and we're never going to get rid of it. But it seems like this is a sensational kind of story where what you just described here has been used as fuel for the fire when again as you just said, it's just a bunch of little cunts on social media spreading hate. And if it was never picked up by the mainstream media this probably would have went away

• Like 3

Just remember that no matter how big The Little Mermaid is, the trolls will always either claim it was a conspiracy and that people were "paid to like it" or just find their next target to unleash their bigotry on.

It's all so very "ain't you tired, Miss Hilly?" at this point.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, baumer said:

See, that's kind of what I thought it would turn out to be. Yes there is racism all across the world and we're never going to get rid of it. But it seems like this is a sensational kind of story where what you just described here has been used as fuel for the fire when again as you just said, it's just a bunch of little ---- on social media spreading hate. And if it was never picked up by the mainstream media this probably would have went away

Racism gets clicks. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Noctis said:

What's the Friday number for Mermaid?

About 29 million true Friday and that is from rth

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

About 29 million true Friday and that is from rth

I'm always confused. Is true Friday with the previews or without the previews?

Edited by Kon

5 hours ago, Agafin said:

I don't really see why the backlash to race swapping is seen as racist. Was the backlash against race swapping in Gods of Egypt or Ghost in the Shell also seen as racist against whites?

Can you really not see the difference in those examples?

• Like 3